AuthorTopic: I Spy Doom  (Read 15087 times)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dont try this at home kids
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »
Now when playing with firestarters you need a little tinder,  but don't carry half the post office in your pocket like this guy  ;D

And btw bear Gryllis is not an aussie RE,  he's a Pom lol. My sister lives in alice springs and last time I was there someone told me he did a survival show out there and was being picked up by helicopter to go back and sleep in a resort at nights.
:exp-rolleyes:

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
I Spy Doom Episode 2
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 02:10:16 AM »
OK!  Text and Video for the second episode of I Spy Doom now Ready for Prime Time:icon_mrgreen:

Topic for this episode is FOOD, and the Green Thumbs here on the Diner should get a kick out of it I think.

I cannot get the whole thing up tonight for publication tomorrow, as the vid this time came in at 80MB, which I will NOT load up via my wireless net connection and eat up the bandwidth.  I will load the Vid to Diner You Tube tomorrow from work.  So it won't show up until late in the day for most of you in the lower 48.

Made some improvements to my Editing for this one, I now can at least cut clips out for length and knock off disruptive camera shut downs and so forth.  I still have to figure out how I want to shrink the file sizes for longer vids.  Overall though, I think I will keep the Episodes to 5 minutes and under.

Once again, I encourage the other Diners to get their own Diner TV Shows going so we have material on a variety of topics and interests to drop on each week on Diner TV.  Permaculture Gardening techniques, Slaughtering Chickens, Making Fires, Building Wind Turbines, Sea Gypsy Methods, Political Exposes (maybe tour a local Tent City!) etc would be GREAT!

Let's make the Doomstead Diner #1 for DOOM on the Net!  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner TV: I Spy Doom 003 Coming Attractions-Alaska State Fair Edition
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 04:22:20 AM »
The Alaska State Fair opens on Saturday, and I will make my usual yearly visit to check out the Mega Veggies, eat a decent amount of Deep Fried Halibut and check out the latest in DOOM PREP STUFF being hawked for sale at the Fair.  This year, I will Record the trip around the Last Great Frontier Fairgrounds for a series on I Spy Doom.

COMING SOON TO A LAPTOP NEAR YOU
RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: I Spy Doom
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 01:40:39 PM »
Sorry to be missing the Mega Veggies. I'm shooting for next year on that one. Really.

Looking forward to the next episode of I Spy Doom. I need to review my whole food stash...I have a lot, but then, I have lots of hungry mouths to feed. I originally began my preps with one of those calculated survival package deals from Pleasant Hill Grains.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/foodpak1.aspx

I originally got a 3 month supply for 6 people, roughly two years ago. I've added to it quite a bit. I have the mylar bags and the sealable buckets and the de-oxygenating tabs and the giant seal-a-meal sealer thingie. It's not a bad system. I have a grain mill, because they recommend storing whole grains rather than flour and meal.

Those pre-packaged kits are heavy on grains...so for the last year or two I've mostly been adding canned goods. Oil, being the most perishable, I rotate through the kitchen. I buy big cans of olive oil. In the cans, in my cool basement room, the oil keeps for more than a year with no problem. Rice and black beans I buy at Sam's Club in 40 or 50 pound bags and then repackage them in the mylar bags, inside the sealed buckets.

I have lots of pre-Fukushima tuna..only has a bit of mercury in it to help keep it fresh. Lots of powdered milk and powdered eggs. Canned cheese and butter.  But I could probably double the amounts of everything I have now and not be overdoing it. I need to get more organized in tracking and keeping a master list, and I need to revamp my wine cellar into a more modular type storage, so I can inventory the whole lot easily.

I am suspicious that Mormons actually turned to polygamy because you need more than one wife to do food preps right.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I Spy Doom 002
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
I Spy Doom 002 now UP on the Diner Blog!

Enjoy a trip around the Produce Department with RE on Diner TV!  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
The one caveat I'd like to throw out there...not all sources of heirloom seeds are that great. I bought one of those garden-in-a-can products, the supplier of which can remain nameless, and kept it about year, and then decided to plant a variety of the seeds in the can as a test.

First off, the quantities of seeds in the individual packets was quite low...and as it turned out, of the seeds that germinated, very few of the plants ended up thriving in this hot Area 9 climate.

