PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Meanwhile back at the 'stead

AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 243951 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #1305 on: April 12, 2020, 06:31:03 AM »
I heard heavy rain about daylight.......it just looks threatening now.. Just got up...lemme check the local  news. Nope, looks like we got lucky.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 06:36:31 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #1306 on: April 12, 2020, 06:36:06 AM »
What I saw looked like it was at you now.  Reports of softball sized hail and likely tornadoes.  It's supposed to be here tonight and early tomorrow. 

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 12, 2020, 06:36:41 AM »
More impressive if you see where I was on February 17th.

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,1702.msg183645.html#msg183645

Okay yes that is pretty wild. Good on you Eddie for doing that with no lost fingers and no broken toilets.  :icon_sunny:
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 12, 2020, 07:06:28 AM »
What I saw looked like it was at you now.  Reports of softball sized hail and likely tornadoes.  It's supposed to be here tonight and early tomorrow.

Whatever weather we might've gotten missed us.....now the sun is out and it looks to be a beautiful Easter Sunday.

I sure am glad the kids are grown. I had to get up early and hide eggs at daylight on Easter for more than twenty years. I remember getting help with that only once...when my back was out and I complained bitterly.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #1309 on: April 12, 2020, 08:08:26 AM »

Whatever weather we might've gotten missed us.....now the sun is out and it looks to be a beautiful Easter Sunday.

I sure am glad the kids are grown. I had to get up early and hide eggs at daylight on Easter for more than twenty years. I remember getting help with that only once...when my back was out and I complained bitterly.

We don't play those games with the kids.  We aren't Christian so doesn't make any sense to us to celebrate Christian dates.  We do celebrate the solstice and equinoxes though.  We just have a big fire, camp, and let the kids eat candy and drink sodas.  That and birthdays are the only holidays we celebrate.  As the kids get older it's getting harder to explain.  We are in the south, so most of the people they run into at school and everywhere else are talking about Jesus.  When we go to my mom's she always wants to say grace.  It's been tricky explaining why grandma is Christian and we are not. 

My mom knows we are not as well.  I think we just tacitly agreed to leave it alone.  I hold hands and bow my head to respect her beliefs.  It does get irritating that it doesn't  go the other way.  We let Grandma and Grandpa take the kids to church one Sunday a while back.  They thought it was weird and had no interest in going again.  I tell them that religion and spirituality is a personal choice.  As far as God, cause that comes up as well, I just tell them that he's an unnecessary middle man that people believe in because they are afraid to die.  I tell them that consciousness has always existed in some capacity.  It never had a beginning and has no end.  That's what I believe anyways.  GM just believes in love and has no interest in the subject beyond that.  Imparting philosophy on the boys is my department. 

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 12, 2020, 08:35:24 AM »

We don't play those games with the kids.  We aren't Christian so doesn't make any sense to us to celebrate Christian dates.  We do celebrate the solstice and equinoxes though.  We just have a big fire, camp, and let the kids eat candy and drink sodas.  That and birthdays are the only holidays we celebrate.  As the kids get older it's getting harder to explain.  We are in the south, so most of the people they run into at school and everywhere else are talking about Jesus.  When we go to my mom's she always wants to say grace.  It's been tricky explaining why grandma is Christian and we are not. 

My mom knows we are not as well.  I think we just tacitly agreed to leave it alone.  I hold hands and bow my head to respect her beliefs.  It does get irritating that it doesn't  go the other way.  We let Grandma and Grandpa take the kids to church one Sunday a while back.  They thought it was weird and had no interest in going again.  I tell them that religion and spirituality is a personal choice.  As far as God, cause that comes up as well, I just tell them that he's an unnecessary middle man that people believe in because they are afraid to die.  I tell them that consciousness has always existed in some capacity.  It never had a beginning and has no end.  That's what I believe anyways.  GM just believes in love and has no interest in the subject beyond that.  Imparting philosophy on the boys is my department.

