AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 191136 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #945 on: March 22, 2018, 07:48:30 AM »
As soon as I get back from my trip to BVI, I will have to initiate the Final Solution.

Break out the Zyclon-B!

RE

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #946 on: March 22, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »

I hear your pain, dude. Pigs seamed like such a win, win. Real life experience kicked that right out of me. There is just something about pigs that take one look at what you just built, and deciding it would be entertaining to break it. Im not sure there is any fence that they cant break. Its a nightmare. No more pigs for me. Im planning on goats next.
You can read the full, embarrassing story here.  The dizzying highs, the devastating lows, the creamy middles.  https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/c5-and-the-post-apocalyptic-permaculture-pig-redux/

So many good things in your article, which I heartily recommend.

A C5 Rule Of Survival is- “There is no such thing as a Survival Expert. Anyone claiming to be is just trying to sell you something”.

How true. The only thing we sell her is crackpot ideas and bad attitudes.

...a common practice is to trade pigs with another farmer. Killing and eating a pig is fine. Killing and eating the one you became emotionally involved with can be difficult.

C5 Rule of Survival- “30 million Deer in America. 350 million people. One deer per person per month strictly rationed. You do the unworkable math and Prep accordingly.”
I’m not trying to be an argumentative dick. Im trying to save peoples lives that are looking at …being a fake indian…as a survival fall back option. The First Nations have plenty to teach us. Philosophy. Community. Endurance. Unfortunately they can also teach us about starvation…and the near death of a culture because of it. The invaders destroyed the food source to destroy the culture.

So much really good stuff. And good to know that Mr. Wu was a babe magnet.

Just wondering... why not DOCTOR Wu instead of Mister?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 22, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »

I hear your pain, dude. Pigs seamed like such a win, win. Real life experience kicked that right out of me. There is just something about pigs that take one look at what you just built, and deciding it would be entertaining to break it. Im not sure there is any fence that they cant break. Its a nightmare. No more pigs for me. Im planning on goats next.
You can read the full, embarrassing story here.  The dizzying highs, the devastating lows, the creamy middles.  https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/c5-and-the-post-apocalyptic-permaculture-pig-redux/

A C5 Rule Of Survival is- “There is no such thing as a Survival Expert. Anyone claiming to be is just trying to sell you something”.

...a common practice is to trade pigs with another farmer. Killing and eating a pig is fine. Killing and eating the one you became emotionally involved with can be difficult.

C5 Rule of Survival- “30 million Deer in America. 350 million people. One deer per person per month strictly rationed. You do the unworkable math and Prep accordingly.”
I’m not trying to be an argumentative dick. Im trying to save peoples lives that are looking at …being a fake indian…as a survival fall back option. The First Nations have plenty to teach us. Philosophy. Community. Endurance. Unfortunately they can also teach us about starvation…and the near death of a culture because of it. The invaders destroyed the food source to destroy the culture.

Wow. 80s Flashbacks.

Doctor Who, Hey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0tJtI968YM

Well, MrsC5 has a Doctor at the front of her name.... and her nose  would be out of joint if I called the pig Dr. and not her. ;)

Yes. The #1 rule.  C5 Rule Of Survival - “There is no such thing as a Survival Expert. Anyone claiming to be is just trying to sell you something”.  I keep wanting to add, "Trust me on this. I wrote a book about it that you will want to buy..."

Then I tell #2 rule.  C5 Rule Of Survival - “Never trust anyone that says, 'Trust Me'"

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #948 on: March 22, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »

Wow. 80s Flashbacks.

Doctor Who, Hey!

Well, MrsC5 has a Doctor at the front of her name.... and her nose  would be out of joint if I called the pig Dr. and not her. ;)

Yes. The #1 rule.  C5 Rule Of Survival - “There is no such thing as a Survival Expert. Anyone claiming to be is just trying to sell you something”.  I keep wanting to add, "Trust me on this. I wrote a book about it that you will want to buy..."

Then I tell #2 rule.  C5 Rule Of Survival - “Never trust anyone that says, 'Trust Me'"

IN re "Doctor Wu--"

I FINALLY got to the end of your article, which was a whole another article appended to the bottom of the first.

NOW I get it.

I am a BIG Deadwood fan as well. Of course.

Your blog kicks ass. You tell it true as far as I can tell, and your honesty  is palpable. Goof stuff. I guarantee that Eddie will get a big kick out of it.

