AuthorTopic: I Spy Doom  (Read 15063 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
I Spy Doom
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:14:30 PM »
Greetings Doomfans!

Welcome to Episode 1 of I Spy Doom here on the Doomstead Diner.  :icon_mrgreen:

I had a few technical glitches in getting this up, the Bluetooth Headset/Mic I picked up is not working right, the headphones connect but the Mic doesn't.  So I couldn't do the Audio in real time as I had hoped, I had to do it as a Voice Over after videoing silent.  To do that, I had to download Windows Movie Maker, which I am a real Rube with.  I'm just glad I was able to figure out how to do the VO.  I'll get better with the editing in time, I promise.  Stephen Spielberg I am not at this time.   LOL.  Another glitch was the first version of WMM I downloaded was in GERMAN, so I couldn't figure out the Button Labels.  LOL.

I do have one Cool Technical Innovation though, CART-CAM!  :icon_mrgreen: This gives nice smooth Tracking Shots without hand jiggle while you do your Shopping.  It is also very inconspicuous, nobody knows they are being videoed.  The NSA got nothing on me.  Spy vs Spy!  LOL.

Anyhow, without further ado, Episode 1 of I Spy Doom!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4gIo6NBMCZA?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4gIo6NBMCZA?feature=player_detailpage</a>

RE

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: I Spy Doom
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:04:01 PM »
Must find flint. Must find work to pay for doom supplies.  :-[ I have some good ideas though, about vids.  :icon_mrgreen:

WHD

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
Must find flint. Must find work to pay for doom supplies.  :-[ I have some good ideas though, about vids.  :icon_mrgreen:

More the Merrier on Doom Vid Production!  I really think this will get people dropping in on the Diner to see what kind of Craziness we drop on all the time.  :icon_mrgreen:  Name your own Show!

Any digital camera, even cheap ones will work OK, and Windows Movie Maker is a Free Download.  Doing voice overs afterward is better than real time, since you can re-record if you trip over your words.  I didn't bother with that with this one, I was too anxious to get it up.  LOL.

For this one, I used my Samsung Galaxy Tablet, but I think since the Bluetooth didnt work right next time I will try a digicamera I have.  Then I may look for an Upgrade to a camera that will take my other headset for it's audio.

Also, if somebody here really gets GOOD at doing post production work on Vids, we can send the raw files to that person to create a Full Feature Presentation of Diner Doom.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline monsta666

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:56:14 AM »
Nice one, didn't think this would be up so quickly. If you want a good piece of sound editing software which is free then try out Audacity. It is intuitive and straightforward to use as it is easy to cut/add any sound you desire through it. I am not sure what can be done with Windows Movie Maker but you can join/split most video files using Avidemux which again is a free piece of software. Do not have much experience with it but know the basic functions do work.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 08:59:41 AM »
Nice one, didn't think this would be up so quickly. If you want a good piece of sound editing software which is free then try out Audacity. It is intuitive and straightforward to use as it is easy to cut/add any sound you desire through it. I am not sure what can be done with Windows Movie Maker but you can join/split most video files using Avidemux which again is a free piece of software. Do not have much experience with it but know the basic functions do work.

At a future date, if I ever have time to "Go Pro" as a filmmaker I might add audio mixing to zip it up.

WMM does enable you to clip together stuff, do wipes and fades, make titles etc, at least the old version did I worked with years ago.  I only messed with it a short while though.

Right now, I'm just happy to be able to do the Voice Overs and get something up on Diner TV.  Hopefully this will encourage more of you to make videos.  As you mentioned to me on Skype, there isn't another Doom website out there so multimedia rich.  It's a real selling point for the Diner.

One thing I will say is that making longer videos would be problematic on the Upload side.  Even this short 2.5 min vid was like 50MB.  Unless I compress it down to a smaller window, anything of decent length would run gigabytes.

RE

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »
Cool film! I like the cart cam. I'll never go in Walmart again without a disguise, though.

I'm going out now and find some of those magnesium strips. I NEED those, and some of those strikers too. Guns and knives I'm okay on, although I do need to replace some pocket knives I had to donate to DHS at various airports.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »
Cool film! I like the cart cam. I'll never go in Walmart again without a disguise, though.

I'm going out now and find some of those magnesium strips. I NEED those, and some of those strikers too. Guns and knives I'm okay on, although I do need to replace some pocket knives I had to donate to DHS at various airports.

Glad you liked the Premier Episode of I Spy Doom!  Particularly since I embedded it in my coming Quest for Fire article, which I will be sending to Jimbo for publication on TBP also.  :icon_mrgreen:  Can't wait for the Troll Attacks on the Vid.  LOL.

Said article Chock Full of other good Firemaking Ideas and tools also you might want to pick up.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
I am now fully equipped with magnesium stick and striker. And also had my consciousness raised vis a vis the current TV-stoked survival supplies market.

Question? Who the fuck is Bear Gryllis and why is his striker better than the generic model?

And did you know that you can buy a survival kit-in-a-can that has everything you might need to survive a massive shift of the poles, all in a tin with a pop top lid, about the size of a can of sardines? I almost bought one just for a conversation starter at dinner.

And best of all, they had these little colorful nylon webbed wrist bands. "Survival bracelets" in every bright color of the rainbow, and then some. Seems it's the preferred way to carry around 14 ft of heavy cord to use in case of emergency...perhaps to hang yourself when you run out of food.

I really have to get out more.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »
I am now fully equipped with magnesium stick and striker. And also had my consciousness raised vis a vis the current TV-stoked survival supplies market.

Question? Who the fuck is Bear Gryllis and why is his striker better than the generic model?

And did you know that you can buy a survival kit-in-a-can that has everything you might need to survive a massive shift of the poles, all in a tin with a pop top lid, about the size of a can of sardines? I almost bought one just for a conversation starter at dinner.

And best of all, they had these little colorful nylon webbed wrist bands. "Survival bracelets" in every bright color of the rainbow, and then some. Seems it's the preferred way to carry around 14 ft of heavy cord to use in case of emergency...perhaps to hang yourself when you run out of food.

I really have to get out more.

I gotta get up a Doom Store here on the Diner.  Cha-ching!  LOL.

I know what your next Weekend Project will be.  ;)  Make sure you read Quest for Fire first thing tomorrow before you go on another Prep Run.

Bear Grylls is an Aussie who does a Survival show on the Discovery Channel.  Much of it is pretty clearly faked, but it is entertaining.  They like to cast Aussie's in these type of shows ever since Crocodile Dundee.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
Oh lordy  ::) A pop-top lid? Seriously?

This is a popular topic on survivalist boards, but they all start with a small metal box with a hinged lid, like Sucrets or Altoids.  Here is one example.  The point isn't everything you need to survive, it's what is useful to have with you at all times for when you are caught completely by surprise.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »
Oh lordy  ::) A pop-top lid? Seriously?

This is a popular topic on survivalist boards, but they all start with a small metal box with a hinged lid, like Sucrets or Altoids.  Here is one example.  The point isn't everything you need to survive, it's what is useful to have with you at all times for when you are caught completely by surprise.

I prefer the Waterproof boxes which come in a multitude of sizes down to cigarette pack size.

Really though, the Camping dept at Wally World and Freddie's up here are Cornucopias for the Doomer.  I love the little Pocket Wire saws you can fit in one of those Survival Kit boxes.

RE
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:32:57 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 01:41:06 AM »
Here's my FAVORITE tool though, the Hobo Knife, which detaches to form a Fork and Knife set, plus Spoon, can opener and Corkscrew.

I figure this is the last tool I try to hold onto when I am in the FEMA Concentration Camp.  :icon_sunny:

I carry one all the time.  Use it for eating stuff I buy for lunch instead of Plastic Wear.  That's why I wear that Fishing Vest all the time.  The pockets are loaded up with tools like this.  Leatherman, Swiss Army Knife, Razor Knife etc.  LOL.  Plus they are big enough also for my Samsung Tablet and Cell Phone too!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 05:39:35 AM »
I prefer the Waterproof boxes which come in a multitude of sizes down to cigarette pack size.

Really though, the Camping dept at Wally World and Freddie's up here are Cornucopias for the Doomer.  I love the little Pocket Wire saws you can fit in one of those Survival Kit boxes.
Yep, I absolutely adore those Pocket Wire saws.  WARNING: DO NOT PUSH ON THEM like you would a regular saw, they break easily.  Just run them back and forth.  Apply just enough pressure to keep in contact with the wood.

And they are not just for survival, either.  They are great for pruning in close quarters.  You literally need almost no clearance.  Pruners and saws need at least the width of the blade.  With this you can just pass the ring through.

Thanks for the info about the waterproof boxes.  I knew they existed, but I didn't know they came in cigarette pack size.  You know, it is pretty easy to set up a virtual store with Amazon  ;D
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 05:51:44 AM »
You know, it is pretty easy to set up a virtual store with Amazon  ;D

Cue Ignoring the Trolls.   :icon_mrgreen:

I wanna get up a Doom Store with RE's Best Picks for Doom Preps.  Fuck Bear Grylls.  LOL.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
I have several of those waterproof boxes and a couple of dry bags,from my whitewater days. I've found them very handy.

When I was buying strikers, i also picked up a supply of waterproof matches, to last me until I get good with that flint and steel. I'm a don't-throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater kind of guy.

You can't fool me. You want those wire saws in case you need to garrote a zombie.