AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 193452 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #1140 on: November 10, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »
5 Cms of snow and minus 4 celcius last night. The chickens are in their winter coop in the hoop house as of this morning. We just found and ate the last melon and peppers from in there. The large wood lot with the buildings is still for sale. My neighbour who owned the wood lot next to it just passed. A messy family affair at this point. I've had to put that dream on hold as I focus on kids. With one partial income I need to be financially cautious. We have a paid for house 10 acres and a decent nest egg.  If "I" was still a "we" we would have gone for it started over and rebuilt. If you build your own home it's a great way to build equity. As is... I'll just tweak this place; Bigger array in the spring, better garden planning, use the hoop house to full effect, new garden plot, refine my charcoal work maybe a tiny home bunkie...
Cheers, David
Ps I prefer the Briggs and Kohler and the clones over the hondas. Honda is a better engine but more complex and while the engine lasts forever some wear parts don't. Try to stay away from anything that uses a fuel pump arrangement of any kind. Always best if it gravity feeds into the carb. Those silly setups always screw up first...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:05:33 PM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 10, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »
5 Cms of snow and minus 4 celcius last night. The chickens are in their winter coop in the hoop house as of this morning. We just found and ate the last melon and peppers from in there. The large wood lot with the buildings is still for sale. My neighbour who owned the wood lot next to it just passed. A messy family affair at this point. I've had to put that dream on hold as I focus on kids. With one partial income I need to be financially cautious. We have a paid for house 10 acres and a decent nest egg.  If "I" was still a "we" we would have gone for it started over and rebuilt. If you build your own home it's a great way to build equity. As is... I'll just tweak this place; Bigger array in the spring, better garden planning, use the hoop house to full effect, new garden plot, refine my charcoal work maybe a tiny home bunkie...
Cheers, David
Ps I prefer the Briggs and Kohler and the clones over the hondas. Honda is a better engine but more complex and while the engine lasts forever some wear parts don't. Try to stay away from anything that uses a fuel pump arrangement of any kind. Always best if it gravity feeds into the carb. Those silly setups always screw up first...

My cousin up in Puget Sound (Poulsbo) did exactly as you have done & is set.
McMansion paid for nail by nail. He's my age, 62 & is a union electrician with a large firm (the name escapes me) but there here in Az as well.
Just gonna' keep doin' the dew til ?

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 10, 2018, 01:31:30 PM »
It's 25F and cloudy today on the last great frontier.  No precip for the last week or so.  Next week looks good at 32F and Sunny most days.  Dentistas are in high demand as well.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 10, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
It turned out to be a nice afternoon, and I had both sections of e-fence rolled up in a couple of hours. It was not nearly as muddy as I was expecting, and I got everything down nicely, but I still need to haul it all under a shed. There is still some detritus from the load out....boards and tarps and fence panel scraps and pieces of sheet metal that the guys used to try to herd the piggies, but one more afternoon ought to return the area to open pasture. It's still very wet inside the old pen. I'll plow it when it dries out.

There was no wind in the creek bottom, and the low fifties weather was comfortable with me in a hoody and a baseball cap.

I cut my finger yanking too hard on that e-fence. It's nylon rope with wire embedded in it...surprised me. The grass had grown into the fence so badly in some spots I had to pull up the grass before I could free it up. I should have worn gloves.

The dogs had a big time. They frolicked about wildly while I took down the outer fence. but after I took down the mesh, they wandered into the muddy pen. Fortunately the mud  mostly only got on their feet, and they had dried out pretty well by the time I was ready to knock off.

The creek is full and running well, and it looks glorious. I should have gotten that dam built last summer.. Not possible now, at the moment.

I was planning to let the dogs go for a swim, but today that got sacrificed to work.

This time of year sort of makes me sad. In the fall I feel the passage of time, and if I didn't know better I'd think I was mourning for my lost boyhood, when my future was still in the future, and all things were still possible. And all the people who anchored me to the land and my small world were still alive.