Easter is, of course, as you already know, a very ancient Saxon holiday that predates Christianity by thousands of years. Eastra was the Saxon Goddess of Spring.

So..as a Saxon-In-Exlie, I claim Easter.....

I have so many good memories of country Easters in East Texas, always held at Uncle Chester and Aunt Mildred's (not blood relatives) house in Mud Creek bottom.  Easter was the first warm weather camping and fishing trip of the year, the first fish-fry and family potluck....and a chance to see my best friend and hang out in the woods.

I remember always being butt-sore we had to go to church.....the one Sunday each year we went to that particular church (Aunt Mildred was Baptist)......we boys wanted to skip church....I went to a few funerals there too, in time. It was a real old school country church in the woods among these huge oaks....in one of those little communities where the church was the only thing left of an older local agricultural community  that once had been, but really was already past.

But during church was when the grown men in the "family" hid the Easter eggs. I expect they might have enjoyed some coffee and a little hair of the dog. (They never went to Easter service, as. I recall)  The Egg hunt was fairly epic. A real fun time. It was a different time and such a different world than now.

My missus took the kids to a local religion-lite megachurch for a while when they were in their pre-teen and early teen years.....none of them got religion, but I guess the exposure was worthwhile. My take on consciousness is about the same as yours....and I think my kids ended up there too.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:48:26 AM by Eddie »

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #1311 on: April 12, 2020, 08:58:40 AM »

Easter is, of course, as you already know, a very ancient Saxon holiday that predates Christianity by thousands of years. Eastra was the Saxon Goddess of Spring.

So..as a Saxon-In-Exlie, I claim Easter.....

I have so many good memories of country Easters in East Texas, always held at Uncle Chester and Aunt Mildred's (not blood relatives) house in Mud Creek bottom.  Easter was the first warm weather camping and fishing trip of the year, the first fish-fry and family potluck....and a chance to see my best friend and hang out in the woods.

I remember always being butt-sore we had to go to church.....the one Sunday each year we went to that particular church (Aunt Mildred was Baptist)......we boys wanted to skip church....I went to a few funerals there too, in time. It was a real old school country church in the woods among these huge oaks....in one of those little communities where the church was the only thing left of an older local agricultural community  that once had been, but really was already past.

But during church was when the grown men in the "family" hid the Easter eggs. I expect they might have enjoyed some coffee and a little hair of the dog. (They never went to Easter service, as. I recall)  The Egg hunt was fairly epic. A real fun time. It was a different time and such a different world than now.

My missus took the kids to a local religion-lite megachurch for a while when they were in their pre-teen and early teen years.....none of them got religion, but I guess the exposure was worthwhile. My take on consciousness is about the same as yours....and I think my kids ended up there too.

Sounds like some good memories for you Eddie.  I remember looking for eggs and being confused about what an egg laying bunny had to do with Jesus.  I enjoyed the candy as a kid and that was about it.  I never understood Easter outside of the Christian context. 

GM and I both felt a little guilt about not giving that "magic" of these stupid holidays to our kids.  We did the Santa thing until the oldest was 7.  The youngest got the news this past Christmas, so he was six.  GM still does the tooth fairy nonsense with them, but they both know it's just her putting money under their pillow.  They just see it as a way to get some money for free. 

My style of parenting is to tell the truth about things.  I figure it will help their brains to develop if they are dealing with reality and not fantasy.  We encourage imagination via art.  Our boys are both very happy and healthy, and it doesn't appear they are diminished at all by not being fed fantasy. 

It's their lives to live.  I'm here to tell them what I know about reality. 

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 14, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »
I have too many projects.

One I haven't even mentioned that took WAY too. much time has been dealing with a breakdown in my swimming pool filtration and pumping system, I have probably spent upwards of 30 hours of hard work this last month or so dealing with a pump priming issue that finally resulted in me rebuilding the  pump with new seals and ripping out a big piece of  2 inch line and and two valves..... and just replacing the whole jacked-up mess.

I just replaced all the sand in the filter a few months back, last fall before it got cold.

Here, the live oaks lose their leaves, not In the fall, but in the spring. That, and a crop of juniper  needles and hackberry leaves ended up getting my strainer plugged when I tried to vacuum...never could get it right until I finally decided there were air leaks on the suction side (very difficult to diagnose) and so I brought out my battery sawzall  and cut much of it to pieces.

The pool had turned green by then.

I finally got it working Sunday, and today the pool service guy came by and vacuumed again...and it looks great....but I'm going to have to fire them because I can't pay them....and I have plenty of time to vacuum my own pool.

Tomorrow I get back on the boathouse roof.. I stopped working on that last week to work on the lake house backyard fence...I will work on that a little too, tomorrow...at least set the posts in concrete where the rock is too solid to drive a T-post....I have about three of those to do..and then it won't be hard to finish. My daughter and I both worked on the fence for one day (Thursday? I think so. The days are sort of running together,)

But it's the roof I want to get done. It has turned unseasonably cool again (50's and 60's F) and that's great for roofing. It is going to get really hot here soon, and I'd like to be done by then with the overhead tin roof. No fun to do that in full Texas sun, and damn near impossible by late May.

I haven't gotten the epoxy I ordered for the other part of the boathouse job....but that is less of a priority....the walking deck will be the last thing.

I got all the stuff to finish the roof. It's stacked in the carport at the cottage It seems like it should take maybe one more day, but I'm guessing it'll take three....I always underestimate the amount of time these things take...and I work in spurts....get really motivated and do a lot...and then one day I just don't seem to get as much done...or I find some other emergency or something that pulls me away.

The hydro beds are languishing. I am supposed to go to the aquaponics store tomorrow too, but I think I'm going to bail on that....maybe Friday instead. I am running out of money and I want to get those beds done. At some point I will have to let it all go. I worked today and made next to nothing...maybe Thursday will be better. I have some better cases, I think.

I have some work to do on the boats that won't cost money....I will get on to that when the cash is all gone.

Real estate here is supposed to be still hot in spite of Nuevo Corona, believe it or not. I am sorely tempted to put the stead up for sale. Don't want to , but it would really make life easier if I sold it...but not sure by any means that it would sell, or for a decent price. I can hang in for a while and I probably will. It sure would be nice to get back to normal, but that doesn't look too likely.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:01:26 PM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 16, 2020, 06:01:43 AM »
I ended up working on the fence yesterday. I made a trip to Home Depot (local) and Tractor Supply (Marble Falls). In both places there were a fair number of people in masks More than half....in Austin masks are mandatory, but neither of my stops was in the city.

I am not completely finished with the fence, but it is "sewed up" now enough to keep the dogs in while I do the roofing...funny thing though...it looks like the big influx of people to their vacation homes is now over..the lake community looked pretty dead again....

Since I had to hit Tractor Supply with the trailer in tow to buy a couple of fence panels, I went ahead and bought a tank for the aquaponics set-up. Now I just need to run some plumbing and get some grow media for the beds.....if I can't find what I want, I will use soil...but I hope to be able to get enough hydroton (clay pebbles) to use that. It seems to be the preferred media. I have a pump, bought long ago now, but still new. I should have the plumbing done on that in a couple of days or so, if I can take a bit  of time away from the boathouse.I'm anxious to get the water flowing in those beds. I should get my liner material in a few days. I don't have to use the liner, but it will allow me to deepen the beds....I think the ones I built are on the shallow side. Not a huge job to deepen them if I do it now before I start using them. Later it won't be worth the trouble.

This is the tank I'm using. Seems like they are popular for redneck hot tubbing.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 16, 2020, 06:16:04 AM »
IMG 9509 4
IMG 9509 4
Here are the beds I built. You can see the bed filters the guy who taught my class builds. I think he puts in the bed filtration to allow him to use soil. Not sure these are necessary if you use hydroton, but I don't think it will hurt to use them . They are supposed (as it was explained to me) to be a lattice for the beneficial bacteria to live on.

More garden pics. We've had good success with tomatoes in this bed too, which is a keyhole garden made with a cardboard wicking layer...now well seasoned after maybe four or five years of adding compost. You can see that we have to put up netting to keep the birds out....the tomato vines will cover the netting before the season is over.

IMG 3235 2
IMG 3235 2

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 16, 2020, 06:30:03 AM »
IMG 1360
IMG 1360

Hard to see unless you click to enlarge, but this is Adventurer Daughter's new butterfly garden. Still under construction, but she is thrilled that the Monarch caterpillars found it, already. They have now disappeared, hopefully having built cocoons in the bushes nearby.

IMG 0669 2
IMG 0669 2

Look at that artichoke going crazy. Must be spring. Fairly useless for food, but they make a beautiful plant, I should plant them in the yard instead of the garden. Click on it and it will turn upright. This happens for no reason sometimes when pics get uploaded.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:31:39 AM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 16, 2020, 04:45:27 PM »
The hydro bed liners came today. Maybe ag stuff gets priority with Amazon. That was really fast.

I also got the epoxy I ordered for the  boathouse.

I need to concentrate on roofing this weekend, and maybe then I can then get back to the more important task of growing something to eat. I REALLY want to use this mild weather window to get that done. I keep saying that. Must. Get. Roof. Done.

One thing at a time.

The best thing about my religious cult is that we (meaning I) believe that if we don't get everything perfect in this incarnation that we get another shot at it, at worst. And with as much shitty karma as I've brought down on myself in this life, it might take several for me. Unless forgiveness is forthcoming, of course. I tend to expect to have to pay for my bad karma, though. We  (meaning I) also believe our actions have consequences.

But I think I have a good chance of getting the tin on the boathouse roof at least......even if I don't achieve full self-realization. If I can get through the next two or three days without catching the virus. I just need to focus.....    :)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 17, 2020, 03:36:54 PM »
I'm feeling extremely cranky.

I drove all the way to the lake, and got exactly 3 pieces of plywood up on the roof before the gusty wind nearly blew me off the dock along with a whole sheet of 11/32 inch sheathing. It was also drizzling rain, and more rain is in the forecast. The stuff I did get screwed down will probably warp.

Thinking then that I would repair to the cottage and drink a beer and surf the net until it got better, I discovered that the missus had appropriated my 4G modem from my backpack and  I had no internet connection.

I could have worked on the fence, but with the temps back down below 50 degrees F and the wind coming up and rain threatening, I just loaded up and drove home.

Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:45:13 PM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 22, 2020, 04:51:23 PM »
Not done done.....but the roof is all tacked in place  and ready for the rest of the screws. I'll have to say I enjoyed the framing more than the roofing.

IMG 0381 2
IMG 0381 2

IMG 0379 3
IMG 0379 3

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead -----More pics
« Reply #1319 on: May 04, 2020, 07:46:03 AM »
Here's what I'm working on now.

IMG 9715
IMG 9715

I'm gluing up 4x4's to make the previous glue-lam beam bigger....turning it into an L shape in cross section.  After that, I'm running a 2x6 along the inner side of the uprights.

IMG 9725
IMG 9725

This is the other side, further along. After adding some bracing blocks in that "slot". I will glue on a cap of horizontal wood.
A 2x10 and a 2x12, laid side by side. Glued and screwed, it will be very solid...if a bit heavy. But my posts seem to be well set and able to support it.

I can then lay a final layer of regular screwed on deck that will be 2 feet wide or so. I won't get that far this week, probably. Once I get the 2 by's on top, I'm taking a break....this job is really dragging on.

IMG 6509 3
IMG 6509 3

Here is a detail from the roof. I had to add an outer edge of bracing under the plywood deck at the lower edge.....not really a soft exactly...but the plywood wasn't thick enough and it needed the brace to make it look right.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:00:41 AM by Eddie »