Poll

If I were taking an online course on Permaculture, the way I would prefer to get the information is by:

Watching a lecture
0 (0%)
Watching a multimedia presentation
2 (100%)
Listening to a podcast
0 (0%)
Reading the material online
0 (0%)
Reading a book
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: September 04, 2013, 10:04:02 PM

AuthorTopic: FREE PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE!  (Read 9605 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: FREE PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE!
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 05:53:25 AM »
COOL!  Let us know when you have something we can review!

I like the idea of a Library of many Short Vids on specific topics, as opposed to a few long lectures.  Just my 2 cents.
I will definitely let you know once I have the first draft of the first 3-hour course, Introduction to Permaculture, ready.

Basically, what you're suggesting is what I had in mind for option 2 in the poll, the multimedia presentation, except they would be tied to together by something like Powerpoint.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »
well, I said multimedia, which is really obvious if you think about it.  I mean any online college course is going to be multimedia with some video and powerpoint.  Thing is, that's more labor intensive to put together. 

Look, I don't have a problem with watching a lecture, but at least put somebody on that god damned camera and don't just turn it on and off.  Basically they didn't give a shit about the viewers online.  Somebody said "hey, let's just turn a camera on and then we can sell the class after its been done to online viewers.  Maybe it gets better, but I don't care to find out, and I doubt that it does.  Watch video number 7, put it about 10 minutes in to get an idea what I'm talking about.  They also sell the same material on dvd for 300 dollars...which I don't know why anybody would buy that crap. 

I don't mean to be hating on them, but it's obvious that there was next to no effort spent on the most important part of the venture which is the recording of the lecture.  You gotta do just a few things.  One, make sure if you're gonna be subjecting the viewers to the student question and comments, that they can be heard by the viewers.  Second, when there is visual material that the professor is covering, move the camera so that the viewer can see WTF he is talking about.  Larry Korn got up several times and the camera remained put.  I get that it's free...but you can get all the dog shit you want free out of my yard if you want.  I won't charge you to pick it up and do whatever you want to with it.  Fact of the matter is that anybody's time will be much better served by reading a few books on permaculture than watching these videos for maybe a PDC at some point...that will still have to be paid for. 

I think they are doing more damage then good with this online class.  I also think that it wouldn't take much to put together something better then what they have.  Couple strategically placed mics (or probably just one really good one) and somebody on the camera would fix most of the problems they had.  That and don't subject the viewers to interpersonal relationship building shit.  What good is that for somebody watching online?  Hell I can't stand that shit in person when I'm attending those types of things, but I understand the need and importance I guess.  Even still, people gravitate towards the people they gravitate towards.  At the "Permaculture in Action" class that I took, we did that interpersonal shit the first weekend.  Get to know everybody through those games and exercises.  Touchy feely.  All it does is show you the people you can't stand more quickly I suppose.  People naturally gravitate towards other people they will like once they get to know them.  I think our bodies just know. 

Anyways.  I really think an online PDC is what's needed for the permaculture scene to get even more traction.  It should be as inexpensive as possible.  Even free until the end.  I think that's a good idea.  You just have to pay for the paper PDC certificate after completion. 

JD, I have until January when Mursing school starts.  I'd love to knock out a PDC in that time.  Don't have any damn money but I got time.  I'd work with you and be your first online student.

One other thing about the regenerative folks online class.  You have to press a button that says "complete lesson" after you watch the video to have it tally that you've watched it.  So basically somebody can just start the video and hit "complete lesson" all the way through and get credit?  Sometimes the button doesn't work.  They've got a lot of bugs.  Somebody needs to do an online specific PDC course.  Not a course for people present that online viewers can waste their time on.  But a class made for online viewers.  I don't foresee anybody wasting their time all the way through that nonsense.  I'm sure as hell not going to do it. 

And William, did I learn anything practical in the first 8 hours?  No, nothing I wouldn't learn reading the intro and first chapter of probably just about any permaculture book out there.  However, since GM started to watch herself, I got "Gaia's Garden," and "The One Straw Revolution" out of the deal because Larry Korn states that they are basically the text books for the course.  Plus I have Shepard's "Restoration Agriculture" on deck waiting to be read. 

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 10:02:31 AM »
If you want to see some really good free Permaculture videos, you should check out Geoff Lawton's site:

Surviving the Coming Crises
Property Purchase Check List
5 Acre Abundance on a Budget
Urban Permaculture: The Micro Space
Absolute in Abundance

You do have to provide an email and have cookies enabled.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »
And William, did I learn anything practical in the first 8 hours?  No, nothing I wouldn't learn reading the intro and first chapter of probably just about any permaculture book out there.

I don't think there is any subject out there you can't learn the Information just by reading the book.  Wanna learn Organic Chemistry?  Read an Orgo Textbook!  Wanna learn Differential Equations?  Read a Diff Eq Textbook!

OK, you should do the Problems also to check your understanding of the material.

Anyhow, the course needs a Syllabus of textbooks, that is probably the first thing JD needs to add.

Since today everyone expects Multimedia, the next thing is to pick a bunch of videos,preferably ones available on You Tube for free.

Then, what is the Practical Component?  Similar to "Lab" in Organic Chemistry.

Then what are you Measures and what kind of Testing do you do?

Do you have a written requirement?  Should a person be able to write a decent sentence to get a PDC?  Or is just digging holes good enough?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 06:35:07 PM »

I like the idea of a Library of many Short Vids on specific topics, as opposed to a few long lectures.  Just my 2 cents.
I will definitely let you know once I have the first draft of the first 3-hour course, Introduction to Permaculture, ready.

Basically, what you're suggesting is what I had in mind for option 2 in the poll, the multimedia presentation, except they would be tied to together by something like Powerpoint.

I've been popping in to look, impressed with how quickly you're pulling it together.

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »

I've been popping in to look, impressed with how quickly you're pulling it together.

I'm here to help.  Give me something to believe in.  I'll help if our cause is close enough.  I've got 4 to 5 months before the gate kept mursing shit begins. 

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 08:58:10 PM »
Anyhow, the course needs a Syllabus of textbooks, that is probably the first thing JD needs to add.
I just typed "permaculture" into the search box at Amazon.com and got 782 results. 

What I am intending to do is actually do a literature review as one of the 3-hour blocks.  I've picked out 14 (so far, at least, but I'm feeling pretty comfortable) of the most significant books in the field, either because of their influence or for breaking new ground.
Since today everyone expects Multimedia, the next thing is to pick a bunch of videos,preferably ones available on You Tube for free.

Do you have a written requirement?  Should a person be able to write a decent sentence to get a PDC?  Or is just digging holes good enough?
The biggest part of the answer to that is that this is a Permaculture DESIGN Course.  Effective communication of the design is an absolutely essential part of the process.  That said, communication can be any combination of oral, written, graphical, videotaped, etc.  As long as the design is communicated clearly in at least one form, that is sufficient.

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 09:12:19 PM »
I just typed "permaculture" into the search box at Amazon.com and got 782 results. 

What I am intending to do is actually do a literature review as one of the 3-hour blocks.  I've picked out 14 (so far, at least, but I'm feeling pretty comfortable) of the most significant books in the field, either because of their influence or for breaking new ground.

The biggest part of the answer to that is that this is a Permaculture DESIGN Course.  Effective communication of the design is an absolutely essential part of the process.  That said, communication can be any combination of oral, written, graphical, videotaped, etc.  As long as the design is communicated clearly in at least one form, that is sufficient.

Fuckin' A...I got a design man 8)