AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 199837 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #855 on: April 02, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »
Castrating is kind of an old school belief system. It does cut down on fighting. You can't pasture a bunch of un-neutered older males together.

Watching the fights could be fun entertainment on a boring post SHTF night.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 02, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »
Castrating is kind of an old school belief system. It does cut down on fighting. You can't pasture a bunch of un-neutered older males together.

Watching the fights could be fun entertainment on a boring post SHTF night.

RE
Don't bruise the bacon!!!
I've had boar before.  Gamey but very enjoyable. Would non castrated males  taste similar?
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 02, 2017, 06:14:38 PM »
I think so, yes. We'll see, no doubt. You can always make sausage. Cayenne pepper makes anything taste good, if you use enough.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 16, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »
Celebrating Easter with Eggs Benedict made with the first tomatoes from the garden.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 16, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
Celebrating Easter with Eggs Benedict made with the first tomatoes from the garden.

No Mangalitsa Bacon yet?

Did you get any of the new piggies sold?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 16, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
I have two supposedly spoken for, and I had a couple drop by to look on Friday, who have other friends interested, talked like they might want several between them and their friends. If I don't get them sold by the time they're weaned I'll post the ad on CL all over the state, which I haven't done, as of yet.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 16, 2017, 05:43:44 PM »

Mmmmm. Looks yummy!  I love Eggs Benedict, but have somehow never made it at home.  Hmm.  I think it's because I've never attempted hollandaise sauce.  I'm not sure why hollandaise sauce vaguely intimidates me. Hmm.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 16, 2017, 06:22:10 PM »

Mmmmm. Looks yummy!  I love Eggs Benedict, but have somehow never made it at home.  Hmm.  I think it's because I've never attempted hollandaise sauce.  I'm not sure why hollandaise sauce vaguely intimidates me. Hmm.

Knorr Hollandaise Sause mix is a good facsimile and EZ to prepare.  Making Hollandaise from scratch you gotta be real careful not to get the egg yolks congealing on you, the temperature has to be very even across the pan surface and JUST RIGHT, not too hot and not too cold, and you have to stir constantly.  Best to use a double boiler for this.  It's generally way more trouble than it's worth.

I used to make Eggs Benedict about one  Sunday a month for me and the ex-wife.  Thomas' English Muffins, Canadian Bacon and Knorr Hollandaise, it did not take much longer than a normal scrambled eggs, bacon & homefries breakfast.

Other Sunday Breakfasts and Brunches were NY Style Bagels and Nova Lox, Baguettes and Soft Cheese, the RE Everything Omelete, and Buckwheat & Blueberry Pancakes.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 16, 2017, 06:25:41 PM »
My daughter made it from scratch using raw egg yolks and melted butter in a blender. Lemon and salt are the only other ingredients. You just have to mix it correctly.....very slowly add the butter in last....drizzle some in, hit the blender, repeat. I've always used the stuff in a box, didn't realize how basic it is to make from scratch.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 16, 2017, 06:34:33 PM »
My daughter made it from scratch using raw egg yolks and melted butter in a blender. Lemon and salt are the only other ingredients. You just have to mix it correctly.....very slowly add the butter in last....drizzle some in, hit the blender, repeat. I've always used the stuff in a box, didn't realize how basic it is to make from scratch.

Never tried doing it that way.  I suppose the melted butter is warm enough to begin to denature the proteins and the blending process does the rest.  If I still was making such breakfasts for myself, I would try this method.

Nowadays, I just have a Boiled Egg and maybe some leftover Pizza if I am hungry enough for breakfast, which is not too often.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 24, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »
I went to a wedding on Friday, the nephew of a good friend, someone who went to school with my kids. After that, the missus and I had dinner and drove out to the lake cottage, arriving late.

Over the winter the fridge there went out catastrophically, and we also had a frozen pipe that broke when the temps dropped to 20 F one night. I had wrapped the pipes previously, but the last couple of years I neglected to do the required late fall "touch up", and an uncovered spot in the carport cracked.

I emptied and cleaned the dead fridge a couple of months ago, but it took until last weekend to round up some help and haul off the old one and buy a new one. The guy who does my yard fixed the broken pipe, but having the water off resulted in rust and sludge in the hot water side. By the time the weekend was over, it was back to normal, or as normal as a 60 year old house with galvanized pipes gets.

The weather turned off very cool and windy, but I managed to put both power boats in the water and burn a little gas riding around. It was too rough to go fast. The weekend spent out there was quiet and peaceful, and mostly internet free, although the wife brought her iPad. We have deliberately avoided ever buying a TV set for the lake cottage. I didn't get to the sailboat. Both the sailboat and the lift need some maintenance. Maybe next weekend.

It feels good to have the place back up to the usual standards, which aren't all that high, but it's fairly comfortable, and not many neighbors were around, being the weekend after Easter. It was the first trip to the lake for my new puppy, who is fast getting past puppyhood, and on to being a full grown dog. But, just like the heeler we lost, he is like an otter in he water, and he adapted well to boat riding, and behaves better onboard than the Fox Terrier, who wants to lean over the bow and try to bite the wake.

In two weeks I'm going back to Chicago to attend my son's graduation from art school. He has a show he's working around the clock to finish. He is planning to stay in Chicago when he gets out. Not sure how I feel about that.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
In two weeks I'm going back to Chicago to attend my son's graduation from art school. He has a show he's working around the clock to finish. He is planning to stay in Chicago when he gets out. Not sure how I feel about that.

Hard to believe he is already graduating.  I feel like he just enrolled.  Time flies by on the Diner.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #867 on: April 25, 2017, 01:57:44 AM »

Hard to believe he is already graduating.  I feel like he just enrolled.  Time flies by on the Diner.

RE

I recall this image from a book I used to read with my daughter, which was several decades ago:

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 25, 2017, 02:27:32 AM »
I recall this image from a book I used to read with my daughter, which was several decades ago:

When I was a kid, a year was FOREVER.  When would summer come and I would be out of school and camping again?  It was so far away.

When summer actually arrived and I did go "camping" (in one sense or the other), those 6-8 week adventures seemed like a lifetime.

As I grew older, the years and the seasons began to run together, and I began to measure my experience in life in decades rather than years.  Certainly not days or seasons anymore, they all run together for me now.

It's all just Dust in the Wind. When you are a kid, it's all so fresh and exciting and every moment is so powerful the next moment seems forever away.  When you are old and crippled, every moment is just a reminder that you are on your way to the Great Beyond, and it's coming faster every day.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tH2w6Oxx0kQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tH2w6Oxx0kQ</a>

RE

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:30:26 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 25, 2017, 05:12:10 AM »
I went to a wedding on Friday, the nephew of a good friend, someone who went to school with my kids. After that, the missus and I had dinner and drove out to the lake cottage, arriving late.

Over the winter the fridge there went out catastrophically, and we also had a frozen pipe that broke when the temps dropped to 20 F one night. I had wrapped the pipes previously, but the last couple of years I neglected to do the required late fall "touch up", and an uncovered spot in the carport cracked.

I emptied and cleaned the dead fridge a couple of months ago, but it took until last weekend to round up some help and haul off the old one and buy a new one. The guy who does my yard fixed the broken pipe, but having the water off resulted in rust and sludge in the hot water side. By the time the weekend was over, it was back to normal, or as normal as a 60 year old house with galvanized pipes gets.

The weather turned off very cool and windy, but I managed to put both power boats in the water and burn a little gas riding around. It was too rough to go fast. The weekend spent out there was quiet and peaceful, and mostly internet free, although the wife brought her iPad. We have deliberately avoided ever buying a TV set for the lake cottage. I didn't get to the sailboat. Both the sailboat and the lift need some maintenance. Maybe next weekend.

It feels good to have the place back up to the usual standards, which aren't all that high, but it's fairly comfortable, and not many neighbors were around, being the weekend after Easter. It was the first trip to the lake for my new puppy, who is fast getting past puppyhood, and on to being a full grown dog. But, just like the heeler we lost, he is like an otter in he water, and he adapted well to boat riding, and behaves better onboard than the Fox Terrier, who wants to lean over the bow and try to bite the wake.

You must be an artist in your dentistry work. You produced two fine artists in a cut throat world. We just happened to watch a movie about a writer last night. I am an "artist" too, just not so refined. :) Art keeps our imagination alive. The imagination is crucial to living a satisfied life. You guys GOT IT! :)

Glad you repaired your cabin. 30 years old and things start melting.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:14:46 AM by knarf »
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com