AuthorTopic: I Spy Doom  (Read 16583 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: I Spy Doom: AK State Fair Coming Attractions-I Spy POLLINATORS!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »
// Well where do you live Mr. Never ON Sunday. Or did I miss that in your misguided wanderings. ? Karpatok
:LolLolLolLol: That's the funniest thing I've read online all week... Really, K?  You just asked MKing for some details about his personal life?  That is too rich.  He wouldn't even answer my question on geothermic fuel cells.... and that is supposed purely professional.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: I Spy Doom
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
JDWheeler: Look, I don't give a rat's ass where that troll lives. He cast aspersions on people living in the woods and so forth. He is obviously some kind of plant, and not the permaculture kind either. Are you too young to have caught my likening him to Melina Mercouri. Never a dull moment with cryptic and cryptology you see. K

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 08:18:31 PM »
Are you too young to have caught my likening him to Melina Mercouri
LOL... yeppers... even with a quick trip to Wikipedia she is completely unfamiliar to me....
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
// Well where do you live Mr. Never ON Sunday. Or did I miss that in your misguided wanderings. ? Karpatok
:LolLolLolLol: That's the funniest thing I've read online all week... Really, K?  You just asked MKing for some details about his personal life?  That is too rich.  He wouldn't even answer my question on geothermic fuel cells.... and that is supposed purely professional.

You once asked JD what my reasons were for keeping my publishing history private. I don't of course, publishing in peer reviewed journals puts your name out there just like anyone else, who you work for, and generally where. I've had my picture published along with the bio as well.

But I do not use my real name in web forums generally populated by those thinking the planet is circling the drain and therefore they have nothing to lose, whereas I am less pessimistic and have more to lose than just my anonymity.

Because.....once upon a time I made the mistake of using some of those "shall not be mentioned" science journal pubs to make a point. The person who I had just made look foolish first called my boss, called his boss next, and the next week showed up at the gates to the facility where I work. Got through them using my name as a matter of fact, and only was stopped upon entrance to the building.

About a year after that I let just a wee-bit too much detail slip about world oil congress presentation or somesuch in London, and a forum member in the UK who already suspected who I was, and who I worked for, asked some specific questions which led him to find that presentation, and then confirm his suspicions. He has kind enough to keep it quiet at my request, and vouched for my work in a general way without revealing either the work or identity.

After these two learning experiences, I have decided that discretion is the better part of valor. The only exception to this that I have been able to think up would be for  trusted third party to take my name and credentials, root around in my professional work, and then can be trusted to offer an honest opinion on it without actually revealing my identity nor the specific works provided as reference. But JD of the peakoildebunked blog is about the only person who I might trust enough, and maybe that forum member from the UK seeing as how he has already done just this.

Methinks JD over @ peak oil debunked should worry more about Fukushima and Abe-onomics (he says his location is Japan) than glorying in the mockery of those who suggest fracking (ie polluting of aquifers) is NOT a panacea (ie infinite energy) for the worlds hydrocarbon gluttony. LOL

WHD
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:37:03 PM by WHD »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
I Spy Doom: AK State Fair Renewable Energy
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/knRGFckbOFM?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/knRGFckbOFM?feature=player_detailpage</a>
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:27:04 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 03:39:12 AM »
What a remarkable video, enjoyed it immensely.

That energetic gent with his constructive attitude reminded me a lot of our Agelbert. It was a pleasure to meet this person and he filled me with a feeling of hope, there are still many constructive well intentioned folks in our world, that are determined to do something about our problems.

For what it's worth RE this brief clip was technically perfect in my opinion, it had none of the minor flaws your previous ones did, could have been done by a professional news crew in my opinion. What a  a nice guy to meet, Thanks.  :icon_sunny:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 04:26:56 AM »
What a remarkable video, enjoyed it immensely.

That energetic gent with his constructive attitude reminded me a lot of our Agelbert. It was a pleasure to meet this person and he filled me with a feeling of hope, there are still many constructive well intentioned folks in our world, that are determined to do something about our problems.

For what it's worth RE this brief clip was technically perfect in my opinion, it had none of the minor flaws your previous ones did, could have been done by a professional news crew in my opinion. What a  a nice guy to meet, Thanks.  :icon_sunny:

Thanks GO, though I think "technically perfect" is a pretty big stretch there.

I messed around with all my various Vid recording devices while cruising the Fair, and in the end used really the most primitive one I have for this one and most of the rest, a Sony Cybershot Digicam held by hand while recording.  Typical $150 Digicam on the shelves of Walmart, about 5 years old now.

I did a lot of recording at the Fair, and I'll drop on some more of them here to fill in the Blanks on Diner TV.  Slow Going getting the Collapse Cafe running as of the moment.  One issue is the formatting off this camera does NOT work with Windows Movie Maker, so I can't edit it at all.  Formatting off my Samsung works better for this.  I could do a convert, but it would be time consuming on uploads and downloads.  The Raw Vid I uploaded here took over an HOUR to get up while at the Coffee Shop today scarfing up some Free Bandwidth.

Next one I think I will put up from this series is Historic Tractors going back to the 1930s.  Then I got a decent one with lots of Chickens too.  LD should like that.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 04:42:17 AM »
Thanks GO, though I think "technically perfect" is a pretty big stretch there.

Amazed to hear it, thought you acquired some fancy new gear. Your others had minor sound and visual issues, this one was as clear sounding and visually clear as a pro news team doing a live documentary.

Sometimes the basic simple stuff works best I guess, and let's you concentrate on the subject rather than all the gizmo distractions that come with the fancy expensive stuff. 

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 04:50:30 AM »

You once asked JD what my reasons were for keeping my publishing history private. I don't of course, publishing in peer reviewed journals puts your name out there just like anyone else, who you work for, and generally where. I've had my picture published along with the bio as well.

But I do not use my real name in web forums generally populated by those thinking the planet is circling the drain and therefore they have nothing to lose, whereas I am less pessimistic and have more to lose than just my anonymity.

Because.....once upon a time I made the mistake of using some of those "shall not be mentioned" science journal pubs to make a point. The person who I had just made look foolish first called my boss, called his boss next, and the next week showed up at the gates to the facility where I work. Got through them using my name as a matter of fact, and only was stopped upon entrance to the building.

About a year after that I let just a wee-bit too much detail slip about world oil congress presentation or somesuch in London, and a forum member in the UK who already suspected who I was, and who I worked for, asked some specific questions which led him to find that presentation, and then confirm his suspicions. He has kind enough to keep it quiet at my request, and vouched for my work in a general way without revealing either the work or identity.

After these two learning experiences, I have decided that discretion is the better part of valor. The only exception to this that I have been able to think up would be for  trusted third party to take my name and credentials, root around in my professional work, and then can be trusted to offer an honest opinion on it without actually revealing my identity nor the specific works provided as reference. But JD of the peakoildebunked blog is about the only person who I might trust enough, and maybe that forum member from the UK seeing as how he has already done just this.

Bullshit. You previously stated somebody found out who you were and rang up and complained about you. Now they got through the gate etc. Next time I suppose  somebody will be charging a barricade in a semi truck loaded with TNT.

If you were a writer you would know basic punctuation and the difference between "You once asked, JD, ...." Suggesting JD once asked you something, and "You once asked JD...." Suggesting the reader had asked JD.

If You were an energy expert you would praise people in alaska for having extra subcutaneous insulation  in the form of fat, as well as a low surface area to mass ratio from a stout build for reduced heat exchange.