There are lots of sources for good seeds. I recently bought a bunch of cool looking Mexican heirloom seeds...from Home Depot, believe it or not. I have not planted any of them yet, but I will let you know how they work out.

I make a habit out of buying seeds almost every time I go to the nursery or a hardware or feed store that has a good selection. I keep some of them in the fridge, but mostly I just keep them indoors in a dark room with AC.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »
The one caveat I'd like to throw out there...not all sources of heirloom seeds are that great. I bought one of those garden-in-a-can products, the supplier of which can remain nameless, and kept it about year, and then decided to plant a variety of the seeds in the can as a test.

First off, the quantities of seeds in the individual packets was quite low...and as it turned out, of the seeds that germinated, very few of the plants ended up thriving in this hot Area 9 climate.

There are lots of sources for good seeds. I recently bought a bunch of cool looking Mexican heirloom seeds...from Home Depot, believe it or not. I have not planted any of them yet, but I will let you know how they work out.

I make a habit out of buying seeds almost every time I go to the nursery or a hardware or feed store that has a good selection. I keep some of them in the fridge, but mostly I just keep them indoors in a dark room with AC.

Besides the fact all Suppliers of Seeds are not Equal, I think there is an even bigger problem down the line for many folks who THINK they are Green Thumbs.

How many GTs have experience with collecting and storing seeds from one generation of annuals to the next?  Just about everybody BUYS seeds commercially every year, whether they are Heirloom Seeds or Monsanto's latest Fast Growing Tasteless and Nutrition Vacant Hybrid GMO variety.

Is seed collection and storage covered in the PDC course you are taking now LD?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
How many GTs have experience with collecting and storing seeds from one generation of annuals to the next?

It's a problem. Now you understand the enduring popularity of peas and corn.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
How many GTs have experience with collecting and storing seeds from one generation of annuals to the next?
Is seed collection and storage covered in the PDC course you are taking now LD?
Seed collection and storage is an important skill, one I do practice.  That said, I have lettuce, tomatoes, arugula, and beets growing in my garden that I did not plant this year.  They all self-seeded from last year.  And that's not counting the onions, garlic, leeks, chives, rosemary, catnip, and turnips that overwintered in place.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I Spy Doom: Occupy Monsanto Tuesday September 17, 2013
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »
Post I just made on TBP in the Parallel Thread for I Spy Doom 002:

"RE, you are tilting at windmills."-Marissa

No, I am just targeting material at a small subset of the population.  I don't expect the vast majority of Dimwits that populate the FSoA to ever find either the Diner OR TBP.

My Tag Line reads "Save As Many As You CAN".  You can't Save Everybody here, nor in most cases are they even worth saving.  LOL.

Although the MSM did not report on it much, Globally the actions a couple of months ago around the world demonstrating against Monsanto drew millions of people around the world. 2M people in over 50 countries demonstrated against Monsanto on the last go round.

Millions protest genetically modified food, Monsanto, organizers say

Two million people in more than 50 countries marched over the weekend in protest against a company called Monsanto, organizers claimed. CNN could not independently verify those numbers.

Monsanto is a giant, $58 billion multinational corporation with field offices in 60 countries. It was founded more than 100 years ago – and is best known for producing the chemical known as Agent Orange that scorched thousands of miles of earth during the Vietnam war.

Monsanto currently produces pesticides designed to deliver a death blow to living things, and also produces seeds designed to resist those lethal chemicals.

Now the company, with a history of questionable ethics practices and close ties to the government, may have received protection from future trouble. Slipped into a bill signed by President Barack Obama back in March is something called the “Monsanto Protection Act,” which would shield Monsanto seeds and other genetically modified crops approved by the Agriculture Department to be grown – even if there is action in the courts against them."

There is another Big One scheduled for next month,Tuesday Sept 17th, 2013

http://occupy-monsanto.com/tag/protest/

Diner Podcasts reach 50 countries now, and I know Jim has an even bigger readership base.  Together, we can reach at least a FEW of the Homo Sapiens out there worth Saving.

Call me Don Quixote if you want to, but I don't QUIT, EVER.  I am the TERMINATOR of the Collapse Blogosphere.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: I Spy Doom: Occupy Monsanto Tuesday September 17, 2013
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 05:06:12 AM »
Call me Don Quixote if you want to, but I don't QUIT, EVER.  I am the TERMINATOR of the Collapse Blogosphere.
New tagline! "COME WITH ME TO THE #DOOMSTEADDINER IF YOU WANT TO LIVE"  :icon_mrgreen:
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I Spy Doom: AK State Fair Coming Attractions-Tastes like Chicken
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 02:23:56 AM »
Greetings Doomfans!

I just got back from the AK State Fair, where I shot a TON of Vids and Pics, along with doing some Live Narration.  :icon_sunny:

I experimented with some NEW INVENTIONS, including Car-Cam and Neck-Cam on this video adventure.  Car-Cam works pretty good, Neck-Cam was a miserable failure for the most part, though I will drop on at least one of the Neck-Cam vids done over at the Portable Housing area of the Fair.  In the end, I shot most of the vids with Sony Cyber-shot Digicam that is about 6 years old.  So there is a decent amount of Hand-Shake in there, though You Tube promises to get rid of some of it as I upload my first one.

It is just Raw Footage, no post production here as of yet.  I will probably Voice Over many of these when I make my Major Motion Picture Documentary of the AK State Fair.  LOL.

Disappointment for the day was I did NOT get the Fireworks display, apparently that went off LAST NIGHT, despite the fact the Advertising Material said it was supposed to be tonight.  I didn't have time to get over there yesterday anyhow, and it sure makes no sense to do the Fireworks on the first Friday, when the attendance is way better on Saturday.  Besides THAT, it was pouring rain up here yesterday.  Today finally we dried out after a solid week of sometimes heavy rain.  Rivers around here are really swollen right now, and the whitewater Kayaking is great!  LOL.  Good news is we had a Beautiful Sunset, and with the Mountains (The Great Wall that GOD Built) in the background, it makes for some spectacular footage really.

Besides the Chickens, I also got some nice footage of Antique Tractors, Mass Consumption of Fried Foods, LOTS of Veggie and Produce stuff from the Farmers, Carny Rides at Sunset and a couple of neat interviews with a dude hawking Renewable Energy and another one who runs a traditional Forge up here making all sorts of Metal Do-Dads including Knives.

Anyhow, without further ado, here is the Chicken Department at the Fair, which maybe LD can contribute a Narration for that is better than mine.  LOL.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5_PGaVBDWIg?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5_PGaVBDWIg?feature=player_detailpage</a>

Many more vids coming over the next few weeks from the Fair, this shit will take a LONG time to edit and work up as nice Diner TV features.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I Spy Doom: AK State Fair Coming Attractions-I Spy POLLINATORS!
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 05:06:55 AM »
Greetings Doomfans!

Still more Raw Footage from today's AK State Fair Expedition!

While Honey Bee Colony Collapse is a worry for Green Thumbs everywhere, at least for this year the Bee Keepers up here on the Last Great Frontier were once again able to stock their Kiosks, so ALL the Bees are not Dead YET:icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/To5fa6hPgJU?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/To5fa6hPgJU?feature=player_detailpage</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I Spy Doom: AK State Fair Coming Attractions-I Spy POLLINATORS!
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »

Jesus, all those end of the roaders in one place and the weight/height ratio didn't look any better than any other inner city or suburbanites in a poor rural area? Whats up with that?

Large proportion of Lower 48 Touristas in the crowd.  They are the Fatties.  Typical Alaskans look like this:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: I Spy Doom: AK State Fair Coming Attractions-I Spy POLLINATORS!
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »
Greetings Doomfans!

Still more Raw Footage from today's AK State Fair Expedition!

Jesus, all those end of the roaders in one place and the weight/height ratio didn't look any better than any other inner city or suburbanites in a poor rural area? Whats up with that? Do people move to Alaska so they'll feel superior to those they elect to office (calling Sara Palin! Can you still see Russia from your house?), or hide in their cabins becoming couch potatoes knowing that unlike the poor in Appalachia or the Deep South no one is willing to come that far out of the way to discover this fact for themselves?
// Well where do you live Mr. Never ON Sunday. Or did I miss that in your misguided wanderings. ? Karpatok