PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Meanwhile back at the 'stead

AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 220118 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #1185 on: February 07, 2020, 08:05:15 PM »
I'm a writer, not a photo journalist.      ;D

I sipped once and fell hard on my ass on the boat ramp. I'm probably going to hurt tomorrow. The exercise was great though.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 08, 2020, 03:19:03 AM »
I'm a writer, not a photo journalist.      ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jz2EpgkAz9U" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jz2EpgkAz9U</a>

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 15, 2020, 11:41:57 AM »
So....this time.last year when I was rebuilding my dock, I found myself wishing for a 2nd boat lift....a slightly bigger one I could use to keep the powerboats on....at least in the summer..

My sailboat lift, which I also repaired and refurbished last winter......is what they call a  "lake lift".....an old school manual cantilever job, with an aluminum box frame...Simple...with no power assist.

But when I bought it used,  years ago, the guy I bought it from floated it in and set it in place. I had to do most of the placement job over, but he did get it to the general location where it still sits. My lot has big boulders and trees in back . No way I could get the lift to the water from my yard.

A couple of months ago I ran across a larger version lake lift  that was exactly what I was looking for....for free, on Craigslist. I got it from the owner of an older marina in Austin who was clearing out a lot of accumulated stuff..Things worth saving but now a liability because of the storage...Super nice guy.

I went to the stead and got my flatbed trailer and loaded and hauled the damn thing to the lake house. It weighs maybe 300 pounds..and it's big. It was just wider than my trailer and so I tipped it up and let it ride on the side rails. I really didn't  have much trouble.

So now they lowered the lake again for January and February....and I've been intending to float it from the neighborhood boat ramp to my dock...... a distance that looked to be a couple of hundred yards.

So this afternoon the air temps were in the low 70's F...and I took it to the boat ramp and floated it around the shoreline, mostly walking.....in REALLY deep mud...and my float job sucked...I had this idea that I could do it so elegantly...but I had nobody to help me and I couldn't; get the floatation squarely under the cross bars the way I had envisioned it. I tied the floats on and set out..One end sagged lower and the legs kept getting caught in the mud..

After 30 minutes, people started appearing on their back lawns to inquire if I was okay..

.By then it was 6 pm and the sun was setting....and the water was starting to feel cold....but I was okay in my shorty wet suit...for a while.  Nobody gets in the water around here this time of year..People ride jetskis, but nobody swims.. It wasn't THAT cold...maybe high 60's F...but I ended up being in the water for an hour; maybe an hour and a half.

Eventually the mud flats ended and I dropped into a deep hole.....fortunately I had had the foresight to bring a paddle. I paddled the last 50-75 yards sitting up on one of the floats. I got to my place finally. I half-ass dragged the lift up near my dock and left it stuck in the mud. I don't think it'll float away before tomorrow.

By that time I was in mild hypothermia..but I got inside and warmed up...had to walk back through the neighborhood to go back and get my truck. By then it was dark.

I still have a lot of work to do to get it in place and adjusted......

On my second beer.

Where's the Pics & Vids?  ???

RE

After I wrote this, I spent an additional two afternoon sessions in the lake in my wetsuit in worsening weather......on Sunday and Monday last week...just trying to re-float the boat lift enough........to get it close enough to shore so I could slide it across the last few feet, which is rockier than the mudhole I left it stuck in on Friday night. I probably spent 5-6 hours in the water total....and by Monday afternoon the air temperature had fallen to about 50F.....and during the work week this week we had cool rainy weather with temps in the 30's at night and not higher than the high 40's in the daytime.

None of my efforts to get the lift floated again worked.....I tried to use my big ski tube, but it's big and bulky and I could never get it into place where I wanted it.....just hours of inflating and deflating and frustration and failure.

Today is Saturday, and I have arrived back at the lake house......after picking up four big tractor inner tubes........to try again.

Today the temp is back up to about 60F and there's not much wind. I'm about to don my gay apparel wetsuit and get back in the water. I brought my iPad and took some pics of the lift and the area, so  you can see what I'm trying to do.. I'll put them up later....hopefully by then I will have "after' pics....   ;D

The worst part of this, worse than the cold water...is that the mud is full of tiny fresh water muscle shells that get stuck in my Chacos and hurt the bottoms of my feet.. I meant to look for alternative footwear.....I have toe shoes and wet suit booties somewhere....but not here at the moment.  So more  ow-ies are expected. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:20:20 PM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead...New Boat Lift Project Pics, By RE-quest.
« Reply #1188 on: February 17, 2020, 09:51:27 AM »
IMG 0168
IMG 0168
IMG 0166
IMG 0166

The boat lift came from a boat ramp on that most distant point. You can't see it, but the shoreline goes into a cove to the right of the picture and crosses a canal entrance. Maybe a quarter mile of muddy walking...which I did two Fridays ago. Pic taken from the neighbors dock.

The second pic is the same view, from my dock.

IMG 0159
IMG 0159

IMG 0174
IMG 0174

Stuck in the mud....never could get it out the first weekend. Worked for hours to no avail. You can see my air  compressor where I'd been trying repeatedly to float the damn thing.

IMG 0175
IMG 0175
The sailboat on the old lift, which I repaired last year.

IMG 0179
IMG 0179
My back yard at the lake. No dock access with a truck or trailer, as you can see.

IMG 0181
IMG 0181
Finally after several more attempts and repositioning the tractor inner tubes using giant zip ties. It's re-floated and up to the shoreline. Most of the hard work is over now. It is now late Saturday afternoon this last weekend,

IMG 0193
IMG 0193
Winching it the rest of the way with come-alongs. Too heavy to lift.

IMG 0195
IMG 0195
Getting close to position.

IMG 0196
IMG 0196
I had to use a floor jack set on cinder blocks to raise the lift and get it level. No pics of that, but it took most of late Sunday morning to get it level and more or less set square with the dock.

IMG 0197
IMG 0197
Final position. I have one of the bunks taken off for repair/adjustment...ongoing.

The next step is to set some posts to build a shed over the lift. The lift will act as scaffolding, but will not support the shed. Next weekend is the last one before the lake comes back up. I hope it goes smooth. I only need to get the 8 posts set and braced...the roof can be added after the lake is back to normal

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:46:58 AM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead...New Boat Lift Project Pics, By RE-quest.
« Reply #1189 on: February 17, 2020, 10:24:13 AM »

DING DING DING!

BLOG ARTICLE!

This is the best Anniversary Celebration EVAH for the Diner!  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 18, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
Everything lookin' ship shape Edward.

I've been hard at it as well on the ol' girl....... My '59 Westy (escape the shit-storm ride) is "OFFICIALLY" in Bus Rehab...

A stellar  :icon_sunny: performance I might add  :icon_mrgreen:

This is where my boney Az carcass has been holed up. Sanding monkey, metal wiz extraordinaire etc. etc.

I have photos on my employers work iPhone

Question ? How do I get them to the Diner ?
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 18, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »

I've been hard at it as well on the ol' girl....... My '59 Westy (escape the shit-storm ride) is "OFFICIALLY" in Bus Rehab...

This is where my boney Az carcass has been holed up. Sanding monkey, metal wiz extraordinaire etc. etc.

First get them emailed to your email. Download them to your photos or some file folder you can find again. Desktop works.

Then click on the icon above the box (here on the forum)  you're posting your comment in....it's the lower row, 7th icon....the one to the left of G for Glow.

When the media window opens, then pick "choose file" and find the image files you saved and click on one of them (on the Mac I have to double click). When you see the file address there where you just clicked "choose file"..then hit "submit" (same page but lower and to your right)....... and the Diner will upload the pic direct to the window you're typing in. If it works right you will see it show up as "smg something something"  This is your pic.

Sometime it screws up and just saves the file to a media album.....but once it's saved there you can go get it anyway. with a cut-and paste.....the form to place in in a text window is the file that starts with "smg".
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:57:56 AM by Eddie »

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 18, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »
OK, cool Thanks !
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 18, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »

First get them emailed to your email. Download them to your photos or some file folder you can find again. Desktop works.