Sorry you had to disable comments. I can't imagine why people would piss on your honesty, but as an admin here I can testify to the fact that people will argue about which of two flies will leave the wall first.

You and Mrs. Dr. 5 are working your asses off. Much respect and mad props.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 22, 2018, 11:20:02 AM »

Wow. 80s Flashbacks.

Doctor Who, Hey!

Great article. Thanks for dropping by, and for the link.

I will miss my pigs. If the Trump hits the fan here, I'm going back into pig raising immediately if I can. And Mangalitsas are very chill, for pigs. I recommend them. I can't think of any animal that you can raise on small acreage that you can go from start-up to massive amounts of food in such a short time.

I have used double e-fence, with white rope inside and tall poultry mesh as back-up, and this is the first time I've had adults break out. They were hungry. My fault, without a doubt.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 22, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »

Wow. 80s Flashbacks.

Doctor Who, Hey!

Great article. Thanks for dropping by, and for the link.

I will miss my pigs. If the Trump hits the fan here, I'm going back into pig raising immediately if I can. And Mangalitsas are very chill, for pigs. I recommend them. I can't think of any animal that you can raise on small acreage that you can go from start-up to massive amounts of food in such a short time.

I have used double e-fence, with white rope inside and tall poultry mesh as back-up, and this is the first time I've had adults break out. They were hungry. My fault, without a doubt.

C5, is it OK with you if I cross post your blogs on the Diner Blog?  Or you can do it yourself if you are familiar with WP.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #951 on: March 22, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »
C5, is it OK with you if I cross post your blogs on the Diner Blog?  Or you can do it yourself if you are familiar with WP.

RE

IMO, and you didn't ask, it would be a good add.

Years ago, I went to a R&B festival style concert, and an announcer came out and said simply, "Ladies and Gentlemen... the REAL fuckin' deal: Mr. Buddy Guy."

C5 is the real fuckin' deal. He's actually doing it, and he's all in. 

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #952 on: March 22, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »
There is just something about pigs that take one look at what you just built, and deciding it would be entertaining to break it. Im not sure there is any fence that they cant break. Its a nightmare. No more pigs for me. Im planning on goats next.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 22, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »

RE

IMO, and you didn't ask, it would be a good add.

I don't have to ask your opinion.  After all these years, I know what it will be before you write it.  ;D

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 22, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
There is just something about pigs that take one look at what you just built, and deciding it would be entertaining to break it. Im not sure there is any fence that they cant break. Its a nightmare. No more pigs for me. Im planning on goats next.

I think one of the Monolithic Domes style Shotcrete fences would stand up to Pig Attacks.

Basalt Rebar Reinforced, of course.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 22, 2018, 03:07:34 PM »

Yeah, me too.

If you can't keep pigs penned, then goats are gonna be a problem.

But I like the leash idea, with the tire attached, or whatever. That's 3rd world genius for sure.

I remember we had goats when I was a kid. They were ALWAYS out and they liked to stand on top of my Mom's car, which she objected to a great deal. And it took a lot to upset my Mom. She grew up in the Depression, and wringing a chickens neck and plucking it for dinner was no big deal at all to her. But those goats really got her goat, so to speak. We finally got rid of them because she'd had enough.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #956 on: March 22, 2018, 03:34:33 PM »
I think one of the Monolithic Domes style Shotcrete fences would stand up to Pig Attacks.

Horse high? Check!
Bull strong? Yeah, probably...
Pig tight? Check!

and a goat would probably take one look at that and say, oh goody, a climbing wall....
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 22, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »

Horse high? Check!
Bull strong? Yeah, probably...
Pig tight? Check!

and a goat would probably take one look at that and say, oh goody, a climbing wall....

I didn't say this was Goat tight, just Pig tight.  However, for Goats, you could tip it inwards about 10 degrees and they wouldn't be able to climb it.  Goats are not Lynn Hill.  They can't climb overhangs.

You could also top it with barbed wire.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 22, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcxR8KTU5Dg&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gcxR8KTU5Dg&fs=1</a>

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 22, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcxR8KTU5Dg&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gcxR8KTU5Dg&fs=1</a>

First off, the door was open and the Goat dropped through the inside of the open door.

Second, to solve this problem you just add overhanging wire to the top of the fence, or make it 7' high..

Third, this Goat was clearly trained to do this.  Any normal goat would have just walked through the open door.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN