AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 143975 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #885 on: June 06, 2017, 12:00:49 AM »
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 12, 2017, 03:30:22 AM »
Murder any piggies yet?  How are the Bees doing?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 12, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »
I lost the hive I moved to the stead. The bees in the roof seem okay. I have been building a loading pen, so I can move some pigs. they are mostly too big to pick up and toss these days. I have to have a sale or carry some to auction, which is a last resort, but might become necessary.

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth keeping the land, since I'm not managing to do much with it. It's a very expensive indulgence, and I might be better off doing something else with the money. The creek is almost dry again. The rains we've had lately don't seem adequate to replenish the water table near the surface levels, although the deep well is fine.

I'm trying to brainstorm how I want to spend my last several working years. That seems to be the bottom line, that I want to keep working, but just try to reduce the ongoing financial commitments. I'm seriously thinking about putting a big boat on Lake Travis, which is close to work, and still a relatively inexpensive place to park a boat, compared with many places elsewhere. I could live aboard and sail a lot like I used to, and live pretty cheap at the marina. Maybe eventually put the McMansion up for rent, if the move to the lake works out.

My dear wife won't willingly move to the stead, and holding on to it doesn't seem as important to me as it once did. I haven't made any real substantive moves to make these changes, just kicking it around so far. If work weren't a priority, I'd move out of Texas to some less politically fucked up state. The right-wing hard line Koch bros. bought government here is hard to stomach.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #888 on: November 12, 2017, 10:32:08 AM »
I lost the hive I moved to the stead. The bees in the roof seem okay. I have been building a loading pen, so I can move some pigs. they are mostly too big to pick up and toss these days. I have to have a sale or carry some to auction, which is a last resort, but might become necessary.

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth keeping the land, since I'm not managing to do much with it. It's a very expensive indulgence, and I might be better off doing something else with the money. The creek is almost dry again. The rains we've had lately don't seem adequate to replenish the water table near the surface levels, although the deep well is fine.

I'm trying to brainstorm how I want to spend my last several working years. That seems to be the bottom line, that I want to keep working, but just try to reduce the ongoing financial commitments. I'm seriously thinking about putting a big boat on Lake Travis, which is close to work, and still a relatively inexpensive place to park a boat, compared with many places elsewhere. I could live aboard and sail a lot like I used to, and live pretty cheap at the marina. Maybe eventually put the McMansion up for rent, if the move to the lake works out.

My dear wife won't willingly move to the stead, and holding on to it doesn't seem as important to me as it once did. I haven't made any real substantive moves to make these changes, just kicking it around so far. If work weren't a priority, I'd move out of Texas to some less politically fucked up state. The right-wing hard line Koch bros. bought government here is hard to stomach.

Happy wife happy life and they died for our freedom.  One of those statements is more true than the other.  How will she be about living on a boat?

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 12, 2017, 01:08:34 PM »
Eddie,
As you know, women are nester's.....

Good luck my friend  :icon_sunny:
Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face
And stars fill my dream
Iím a traveler of both time and space
To be where I have been
To sit with elders of the gentle race
This world has seldom seen
They talk of days for which they sit and wait
All will be revealed

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 12, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »

Sorry to hear about the bees.  :(

Even though I was never too hot on TX as a location for a Doomstead, I would be sorry to see you go out of the Doomsteading bizness, especially without putting in place some other backup/bugout plan for SHTF Day.  A sailboat on a small lake in TX does not count as a good Bugout Plan. lol.  Besides that, what is there to really explore you haven't already been to?

I'm still up for dropping a blue water boat on the TX coast, and hopefully dodging the incoming Strafing Runs of Mother Nature.  They should have some marinas rebuilt by now, or at least functional anyhow.

This 46' Ted Brewer Canoe Stern looks nice.

Love the flush decks and the Pilot House!  :icon_sunny:

If you don't wanna go the boat route with me, how about getting a big ass diesel pusher to cruise in on your long weekends from work and take a few more Holiday weeks for further trips?  I think even the wife would be happy in this not so stealthy van.

Your obsession to keep working of course boggles my mind.  You complain all the time about the taxation, and you have PLENTY of money to retire on, especially if you sell the toothstead and McMansion in the current Austin hot real estate bubble market.  Definitely curious what you would be able to unload those for in FRNs.  If I was in your shoes, I would have everything up for sale on Ebay yesterday.

Anyhow, with the piggies, make sure you save at least one pig's worth of bacon, pork chops, baby back ribs, tenderloin and ham for me to sample when I get down there.  I really am curious how the Mangalitsa breed tastes, even though my sense of taste is pretty shot.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 12, 2017, 05:47:23 PM »
Working just means I get to live with plenty of spending money, as opposed to living on a modest income, which we could do at this point, but once you pull the pin, you are then completely at the mercy of inflation. Inevitably our lifestyle would be slightly more limited each year until death, which might be quite some time. Perhaps two or three decades.

Working also gives me some time to lay up more money to leave to my wife, who will likely outlive me by a decade or more. She has worked hard for me, and I owe her the best I can do to provide for her old age.

She would be fine with living on a boat at a marina at the lake. We used to live about half the time at the lake when our kids were little and we kept a boat there. I do think we'd have to still have a condo or small house in town. Living on the coast would require me to sell my practice and then take far less money working for someone else there. Not enough time to start over. It's a possible. I'm looking into it.

Williamson County, where my practice is, is one of those extremely conservative areas in Texas, the kind I really don't like. Austin is a much different city than Round Rock or Georgetown. It makes sense for us to be more connected to Austin, which is why we live where we do now. But property taxes are getting quite onerous. The outlying rural counties are much better, which is one reason I bought the stead in the first place. My choice would still be to build a dome out there. It's close enough to work to commute.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 12, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »
Living on the coast would require me to sell my practice and then take far less money working for someone else there. Not enough time to start over. It's a possible. I'm looking into it.

YOU don't need to sell your practice and live on the coast,  I live on the coast in the boat.  When you and the wife want to sail it on long weekends, you drive down and I go live in SaVANnah for the weekend.

Bonus for you is your costs are cut in half, since I pay half the dockage fee and half the maintenance costs.  I also pay for half the boat to begin with.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 13, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
I'd consider it if you were in better physical shape, but I think you're better off where you are, honestly.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 13, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »
I'd consider it if you were in better physical shape, but I think you're better off where you are, honestly.

It doesn't matter where I am.  As long as there is a bed, a toilet and a desk with a computer it's all the same.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN