AuthorTopic: Internet Blackout  (Read 1930 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Internet Blackout
« on: August 24, 2013, 04:54:43 AM »
Read more here.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Blackout
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 05:07:56 AM »
Read more here.

Reminds me of Max Keiser's Buy Silver campaign.

It is DOOMED to failure.  Karl simply does not have sufficient readership to make a dent here.  You likely can count on the fingers of one hand the number of Websites that will shut down in Solidarity with Karl.  Not to mention "Solidarity" with such a vehement Anti-Union Kapitalista Pigman like Karl is pretty much the ULTIMATE Oxymoron.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:16:50 AM »
It is DOOMED to failure.  Karl simply does not have sufficient readership to make a dent here.  You likely can count on the fingers of one hand the number of Websites that will shut down in Solidarity with Karl.  Not to mention "Solidarity" with such a vehement Anti-Union Kapitalista Pigman like Karl is pretty much the ULTIMATE Oxymoron.
I'm not quite so sure... I don't give a damn about Karl.  I just love the idea of giving the NSA the finger.  That meme is what might catch on.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 05:25:54 AM »
I'm not quite so sure... I don't give a damn about Karl.  I just love the idea of giving the NSA the finger.  That meme is what might catch on.

Wanna bet on it?  LOL.

At any rate, *I* sure as hell will not shut down in "solidarity" with Karl "Ban Button" Denninger.  I doubt any of the 9-11 Troofer Websites will either.  Karl is a fucking asshole.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 05:46:29 AM »
At any rate, *I* sure as hell will not shut down in "solidarity" with Karl "Ban Button" Denninger.  I doubt any of the 9-11 Troofer Websites will either.  Karl is a fucking asshole.
Ah... that's a different story.  I had never heard about Karl before GO's article about this event, so I didn't care one way or the other.  If it's not just a case of obscurity but rather of having actively pissed people off, yeah, I can see how that would be doomed to failure.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 05:51:42 AM »
Read more here.

Reminds me of Max Keiser's Buy Silver campaign.

RE

I agree with RE that it is doomed to failure.  My only reason for posting it was that there was a will and desire there to fight the bastards that oppress and lord over us, rather than just shrug our shoulders and bend over.

It COULD work if enough of us cared enough, that is the truly sad part. :'(

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 06:01:06 AM »

Wanna bet on it?  LOL.

RE

RE, While I certainly understand your dislike of Karl after he banned you, and perhaps even before that occurence. I don't think it is a good idea to not participate in a good plan or ideas because we dislike the person who proposes it.

There will no doubt come a time in our fight against Doom when we  ALL have to come together, friends, enemies, all sorts of conflicting groups to fight an evil enemy that requires us to unite in order to have any chance of winning.

Lets look at the plan and not just the proposer of such.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 06:30:09 AM »

Wanna bet on it?  LOL.

RE

RE, While I certainly understand your dislike of Karl after he banned you, and perhaps even before that occurence. I don't think it is a good idea to not participate in a good plan or ideas because we dislike the person who proposes it.

There will no doubt come a time in our fight against Doom when we  ALL have to come together, friends, enemies, all sorts of conflicting groups to fight an evil enemy that requires us to unite in order to have any chance of winning.

Lets look at the plan and not just the proposer of such.

Well, BESIDES the fact I have a personal Axe to Grind with Karl, I think it is a dumb idea.

What does a one day shut down of Collapse Websites do at all?  The number of people reading ALL of them is exceedingly small, INCLUDING fucking Zero Hedge, and I am quite sure the Tyler Durdens will not shut down.  Even IF Tyler shut down ZH for a day, the economic impact of this is miniscule.

You wanna make a DIFFERENCE Karl?  Use your programming skills to take down the Nasdaq for a day.  THAT will get some attention.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 06:50:59 AM »
Well, BESIDES the fact I have a personal Axe to Grind with Karl, I think it is a dumb idea.

What does a one day shut down of Collapse Websites do at all?  The number of people reading ALL of them is exceedingly small, INCLUDING fucking Zero Hedge, and I am quite sure the Tyler Durdens will not shut down.  Even IF Tyler shut down ZH for a day, the economic impact of this is miniscule.

You wanna make a DIFFERENCE Karl?  Use your programming skills to take down the Nasdaq for a day.  THAT will get some attention.

RE

That  NASDAQ idea would no doubt  get some attention but most likely land you in the pokey.

You seem to be missing Karl's point about boycotting all the big biz and their BUY BUY BUY bullshit.  Ruining their Black Friday nonsense with the lemmings running over each other to display their idiocy would certainly garner some results as well, but let you still walk the streets.

Unless of course they pass a law that people who go for an extended period without shopping will be jailed.  :laugh:

Whatever the case, as you correctly point out, no one is going to listen, why kid ourselves.   

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »
Even if all of the alternative media blacked itself out, who would notice, except those who are already of the feeling that the NSA is a fascism ready and in wait? Better that everybody write what the actually think, about the NSA, total surveillance et al, and then spend the day bombarding every message board on the planet.

WHD

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »

RE

That  NASDAQ idea would no doubt  get some attention but most likely land you in the pokey.

You seem to be missing Karl's point about boycotting all the big biz and their BUY BUY BUY bullshit.  Ruining their Black Friday nonsense with the lemmings running over each other to display their idiocy would certainly garner some results as well, but let you still walk the streets.

Unless of course they pass a law that people who go for an extended period without shopping will be jailed.  :laugh:

Whatever the case, as you correctly point out, no one is going to listen, why kid ourselves.   

I am with GO here.

It is *precisely* this sort of mass action that will work. One of the premises of Occupy.

It will almost certainly not work the first time around. But I love the idea of hitting them where they live and denying them of the only thing they need from us.

A terrific idea, which we ought to support. IMO.

My two centavos.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."