AuthorTopic: DINER SKYNET GOES LIVE!  (Read 8904 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
DINER SKYNET GOES LIVE!
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
The video I dropped on produced by the Occupy Monsanto folks was PRECISELY what I was looking for to produce a Diner TV Talking Heads show with Multiple Guests.

Turns out our good friend Sergei and the techies at Google have zipped up Google Hangouts so you can do video conferencing with up to 10 people AND broadcast it AND record it on You Tube all at the same time!

Monsta and I did a brief test of the system for live chat today, and next Sunday we will hold an Informal Chat with whoever shows up to test the Broadcasting and recording aspects of this system.  If it all works, the following Sunday I will invite some of the Collapse Stars we have done Podcasts with to join us in a Round Table discussion of Occupy Monsanto.  This would put that broadcast a little over a Week before the Scheduled Actions on September 17th.

To use Google Hangouts, no additional Software is required as with Skype, though there are downloads involved as add-ons.  I had some minor problems in getting it going, nothing major though.  Sea Gypsy got in real problems with Skype, at least for me I did not find real issues with Google Hangouts yet.  For any Diners interested in getting in on the Round Table discussions, get yourself a Google+ Account and send me or Monsta the email addy you used to create it, and we can test it out with you over the course of the week here.

Maximum number of people on one Conference is 10, so if more Diners show up than that, there will be Triaging, mostly on First Come/First Serve basis.

This should be quite entertaining.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: DINER SKYNET GOES LIVE!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:59:13 PM »
We brought JDW in to do further testing, and I will inform you guys that overall Google Hangouts is NOT intuitive.  You may find difficulties in hooking up with the Parties we hold.

We will try to develop a Tutorial for Newbies on this to help you along.  Monsta and I will be doing further Testing tomorrow on doing Live Streaming on You Tube and recording the Round Tables.  If you are online and want to join in the testing, feel free to IM on Skype or PM on the Diner.  We should have it worked out well enough by next Sunday for an informal chat.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:36:03 AM »
OK, I have now I *think* got the DinerTV YouTube channel hooked up to the Google  Diner account, so it should be possible in our test tomorrow to create a YouTube record of the Conference.

Also possible through this system is Livestreaming, although we are not signed up for that yet.  Apparently you gotta prove yourselves to the Google PTB that you are responsible on issues like Copyright and so forth, but I don't think it will be a problem.  In any event, doing it absolutely LIVE isn't necessary at the moment, since I doubt too many people will wanna schedule watching such a thing live, just do it at their convenience.  Long as the Conference is recorded and then up on You Tube later for viewing, this is fine for now.  Perhaps if Diner Reporters are covering Protests or something like that the Live feature would be good to have, but not necessary for Talking Heads shows.

The real neat thing about this is that you will be able to watch all of it right on the Diner through Embedding, whether live or recorded.  I am hoping to organize a regular Monthly Round Table of Collapse Bloggers to discuss the latest in Collapse Issues and Dynamics here on the Diner.  If all goes well, our first recording of such a Round Table will be in 2 weeks, right before the Occupy Monsanto actions.  I will try to get some of the folks we have done Podcasts with to participate in this Round Table.

From the POV of creating Vids this way beyond just the Talking Heads stuff, you would need a Camera that is connected to your Laptop other than the one that faces you on the screen.  I will pick up one of those if/when it becomes necessary.  I don't think that will be too soon for me, and besides that you can hook your Iphone or Tablet into this system, and use the cameras on them for recording events while the Conference is being recorded.

So, for instance, if Surly went to a Rally held by David Cobb, he could train his Iphone on the Podium where David was speaking from, while the rest of the Diners sit around the the Round Table at the same time.  You can pass across text messages to each other as the audio is ongoing and Mute your microphone, so not as to disrupt what the person is saying during a speech.  Then, on conclusion of the speech, Round Table discussion can begin.

The main hangup I see early on here is that as I mentioned, Google Hangouts is not terribly intuitive, so Diners may have some trouble getting hooked up at first.  then after that, any Guests we invite in also will have to figure this out in order to be included in a Hangout session.  For the technological Luddites out there (and there are quite a few of them even if they are Bloggers), this could prove difficult.  Obviously also, anyone participating needs a Laptop with a Camera and Mic at minimum.

At least for now, it won't be possible to edit these chats and clean them up as we do with the Podcasts.  They are one-shot deals recorded in entirety, and pretty much have to stay as they lay.  We don't have access to each of the individual streams coming in to edit them, only the complete package the Google software puts together.  Best that could be done would be to edit out a section of the recording where everybody is screaming at each other.  LOL.

So, said system is not a Replacement for the Podcast, rather a supplement to them that we do occassionally to bring larger groups of people together for a discussion/debate.  The limit right now is 10 I believe, which should be plenty.  In doing Podcasts so far, I think up to 4 people can be handled OK, Hangouts would be for from 5-10 Diners and Guests.

There are quite a few other features to the Hangouts, such as being able to display on the screen instead of your Talking Head something else you bring up on your laptop, like a Picture for instance or a Screen Shot.  So it is possible to retain Anon on the system if you choose to do so.  I am 50-50 on this right now, not sure if I will stay Anon or come out from behind the Bullwinkle Mask.  LOL.

All in all, I have to hand it to Sergei, Ray Kurzweil and the rest of the Techies at Google, they put together exactly what I was looking for and all for FREE to use!  Of course, it all goes straight into the NSA database, but then so does EVERYTHING we write on the Diner anyhow.  Whatever.  If they assign an Operative to Monitor Diner Hangouts, we'll educate said Operative.  As for me, I will keep on going with this until the Boys in the Black Cadillac Escalades show up at the Cabin to ship me off to GITMO.  This technology is too good not to use, here at the End of the Age of Oil before it all goes Bye-Bye.  Glad I made it Walking the Earth long enough to...wait for it...

PUMP UP THE VOLUME ON THE DOOMSTEAD DINER!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PuuCezrAUKk?feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PuuCezrAUKk?feature=player_embedded</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »
Here ya go gang!  Monsta and RE do the first test broadcast on Hangouts!  We got it figured out!  Check in on this thread for Instructions on getting connected via Google  Hangouts if you have some problems.  Monsta will try to have a Hangout going most nights this week for you to test getting hooked up before we do the Round Table.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gqJ5We0e09M?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gqJ5We0e09M?feature=player_detailpage</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »
Judging from the way you appear on this, we should all wear ski masks, right?
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »

Heh heh.

I am still doing my Anon thing, so I pointed the camera at my Hat.   :icon_mrgreen:  Monsta however is not doing Anon, so you see him.

Your choice which way you wish to go on this, you might get one of those V for Vendetta masks for yourself if you want to do Anon.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »

Heh heh.

I am still doing my Anon thing, so I pointed the camera at my Hat.   :icon_mrgreen:  Monsta however is not doing Anon, so you see him.

Your choice which way you wish to go on this, you might get one of those V for Vendetta masks for yourself if you want to do Anon.  :icon_sunny:

RE

IMO anon ain't what it used to be. I assume the NSA knows every thing about me down to my size of preferred adult diaper.

To each his--or her-- own.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »

IMO anon ain't what it used to be. I assume the NSA knows every thing about me down to my size of preferred adult diaper.

To each his--or her-- own.

It's not the NSA I am trying to remain Anon from.  To use all these services you have to drop on your phone number, which I pay with a debit card linked to a bank account in my name.  So it is not Anon from that POV at all.  The Anon is from the various nut jobs who populate the internet who can at times cause you misery IRL.

You are not Anon from some of them either, the better hackers and netheads and so forth can figure out who you are by a variety of means.  This really bugged the hell out of BC2K when I informed him of the vulnerablity of his Doomstead of being pinpointed this way.  He did not realize this, and immediately dropped off the net once I told him.

Anyhow,  I think it lends an Air of Mystery to the RE Persona.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »
I figure I'll probably just throw on my work clothes....
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vidcast Test Broadcasts
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
Monsta and I did another test today of Hangouts, this time with Ugo Bardi over in Italy.  We didn't record this one, mainly I just wanted to make sure I could get one going and hook it to the Diner TV You Tube Channel, and this appears to be no problem.

At least so far, it appears the only way you can Join one of these Hangouts is if whoever starts the Hangout emails you an invitation.  So if you want to be included in the Main Test on Sunday, you need to tell me and tell me what email addy to send the Invite to.  You can PM those to me.  Monsta said the invitation also appeared as a Text Message on his Cell Phone.  So far I have myself, Monsta, Haniel and Ugo as confirmed to be at the main test on this Sunday, Noon Alaska Time/9PM UK Time.

You should also try to get on over the next couple of days with Monsta or me or both of us to become a little familiar with the proceedure.

Slow going so far getting Collapse Starz for the Monsanto Podcast.  Only Ugo so far, and this is not his area of expertiese.  Anybody with ideas of some people to invite, lemme know.

RE
Save As Many As You Can