Then click on the icon above the box (here on the forum)  you're posting your comment in....it's the lower row, 7th icon....the one to the left of G for Glow.

When the media window opens, then pick "choose file" and find the image files you saved and click on one of them (on the Mac I have to double click). When you see the file address there where you just clicked "choose file"..then hit "submit" (same page but lower and to your right)....... and the Diner will upload the pic direct to the window you're typing in. If it works right you will see it show up as "smg something something"  This is your pic.

Sometime it screws up and just saves the file to a media album.....but once it's saved there you can go get it anyway. with a cut-and paste.....the form to place in in a text window is the file that starts with "smg".

Thank you. I'll give it a whirl & see what happens. I think I'll start a thread on my newz channel for doom mobiles ala ol' skool  :icon_mrgreen:
Maybe C5 can chime in from time to time with skool bus tips & tricks as well. Next couple of days the weathers suppose to go back to colder winter temps
so I'll be inside anyway.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: More Progress On The Boathouse
« Reply #1194 on: March 04, 2020, 09:12:55 AM »
I should be getting my epoxy by Friday..so my plans to glue up a couple of custom beams to brace up the new boathouse are on track. I'll post some pics of what I've done since my last pics, just to show how it's going.

IMG 0199
IMG 0199

This is where I was when I stopped three weekends ago. The following steps were accomplished weekend before last, on the last weekend before the lake was raised to normal...about 4 feet deeper than you see here.

IMG 0214
IMG 0214

My goal was to get some upright posts set in concrete before the lake came back up.Like most weekend jobs, I started slow, just arriving with my trailer loaded with lumber and bags of ready-mix on Friday night. It was a solo weekend, just me and the dogs.  Saturday I got a late start...and in this photo you can see where I was very late on Saturday. I used the lift, which had been leveled and set square, as my scaffold. The uprights are just scabbed in place, None of the bracing is intended to be permanent. I got all the posts set and placed some sonotube forms around the bases. The ones to be poured underwater were left suspended so they wouldn't melt before I was ready.

IMG 0218
IMG 0218

A major improvement over last year was this.

New flat-free hard rubber tires on my wheelbarrow, and 60 pound bags instead of 80 pound bags.  Last year I had a hard time moving the bags and really overworked my back. I didn't get off scot free on back pain, but the wheelbarrow was a much better way to move this heavy shit than my 4 wheel "green wagon" from Harbor Freight. I actually blew out tires.

The wheelbarrow was a major improvement, Smaller loads and more of them...but far easier. And it might not sound like a lot of difference,,,,,but 60 pound bags are so much easier to handle....I won't buy 80 pound bags ever again. Whatever the cost savings....just not worth it.

IMG 0221 2
IMG 0221 2

Here are the first pours. I will go back a little later and put 8 inch sonotube forms in place, and pour concrete all the way up to deck level. Most of the boat houses around here are just sun shades, and the pros build them out of steel pipe or square steel tubing. My method is perhaps not quite as elegant, but MUCH cheaper....like by a power of ten....because I can DIY it.

IMG 0223 2
IMG 0223 2

I take a pause to paint the centerboard of my sailboat with bottom paint before the lake comes up. No telling when I'll ever get another chance. I couldn't get to it on the trailer when I painted the bottom last spring.

IMG 0229
IMG 0229

Here you can see the first pours on the deeper posts. The one on the far side corner has 12 inch sonotube that is 36 inches long, and the whole pour was made underwater.  That spot was very muddy and difficult......not to mention cold. I went back later and laid a couple of full bags of concrete against the base on the deep side....I might add more, although the bottom is about 7-8 feet deep now that the lake is back up.

This photo was taken the next day and and you can see that the 2X6's I cantilevered to give me some bracing have sagged as the concrete set and the posts settled. I actually leveled them again...and they sagged a bit more when the lake came up.

You can see the 4X4 beam I bolted across the entrance, down low so the the boat props won't hit it when the lake comes up. I went back and poured a third footing on a short post I bolted to the middle of that one. There are two additional underwater cross braces that run under the lift itself and will add a lot of strength to the actual lift.....the deeper legs of the lift are its weakest structural members. I'm not sure how long these pressure treated posts will last...but they should be good for most of my lifetime, I'm pretty sure.