The grey, cloudy day took my melancholy and distilled it into something that felt sweet by the time I had spent an hour untying all that knotted-up hot rope from the fiberglass e-fence stanchions.  Like somehow unraveling all those knots unravelled something inside me that was knotted up too. Unexpected therapy in the form of mindless physical activity.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:48:06 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 10, 2018, 06:13:12 PM »
The grey, cloudy day took my melancholy and distilled it into something that felt sweet by the time I had spent an hour untying all that knotted-up hot rope from the fiberglass e-fence stanchions.  Like somehow unraveling all those knots unravelled something inside me that was knotted up too. Unexpected therapy in the form of mindless physical activity.

Try Candle🕯️ Making.  Very therapeutic and not nearly so much physical work, even cripples can do it.  Burning the candles🕯️ also eases the mind, so you get a twofer here.  I can sit and meditate watching the fire burn for hours.  I wish I had a nice stone fireplace like my old house in Flushing had, but the Candles🕯️ do pretty well to keep me at peace.

Next week I'm going to try making some new candles🕯️ with used automotive oil and pine tar.  Getting that to burn clean will be a real challenge!  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1145 on: November 11, 2018, 01:20:16 AM »
It turned out to be a nice afternoon, and I had both sections of e-fence rolled up in a couple of hours. It was not nearly as muddy as I was expecting, and I got everything down nicely, but I still need to haul it all under a shed. There is still some detritus from the load out....boards and tarps and fence panel scraps and pieces of sheet metal that the guys used to try to herd the piggies, but one more afternoon ought to return the area to open pasture. It's still very wet inside the old pen. I'll plow it when it dries out.

There was no wind in the creek bottom, and the low fifties weather was comfortable with me in a hoody and a baseball cap.

I cut my finger yanking too hard on that e-fence. It's nylon rope with wire embedded in it...surprised me. The grass had grown into the fence so badly in some spots I had to pull up the grass before I could free it up. I should have worn gloves.

The dogs had a big time. They frolicked about wildly while I took down the outer fence. but after I took down the mesh, they wandered into the muddy pen. Fortunately the mud  mostly only got on their feet, and they had dried out pretty well by the time I was ready to knock off.

The creek is full and running well, and it looks glorious. I should have gotten that dam built last summer.. Not possible now, at the moment.

I was planning to let the dogs go for a swim, but today that got sacrificed to work.

This time of year sort of makes me sad. In the fall I feel the passage of time, and if I didn't know better I'd think I was mourning for my lost boyhood, when my future was still in the future, and all things were still possible. And all the people who anchored me to the land and my small world were still alive.

This is really very nice writing, by the way.

Making the most of a grey day in the fall.

Ever think about collecting these snippets into one place as a leave-behind for your children? Probably not, since you just write for yourself, as you've said. But it occurs to me that they might appreciate a collection of your musings when you have gone to join those people who still live in your memory.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 11, 2018, 01:29:50 PM »

This is really very nice writing, by the way.

Making the most of a grey day in the fall.

Ever think about collecting these snippets into one place as a leave-behind for your children? Probably not, since you just write for yourself, as you've said. But it occurs to me that they might appreciate a collection of your musings when you have gone to join those people who still live in your memory.

Thanks Surly. Kind of you to say that. I will make more effort to archive some of my better stuff.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 11, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »

Thanks Surly. Kind of you to say that. I will make more effort to archive some of my better stuff.

The Diner is the archive.

LONG LIVE THE DOOMSTEAD DINER!
RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 11, 2018, 02:15:21 PM »
So far it's the ONLY archive for my writing.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 11, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »

A good incentive for you to keep the Diner running after I buy my ticket to the Great Beyond.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 11, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »
a few of the sites I post on have a download all posts option... I have occasionally gone back and reread posts to be amused at how my thinking has changed.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 11, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »
a few of the sites I post on have a download all posts option... I have occasionally gone back and reread posts to be amused at how my thinking has changed.

There is a Download Mod for SMF (the software the Diner Forum runs on), but I'm not gonna risk installing it.  I get in trouble all the time when I install these things.  I know just enough about this shit to get into deep doo-doo.  I'm not a Code Jockey.  You can however "show all posts" for your ID and copy paste the ones you think are worth keeping.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN