AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 194272 times)

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #915 on: March 08, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
This whole thread is about the toothstead, for the most part. I haven't been writing much about it lately.

I'm not sure congratulations are in order. It's turning into a Trouble with Tribbles episode.I'm up to 26 pigs as of today. But they are very cute babies.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 08, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »
is there a rundown on the toothstead somewhere? Congrats on the piglets

Search "Convocation" on the Blog.  We all wrote stuff about the First Convocation.  Here's one from Eddie:

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2014/03/25/the1st-diner-convocation-iii/

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 08, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »
Wow, that's a blast from the past.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 08, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
Wow, that's a blast from the past.

Gotta love search functions on a database.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 08, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »
This whole thread is about the toothstead, for the most part. I haven't been writing much about it lately.

I'm not sure congratulations are in order. It's turning into a Trouble with Tribbles episode.I'm up to 26 pigs as of today. But they are very cute babies.
Time for a Mishoui!  French canadians stole the word from North Africans but its very popular in Quebec. Its a spit roasted suckling pig usually brined in a sweet/salty mix and spit roasted.
RE thanks for the link. search functions are great but you guys do like to ramble on and off topics a lot.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 08, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »
RE thanks for the link. search functions are great but you guys do like to ramble on and off topics a lot.

It's like Mining for Gold.  You gotta search down for the Nuggets.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #921 on: March 09, 2018, 02:10:21 AM »

It's like Mining for Gold.  You gotta search down for the Nuggets.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Or looking for a pony. Reagan used to tell a joke.

There were twin boys of five or six. Worried that the boys had developed extreme personalities one was a total pessimist, the other a total optimist their parents took them to a psychiatrist.

First the psychiatrist treated the pessimist. Trying to brighten his outlook, the psychiatrist took him to a room piled to the ceiling with brand-new toys. But instead of yelping with delight, the little boy burst into tears. 'What's the matter?' the psychiatrist asked, baffled. 'Don't you want to play with any of the toys?' 'Yes,' the little boy bawled, 'but if I did I'd only break them.'

Next the psychiatrist treated the optimist. Trying to dampen his out look, the psychiatrist took him to a room piled to the ceiling with horse manure. But instead of wrinkling his nose in disgust, the optimist emitted just the yelp of delight the psychiatrist had been hoping to hear from his brother, the pessimist. Then he clambered to the top of the pile, dropped to his knees, and began gleefully digging out scoop after scoop with his bare hands. 'What do you think you're doing?' the psychiatrist asked, just as baffled by the optimist as he had been by the pessimist. 'With all this manure,' the little boy replied, beaming, 'there must be a pony in here somewhere!'
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 09, 2018, 05:28:17 PM »

Time for a Mishoui!  French canadians stole the word from North Africans but its very popular in Quebec. Its a spit roasted suckling pig usually brined in a sweet/salty mix and spit roasted.

I think I will take the males from this litter for food when they're weaned. A pig roast sounds good. All here are invited.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 11, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
Sunday.

I didn't nail down the water tank with T-posts, and so the pigs had managed tot break the water connection at the tank, since Thursday, by pushing the tank, which weighs a few hundred pounds when full, around the pen a bit. Quick work. So it was actually fortuitous that the pressure switch stuck again and the well didn't pump continuously. But now I have to go back tomorrow and reconnect the water, make it more bullet proof, and install a pressure switch, if I can find one locally.

Another litter. I have 14 baby piglets. I lost a couple. I've come to expect that.

I'm feeding more often and the herd is eating more. They're not starving, but they're not as fat as they used to be, as a group.I put out a round bale of hay today.

I misplaced my key to the main gate and had to use the bolt cutters. They've turned out to be a most useful tool in recent years, between cutting fence panels and locks off storage units, and cutting my own fence chains from time to time. I like big ones.

This kind of fence panel, I mean. I use these to build pens and garden fence. The bolt cutters are perfect to cut these to size.

