AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 211604 times)

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #1170 on: February 07, 2019, 06:47:43 PM »
This is my long weekend....I was planning to finish the dock, no problem. But a norther has blown in and temps might drop to freezing tonight, or just above. 

High tomorrow of 5 degrees C.

15 mph wind.

It's going to stay like that for 3 days. Monday might be warm again.

I don't know if I want to work outside in the cold. Of course I can come inside and warm up out there, so I guess I could see how much I could get done. No shorts and water shoes though. Fortunately I have most of the wet area plumb and level. There is some work left that might involve wet feet. It's treacherous and slick and muddy on the big uneven granite boulders under my dock. I've come close to  falling in a couple of times already. Too cold to fall in right now. That part can wait until Monday.

I'm going to build what will be an underwater bench along the lakefront portion of the dock, the head of the T, so to speak. So someone can sit in the water with their drink sitting at shoulder height on the  dock next to them. And it'll make an extra step to climb up on. It's going to be part of the extra bracing I 'm planning.... the frame that will support the bench will also brace the concrete uprights.

Maybe I can get a little bit done. The dogs don't care how productive I am or how much I screw off. They're not judgmental.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 08, 2019, 05:12:31 AM »
The sun is coming up here, and the temp has been dropping for the last hour....now hovering just above freezing. Hopefully that's the bottom for the weekend, and we go up from here.

I need to add weatherstrip to the  prep list. Drafty big old house. My feet are cold.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 08, 2019, 12:18:00 PM »
It decided to sleet a little. That's it for me. Work called on account of weather. I'm torn about whether to drive in to town to get a sub from the sandwich shop, or actually feed myself.  That's how much I don't want to go outside.

But I'm marshaling my forces for a run for the roast beast. Fortunately the new truck has remote start. I'm going to warm it up now, and then I can make it to Thundercloud Subs.

I'm a real mountain man survivalist. LOL.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 08, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »
It decided to sleet a little. That's it for me. Work called on account of weather. I'm torn about whether to drive in to town to get a sub from the sandwich shop, or actually feed myself.  That's how much I don't want to go outside.

But I'm marshaling my forces for a run for the roast beast. Fortunately the new truck has remote start. I'm going to warm it up now, and then I can make it to Thundercloud Subs.

I'm a real mountain man survivalist. LOL.

At least you don't need a Cripple Helper to go out for a Sub.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 05, 2019, 04:27:54 AM »
Fifth of March, 2019....coldest morning of the whole season, 25.5 F on the thermometer in my kitchen window.

Yesterday morning was the first freeze here since October, if I'm not mistaken. At least it's dry. Hope I didn't break any pipes anywhere. I need to check the pump at the stead. Haven't been out there in a couple of months, but I left a light burning under cover I put on it. Hopefully it'll be okay.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 11, 2019, 06:06:35 AM »
Bit of an update:

I finished the work on my dock 2 weekends ago now, and last weekend I did drive out and look at my work after the lake came back up, but we had a little late freeze and the weather wasn't conducive for water sports. Overall, I rate the job I did a solid 8, although there are a few things I need to tweak. The new cradle on the boat lift doesn't want to sink. Too much new dry wood, and hopefully it'll stay dry for a while, since I did coat it with epoxy. I plan to add some weights. The new underwater bench is only submerged about 6 inches. I had hoped it would end up slightly deeper, but it will still work.

I rebuilt the old swim ladder, which I had pulled when I last redecked the dock a few years back. You can't buy a steel swim ladder anymore, and it just needed the wooden steps replaced. I put some of that white rubber molding, 63 feet total (small dock) around the whole thing and mounted some boat bumpers on the corners. Looks a lot better and it's way more functional. I want to get the Rhodes back in the water asap.

I've been dealing with my HOA at the canyon house. I have an easement for a 10K Volt main LCRA power line that runs across the edge of my property. I've deliberately let it go wild over the 25 plus years we've lived in the house, and they sent out their paid tool to take pics and send me a registered letter and hassle me.

I spent a couple of weeks mounting some resistance and got them to back off on most of it, but I had to run out to the stead yesterday and pick up the chainsaw to clear some bushes along the street frontage that somebody found annoying. Greasewood and retama (aka Thorn of Jerusalem).

I wasn't sure my chainsaw was working well enough to do the job, almost bought a new one just on spec..but I loaded it with fresh pre-mix and bar oil and it did okay. I was glad, because I didn't want to ruin a new bar and chain on such a rough job. Lots of rocks and sparks,,,but it's done, pretty much.

After unloading and using a whole pallet (42 bags) of ready-mix around the dock three weekends ago, and now two more days of hard yard work this weekend, I''m a physical wreck, and sleeping on a heating pad to help with the back pain and sciatica. 

Throw in coming to work an hour early due to the Spring Forward time change, and I'm less than thrilled to be working today. It would normally be the fourth day of my 4 day weekend, but I'm working to get at least 2 and half days in before we travel to the semi-frozen North.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 13, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »
At the airport,headed to the big apple.

First leg.....737 max 800

Second leg.....Airbus 380.

LOL.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 13, 2019, 01:56:07 PM »
Looks like we get a different plane now. All 737 max 800s grounded.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 06, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »
I used a convenient tree limb and some of my hoisting paraphernalia to get the Rhodes off the trailer and up on sawhorses, and I sanded the bottom yesterday afternoon.

I still have to move the sawhorses and get the specks I missed and I need to lower the centerboard and sand it...then new bottom paint.

The mission was moving along well, but it has turned off rainy today and so I have to take a pause. Hopefully the boat will drain well enough not to take on enough water to crush the sawhorses or break the tree limb. I drove home last night, and I need to drive back out and try to throw a tarp over the cockpit and bungie it.

Maybe tomorrow I can at least finish the sanding. The old bottom paint was black..... hard racing paint, not the soft ablative stuff, and I was in blackface by the time I finished. For some reason, the hot water heater in the cottage, which was back on line and working fine two weekends ago, threw the reset, so I had to take a cold shower....that rather sucked, and the bath tub was a damn mess. I did clean up after myself.

The dock and the boat lift repairs came out pretty good by my standards. I am dreaming about a 2nd free-standing "lake lift" to park the powerboats on.....hard to find a used used one down here in the South. I could find one cheap in the Midwest, but gas, my time, or freight costs would eat up the savings.....a new one would ship free.

Not about to spend the money right now, but I might if I get a windfall at some point. In my mind it's already there, and I'm now designing a permanent canopy.....

I have a relatively small fence-building project to do at the lake. The backyard fence doesn't make it all the way to the water (maybe built before the lake filled, way back?) and I need to extend it to keep my dogs at home. It looks like another project that might eat up a weekend or two. I will probably use my garden fence approach. Utility panels from Tractor Supply....posts set in short concrete pads instead of my usual quick build with T-posts.....too rocky out there for T-posts....the back yard is full of big boulders...but I have nice trees.....big ones now. Rare for a waterfront lot.

Headed back out there....rainy weekend means no weekenders from the city. it will be quiet and dark and rainy. Perfect for wasting a day or two in near perfect peace and quiet. Maybe I can reset the water heater again.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:29:04 AM by Eddie »

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 07, 2019, 09:32:34 AM »
I used a convenient tree limb and some of my hoisting paraphernalia to get the Rhodes off the trailer and up on sawhorses, and I sanded the bottom yesterday afternoon.

I still have to move the sawhorses and get the specks I missed and I need to lower the centerboard and sand it...then new bottom paint.

The mission was moving along well, but it has turned off rainy today and so I have to take a pause. Hopefully the boat will drain well enough not to take on enough water to crush the sawhorses or break the tree limb. I drove home last night, and I need to drive back out and try to throw a tarp over the cockpit and bungie it.

Maybe tomorrow I can at least finish the sanding. The old bottom paint was black..... hard racing paint, not the soft ablative stuff, and I was in blackface by the time I finished. For some reason, the hot water heater in the cottage, which was back on line and working fine two weekends ago, threw the reset, so I had to take a cold shower....that rather sucked, and the bath tub was a damn mess. I did clean up after myself.

The dock and the boat lift repairs came out pretty good by my standards. I am dreaming about a 2nd free-standing "lake lift" to park the powerboats on.....hard to find a used used one down here in the South. I could find one cheap in the Midwest, but gas, my time, or freight costs would eat up the savings.....a new one would ship free.

