AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 191135 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #960 on: March 22, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSDJUVtHSxE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RSDJUVtHSxE&fs=1</a>

They can climb most fences, including barbed wire. It really takes high fence to keep deer and goats in.  I'll take my chances with pigs over goats.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 22, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSDJUVtHSxE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RSDJUVtHSxE&fs=1</a>
They can climb most fences, including barbed wire. It really takes high fence to keep deer and goats in.  I'll take my chances with pigs over goats.

That fence did not have overhanging wire at the top.

The fence also need to have purchase for the front legs to make the jump, it can't just leap it entirely clear above about 6'.

Besides that, it's not the only way to keep your goats from running off.  You can chain them on a leash  to their Goat House like the Dog Mushers do.

Goats are not Houdini.  If you wanna keep them around for their milk, it's quite possible, people have been doing this for 1000s of years.  Use your imagination.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 22, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »
Thank you. Armchair experts are a dime a dozen. Your advice is duly noted.

I was just trying to show how good they are at getting out. I know it's possible to keep them penned, at least most of the time.

I like cows milk better anyway. I just don't like milking. How do I know this? Because, unlike you, I've actually had to get up on a cold winter morning and do it. Don't try to lecture a farm boy about how to farm.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #963 on: March 22, 2018, 04:52:56 PM »
C5, is it OK with you if I cross post your blogs on the Diner Blog?  Or you can do it yourself if you are familiar with WP.

RE

IMO, and you didn't ask, it would be a good add.

I don't have to ask your opinion.  After all these years, I know what it will be before you write it.  ;D

RE

Well, that is true.  :icon_sunny:
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 22, 2018, 05:05:01 PM »

I was just trying to show how good they are at getting out. I know it's possible to keep them penned, at least most of the time.

I like cows milk better anyway. I just don't like milking. How do I know this? Because, unlike you, I've actually had to get up on a cold winter morning and do it. Don't try to lecture a farm boy about how to farm.

What would be the point of keeping goats if you aren't going to milk them?  ???   :icon_scratch:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 22, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »

I hear your pain, dude. Pigs seamed like such a win, win. Real life experience kicked that right out of me. There is just something about pigs that take one look at what you just built, and deciding it would be entertaining to break it. Im not sure there is any fence that they cant break. Its a nightmare. No more pigs for me. Im planning on goats next.
You can read the full, embarrassing story here.  The dizzying highs, the devastating lows, the creamy middles.  https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/c5-and-the-post-apocalyptic-permaculture-pig-redux/

So many good things in your article, which I heartily recommend.

A C5 Rule Of Survival is- “There is no such thing as a Survival Expert. Anyone claiming to be is just trying to sell you something”.

How true. The only thing we sell her is crackpot ideas and bad attitudes.

...a common practice is to trade pigs with another farmer. Killing and eating a pig is fine. Killing and eating the one you became emotionally involved with can be difficult.

C5 Rule of Survival- “30 million Deer in America. 350 million people. One deer per person per month strictly rationed. You do the unworkable math and Prep accordingly.”
I’m not trying to be an argumentative dick. Im trying to save peoples lives that are looking at …being a fake indian…as a survival fall back option. The First Nations have plenty to teach us. Philosophy. Community. Endurance. Unfortunately they can also teach us about starvation…and the near death of a culture because of it. The invaders destroyed the food source to destroy the culture.

So much really good stuff. And good to know that Mr. Wu was a babe magnet.

Just wondering... why not DOCTOR Wu instead of Mister?

Wow. 80s Flashbacks.

Doctor Who, Hey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0tJtI968YM

Well, MrsC5 has a Doctor at the front of her name.... and her nose  would be out of joint if I called the pig Dr. and not her. ;)

Yes. The #1 rule.  C5 Rule Of Survival - “There is no such thing as a Survival Expert. Anyone claiming to be is just trying to sell you something”.  I keep wanting to add, "Trust me on this. I wrote a book about it that you will want to buy..."

Then I tell #2 rule.  C5 Rule Of Survival - “Never trust anyone that says, 'Trust Me'"

Great article. Thanks for dropping by, and for the link.

I will miss my pigs. If the Trump hits the fan here, I'm going back into pig raising immediately if I can. And Mangalitsas are very chill, for pigs. I recommend them. I can't think of any animal that you can raise on small acreage that you can go from start-up to massive amounts of food in such a short time.

I have used double e-fence, with white rope inside and tall poultry mesh as back-up, and this is the first time I've had adults break out. They were hungry. My fault, without a doubt.

C5, is it OK with you if I cross post your blogs on the Diner Blog?  Or you can do it yourself if you are familiar with WP.

RE

Umm.... O.K.

Just assume... I am an absolute idiot in relation to computers. Which I am. I only came on grid and on line a few years ago. I asked MrsC5 to translate. She told me WP means Word press. I only understand about 10% of word press,,, but got it. Yah, connections are good. I guess I finally earned my bones. Consider me in.

I now have to go confront a challenge on the board. No problem. Its what I do. Human survival is at stake. No biggy.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 22, 2018, 05:19:19 PM »
Umm.... O.K.

Just assume... I am an absolute idiot in relation to computers. Which I am. I only came on grid and on line a few years ago. I asked MrsC5 to translate. She told me WP means Word press. I only understand about 10% of word press,,, but got it. Yah, connections are good. I guess I finally earned my bones. Consider me in.

I now have to go confront a challenge on the board. No problem. Its what I do. Human survival is at stake. No biggy.

I will cross post for you.  Just let me know when you are publishing a new blog and I will move it to the Diner Blog.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 22, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
Umm.... O.K.

I will cross post for you.  Just let me know when you are publishing a new blog and I will move it to the Diner Blog.

RE

Would you rather your Byline be C5, Cerruno5 or something else?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 22, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »

What would be the point of keeping goats if you aren't going to milk them?  ???   :icon_scratch:

RE

Precisely.

I am not looking at goats, although there are reasons they are the most common kind of livestock in these limestone counties. I'm not thinking cows either, as of now. I'm going to go back to plants out there. They mostly just need water and sun. And air conditioning most of the year. LOL.

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 22, 2018, 06:57:12 PM »
Umm.... O.K.

RE

RE
C5 seem best. It packs more punch than than C4.
I prefer Category5... but there seems to be competition for the name... and I dont want to get into a legal battle.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 23, 2018, 12:32:59 AM »
Umm.... O.K.

RE

RE
I prefer Category5... but there seems to be competition for the name... and I dont want to get into a legal battle.

C5 if you like but I think cernunnos5 to match your ID on the Forum is best.  That way anyone coming into the forum from the blog will know it is the same author.

Insofar as Category 5 goes, no the competition is for Category 6.  Bob Henson and Jeff Masters from Weather Underground are using that one now for their weather disaster blog.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 23, 2018, 04:43:52 AM »

RE
[/quote]
[/quote]

C5 if you like but I think cernunnos5 to match your ID on the Forum is best.  That way anyone coming into the forum from the blog will know it is the same author.

Insofar as Category 5 goes, no the competition is for Category 6.  Bob Henson and Jeff Masters from Weather Underground are using that one now for their weather disaster blog.

RE
[/quote]
The name cernunnos5 was the first online name I needed to get on some computer related thing. I figured Cernunnos was pretty obscure. The problem was (A) I didnt expect I was going to be a writer people recognized. and (B) people cant spell it or pronounce it properly.
Someone called me C5 once (for the reasons above) and I thought, "perfect". 
To do what I do, I knew I would have to make myself into a recognizable Brand Name.... like Coke.  So I want to start burying cernunnos. Its too Kitch and sort of like calling myself Jesus.

I chose Category5 (one word) because it is more in your face. Every time a a Category 5 storm happens, They will think of ME... and my work of disaster preparedness and adaptation.

I could use some advice from others though. Here is the problem I face. Every name on the internet has already been taken. There is a small news agency called Category5 (one word). The bigger problem is another survival poster over at The Survival Boards. A contact sent me a note that he exists. It wouldnt be a problem since I dont plan on wading through idiots at Survival Board. The only problem I see is that, supposedly we both talk about prepping...and I might be associated with him or vice versa. I havent cyberstocked him so who know what he says

Thoughts anyone.

On my end, I keep using Category5 or C5....over and over and over again. Stamping its recognition to me and my brand. It sounds corporate and petty.... but if not, my name might as well be pufferdoodle69. A useless name that nobody remembers or takes seriously.   

Re, here is something you could do for me. Maybe we should solve the problem by changing the name on the board here, if that is possible. If it is not, I can just stop using it and come back as a separate account

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 23, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »

RE
[/quote]

RE
[/quote]
The name cernunnos5 was the first online name I needed to get on some computer related thing. I figured Cernunnos was pretty obscure. The problem was (A) I didnt expect I was going to be a writer people recognized. and (B) people cant spell it or pronounce it properly.
Someone called me C5 once (for the reasons above) and I thought, "perfect". 
To do what I do, I knew I would have to make myself into a recognizable Brand Name.... like Coke.  So I want to start burying cernunnos. Its too Kitch and sort of like calling myself Jesus.

I chose Category5 (one word) because it is more in your face. Every time a a Category 5 storm happens, They will think of ME... and my work of disaster preparedness and adaptation.

I could use some advice from others though. Here is the problem I face. Every name on the internet has already been taken. There is a small news agency called Category5 (one word). The bigger problem is another survival poster over at The Survival Boards. A contact sent me a note that he exists. It wouldnt be a problem since I dont plan on wading through idiots at Survival Board. The only problem I see is that, supposedly we both talk about prepping...and I might be associated with him or vice versa. I havent cyberstocked him so who know what he says

Thoughts anyone.

On my end, I keep using Category5 or C5....over and over and over again. Stamping its recognition to me and my brand. It sounds corporate and petty.... but if not, my name might as well be pufferdoodle69. A useless name that nobody remembers or takes seriously.   

Re, here is something you could do for me. Maybe we should solve the problem by changing the name on the board here, if that is possible. If it is not, I can just stop using it and come back as a separate account
[/quote]

Didn't God & Moses have these same issues with a "Name"

Just use "I-Am"....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 23, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »

I can change the displayed name here to Category5.  Your Username will remain the same and your password will remain the same.  I will make your byline on the blog Category5.

Later though, gotta go to the lab for a blood draw.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 23, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
I had another litter of piglets. I lost one. I now have 21 babies and 18 adults.

When I arrived I had three younger adults out of the pen and everyone else was still content to be in the surround. I got them rounded up and then went to town and bought the hottest AC powered fence charger I could find (a 60 mile rated-- 3 Joules).  I ran 200 ft of extension cord to put grid power into the e-fence. 

I spent a couple of hours cleaning up and fixing grounded out areas and put up 20 additional e-fence posts in to support both the poultry mesh outer fence and the 2 strands of white rope inner fence.

The new water location is working out okay. The well pump is working. I found an extra working AC fence charger that belonged to the prior owner, and I might run another temporary extension cord and hook that one up on the far side of the pen for even more current.

I need to get these guys ready for when I go to BVI next week. I have a new ally. My newly retired new neighbors offered to feed for me when I'm gone. They're interested in farm animals. They're also there all the time right now, and have other retired guests visiting. Lots of manpower. I won't turn down the help.