I have a small freezer picked out at Sam's. I'm  going to slaughter some of these young piglets before they're weaned. I haven't counted how many males yet. They're going to go first.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:30:46 PM by Eddie »

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 11, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »
Sunday.

I didn't nail down the water tank with T-posts, and so the pigs had managed tot break the water connection at the tank, since Thursday, by pushing the tank, which weighs a few hundred pounds when full, around the pen a bit. Quick work. So it was actually fortuitous that the pressure switch stuck again and the well didn't pump continuously. But now I have to go back tomorrow and reconnect the water, make it more bullet proof, and install a pressure switch, if I can find one locally.

Another litter. I have 14 baby piglets. I lost a couple. I've come to expect that.

I'm feeding more often and the herd is eating more. They're not starving, but they're not as fat as they used to be, as a group.I put out a round bale of hay today.

I misplaced my key to the main gate and had to use the bolt cutters. They've turned out to be a most useful tool in recent years, between cutting fence panels and locks off storage units, and cutting my own fence chains from time to time. I like big ones.

This kind of fence panel, I mean. I use these to build pens and garden fence. The bolt cutters are perfect to cut these to size.

I have a small freezer picked out at Sam's. I'm  going to slaughter some of these young piglets before they're weaned. I haven't counted how many males yet. They're going to go first.

How is the meat on piglets before they are weaned?  Sounds like the pig version of Veal, but I never had it.

If you switch over to Poultry, how about Cornish Game Hens instead of Chickens?  That might give you access to the restaurant market in Ausitn.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »
Sunday.

How is the meat on piglets before they are weaned?  Sounds like the pig version of Veal, but I never had it.

If you switch over to Poultry, how about Cornish Game Hens instead of Chickens?  That might give you access to the restaurant market in Ausitn.

RE
very yummy.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 11, 2018, 05:58:05 PM »
I'll try to smoke one really slow in my smoker and see how it turns out. I'm guessing it'll be pretty good.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 12, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »
I am thinking about getting a pick-up camper to fit on the back of my truck. I'd probably leave it set up on a rack (off the truck) out at the stead, with the idea that my next truck would be bought with camper hauling in mind. Maybe a dually one-ton. My current truck (or one just like it) would do, with heavy springs added, I think.

I have run across a nice old Avion, that I think would be a good one to customize and turn into a bug-out vehicle.

https://images.craigslist.org/00b0b_b8iitf1u3ik_600x450.jpg

I like these because they don't require a yearly registration tax, and they have no tires or running gear of their own to maintain. Since having some kind of truck is a given for me, I think it makes some sense.

I don't need one per se, but it would be nice to have a vehicle set up to travel, with some off-grid and off-road capabilities.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 12, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
I am thinking about getting a pick-up camper to fit on the back of my truck. I'd probably leave it set up on a rack (off the truck) out at the stead, with the idea that my next truck would be bought with camper hauling in mind. Maybe a dually one-ton. My current truck (or one just like it) would do, with heavy springs added, I think.

I have run across a nice old Avion, that I think would be a good one to customize and turn into a bug-out vehicle.

I like these because they don't require a yearly registration tax, and they have no tires or running gear of their own to maintain. Since having some kind of truck is a given for me, I think it makes some sense.

I don't need one per se, but it would be nice to have a vehicle set up to travel, with some off-grid and off-road capabilities.

That's a good Bugout Machine choice for you.  You get dual use out of your Pickup Truck that way.  You can use the pickup for typical daily tasks as long as BAU is ongoing, and load the camper back if you have to GTFO of Dodge in a hurry.  Keep it stocked with long lasting foods, camping gear, tools etc all the time so you can just jump in the vehicle and run away.  RUN AWAY FAST!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 12, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »

I had a vision of the camper I built for my 1991 ford ranger. I still get nostalgic. If It was just me I'd have one. Kids grown and gone I will have again.