IMG 0245
IMG 0245

Here you can see the second pour on some of the shallower posts. The ready-mix was poured dry and the lake will set it when it comes up.

IMG 0246
IMG 0246

It was easier to make a split in the tubes for the deeper legs and tape them up. It worked okay, but I wasted some concrete because I didn't perfectly tape up all the parts that had to be cut out. More tape next time.

IMG 0233 3
IMG 0233 3

Here are the uprights seen from deck level from the old dock. The posts are all 16 feet long, but the shortest one (deepest underwater, far right)  still gave me an eight foot ceiling joist height to build my roof on, which was what I was hoping for. I got them nice and plumb, but they settled a bit....and three of the posts weren't as straight as I would have liked. I have a straightedge clamped to those now until the ceiling joists are up and braced.

The longer posts will be cut off, too, after the ceiling joists are in place and level.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:53:43 AM by Eddie »

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: March 04, 2020, 09:31:59 AM »
Nice!
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 04, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
Nice!

I hope my old man is watching from somewhere. I learned how to do stuff like this from him. I often think of him when I'm working alone, as is my usual custom. You are never completely gone as long as someone who is still alive is thinking about you, you know....... I carry a part of him with me, always.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1197 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:59 PM »
Nice!

I hope my old man is watching from somewhere. I learned how to do stuff like this from him. I often think of him when I'm working alone, as is my usual custom. You are never completely gone as long as someone who is still alive is thinking about you, you know....... I carry a part of him with me, always.

Completely agree with that sentiment. Same about my father as well.

Hell of a lot of work there, Eddie. Nice job.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead --- WEST System Epoxy
« Reply #1198 on: March 04, 2020, 01:03:05 PM »
My experience using WEST System type epoxy resins goes back nearly 30 years now, to a time when I was more interested in restoring and building wooden boats.

WEST is an acronym......and it stands for Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique.....it was developed in the late 60's and early 70's by a couple of innovative ice-racing brothers named Meade and Jan Gougeon. They lived near Dow Chemical in northern Michigan, and Herbert Dow was an avid sailor and a friend of theirs. With his help, they invented some epoxy resins and some techniques that revolutionized boat building.......and also  the restoration of wooden powerboats, which is something I once fooled around with a little bit.

They perfected not only the structural epoxy cement, but the vacuum bagging techniques that are widely used now for a variety of purposes, including boat building. WEST System products are expensive, and today a number of competitors offer good resins and hardeners for less money....and if you don't need the most expensive, you can get by cheaper using something like System 3, which is a good copy. I ordered some and Jeff Bezos says it's on the way.

It will take twelve 8 ft  2X4's to build a nominal 4X6 beam 24 feet long...and hopefully I will have enough resin to build two of those and have a bit left over....which I will use to build a ten foot laminated 4x8 (by gluing up 5 ten foot 2X4''s) which will act as a cross brace above the boat house entrance. I think that will be the easiest way to stiffen up a structure that would otherwise be a little on the minimalist side in terms of strength to support a metal roof that will end up being about 15 feet wide and 22 feet long.

It's difficult to find the kind of lumber that used to be available in days gone by. Especially dimensional lumber in long lengths. The longest pressure treated 2X6's I could get locally for the boathouse project were 16 footers...which weren't really ideal for my project.  The way it worked out, I needed at least two 20 ft pieces to give my boat shed the proper stiffness to prevent my new roof from sagging in a worst case scenario,

Fortunately, I can easily use regular 2X4 studs (about $3.50 apiece these days) to make some glue-lam beams that will meet my needs.....and epoxy is not the only glue you can use..but I like it for strength...and because wood properly impregnated with epoxy is impervious to water.  These beams will be above water level, but subject to getting wet from waves and boat wakes,

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:21:44 PM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 04, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »
Nice!

Completely agree with that sentiment. Same about my father as well.

Hell of a lot of work there, Eddie. Nice job.

Thank you. Got to find your fun where you can in this collapsing world.