Its about as convincing as if I claimed to be a schoolgirl.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: I Spy Doom: AK State Fair Renewable Energy
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
I just wanted to say, if you're going to do any kind of a serious bike generator, you do NOT want one driven by friction against the tire; you will just wear out the tire that much quicker.  For a stationary bike, I'd recommend hooking the chain up directly, for a travelling bike I'd suggest an induction dynamo:
Contactless dynamo powering bike safety lights

http://www.instructables.com/id/Contactless-dynamo-powering-bike-safety-lights/?ALLSTEPS

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
I just wanted to say, if you're going to do any kind of a serious bike generator, you do NOT want one driven by friction against the tire; you will just wear out the tire that much quicker.  For a stationary bike, I'd recommend hooking the chain up directly, for a travelling bike I'd suggest an induction dynamo:

Chain will last longer than the tire in all likelihood, but the chain won't last forever either, especially if you use it every day with several people assigned to ride it and generate electricity each day.  Then you have the issues with motors and magnets eventually wearing out.

My guess would be after the Main Power Sources go out and Preppers are actually using these systems regularly, if well built with a good supply of spare parts maybe you can get 20 years bonus time with Lights On and some of your Power Tools still working.  After that, it's done.

You might do better all Mechanical, hooking a Compressor to the Bike and compressing air to fill tanks with, at least for Power Tools.  Electric Lights will be done when the last Diode Lights burn out.  Candle Making would be a good skill to work on.  Also Oil Lamps, you could use Veggie Oil for these.  Also, you could Render Blubber from Whales when the Insulin runs out.

Remember this story?

Plastic Surgeon Used Liposuction Fat To Power His Car, Report

RE
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:42:00 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 07:36:07 AM »
Chain will last longer than the tire in all likelihood, but the chain won't last forever either, especially if you use it every day with several people assigned to ride it and generate electricity each day.  Then you have the issues with motors and magnets eventually wearing out.

My guess would be after the Main Power Sources go out and Preppers are actually using these systems regularly, if well built with a good supply of spare parts maybe you can get 20 years bonus time with Lights On and some of your Power Tools still working.  After that, it's done.

You might do better all Mechanical, hooking a Compressor to the Bike and compressing air to fill tanks with, at least for Power Tools.
I have to disagree with you there.... the rings on an air compressor are likely to go long before the bearings on a motor, and bearings are much easier to stock up on, with an essentially infinite shelf life if kept dry (same with magnets); rubber rings would need kept in the dark with a vacuum seal.  Bike chains rarely wear out; if a link breaks, it is actually quite easy to take it out and splice back together.  The important part will be keeping your moving parts well lubricated -- blubber could be quite handy for that ;)

However, there definitely is an argument for air power: simplicity.  As long as you can maintain pressure, you can run your hoses any which way you want.  Chains basically need to go in straight lines, with complicated gears to switch angles.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
Bike generators are pretty much interesting toys, as far as I can see. I tried to pedal one of Mike's little reworked car alternators using a stationary bike he had in his shop. It was like biking up Pike's Peak.

They need to figure out better gearing and less output...maybe 50 watts instead of trying to put out 300, which is nice, but  not really achievable for most people, ever.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
And interesting that when you asked the guy how many amps the generator was putting out, he responded with watts instead of amps....he should have said he didn't know how many amps, which would have been the correct, honest answer. 

Since voltage varies proportionally with speed on a generator, so does amperage, according to V=IR where V=voltage, I=amperage, and R=Resistance, which was fixed in this case.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 10:11:35 AM »
Bike generators are pretty much interesting toys, as far as I can see. I tried to pedal one of Mike's little reworked car alternators using a stationary bike he had in his shop. It was like biking up Pike's Peak.

They need to figure out better gearing and less output...maybe 50 watts instead of trying to put out 300, which is nice, but  not really achievable for most people, ever.
Yeah, absolutely, the human body was designed for steady effort over long periods.  The accepted figure is 100 watts; a person should be able to do that basically indefinitely, allowing for sleeping, eating, etc., e.g. 8-12 hours a day.  Granted, they might have to work up to that, but that is basically a walking pace.

The important thing is, you need to use electricity where and only where it really makes sense: information storage, retrieval, and transmission; lighting; and maybe light-duty portable tools.  You should almost never be converting heat or mechanical energy to electricity and back again, the losses are too horrendous.  Doing things like running a toaster off of a bike generator are simply insane.