Not about to spend the money right now, but I might if I get a windfall at some point. In my mind it's already there, and I'm now designing a permanent canopy.....

I have a relatively small fence-building project to do at the lake. The backyard fence doesn't make it all the way to the water (maybe built before the lake filled, way back?) and I need to extend it to keep my dogs at home. It looks like another project that might eat up a weekend or two. I will probably use my garden fence approach. Utility panels from Tractor Supply....posts set in short concrete pads instead of my usual quick build with T-posts.....too rocky out there for T-posts....the back yard is full of big boulders...but I have nice trees.....big ones now. Rare for a waterfront lot.

Headed back out there....rainy weekend means no weekenders from the city. it will be quiet and dark and rainy. Perfect for wasting a day or two in near perfect peace and quiet. Maybe I can reset the water heater again.
if it's a cheaper water heater the element doubles as the anode and oxidizes away. When it starts blowing the breaker its wearing thin... literally. If it's a better unit and it has a sacrificial replaceable anode it's time to change it and the heating element... change just the element if the anode is worn out and you have to start over in  6 months... sounds like my kind of ideal weekend...
Cheers.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 07, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »

if it's a cheaper water heater the element doubles as the anode and oxidizes away. When it starts blowing the breaker its wearing thin... literally. If it's a better unit and it has a sacrificial replaceable anode it's time to change it and the heating element... change just the element if the anode is worn out and you have to start over in  6 months... sounds like my kind of ideal weekend...
Cheers.

I don't remember ever working on a water heater that had a sacrificial anode. That probably says something about the way I shop for water heaters, and the way the guy who built my house did too...and maybe something about Home Depot, the low cost leader...lol.

This one is not so old...I did install it and it's not an expensive unit. It reset this time. It has two elements but only one reset...the elements both read 13-14 ohms. Does the resistance change when they get thin?

It might have run for some time last winter....had a broken pipe event and had left the water to the house on, my yard man caught it and fixed the break, I have no idea how long it ran.

At the street, the meter is ancient and I had one event where turning the valve released a wad of gunk and mud into my pipes, and the hot water side had bad pressure until I recently opened the outside faucet and blew the system out with the air compressor. I expect the water heater got a  nice layer of mud in it. That might be worth investigating.

I thought I had fixed most of my plumbing issues out here...water pressure good again, the tub draining properly (another adventure) and hot water heater fixed. Maybe I can remove the lower element and vacuum it out with a shop vac.

Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. Rainy morning, I slept 12 hours. You can do that once your kids are grown.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 07, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. Rainy morning, I slept 12 hours. You can do that once your kids are grown.

If you don't have kids, you can do that for your entire life on the days you don't have to work.  One of the many advantages of being a Monast.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 07, 2019, 04:02:26 PM »

Cheers.

I don't remember ever working on a water heater that had a sacrificial anode. That probably says something about the way I shop for water heaters, and the way the guy who built my house did too...and maybe something about Home Depot, the low cost leader...lol.

This one is not so old...I did install it and it's not an expensive unit. It reset this time. It has two elements but only one reset...the elements both read 13-14 ohms. Does the resistance change when they get thin?

It might have run for some time last winter....had a broken pipe event and had left the water to the house on, my yard man caught it and fixed the break, I have no idea how long it ran.

At the street, the meter is ancient and I had one event where turning the valve released a wad of gunk and mud into my pipes, and the hot water side had bad pressure until I recently opened the outside faucet and blew the system out with the air compressor. I expect the water heater got a  nice layer of mud in it. That might be worth investigating.

I thought I had fixed most of my plumbing issues out here...water pressure good again, the tub draining properly (another adventure) and hot water heater fixed. Maybe I can remove the lower element and vacuum it out with a shop vac.

grandma has been down south for almost 3 months and gets back in 10 days... long weekend without kids is already planned. And yes the resistance changes as the element wears out if the tank drained and it continued 5o heat the problem would present identically. For the anode if it has one it's sometimes built into the cold water 8ntake pipe. Usually though it's a seperate bolt under it's own hole at the top of the tank look for an extra plastic hole cover inserted when they put the foam on. Pop it and you will see a bolt. Or not... you can easily get 40 years from a tank... or 15
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.