AuthorTopic: A Message from Peter  (Read 2145 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
A Message from Peter
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
I invited Peter to join us for the first Test Vidcast next Sunday, but unfortunately his Satellite connection from Ocean Falls won't handle it.

He did catch me up on his latest projects out there in the Fjords of BC, and invited me to share the note with the rest of the Diners.  He is in the process of moving even further out to Wallace Bay, and is in the Fixup Stage there.  More below from Peter.

RE

You can find all the Pictures of the cabin and Wallace Bay in Peter's Album on the halfpast Ocean Falls website.

Quote from: Peter
I'm living out in Wallace Bay 4 or 5 days a week now. It's about 1/2 an hour by boat out the Inlet from Ocean Falls. I'm reviving an old abandoned cabin. I come in to Ocean Falls for a couple of days a week to run the ferry ramp. Nobody else around in the Bay except the whales,  wolves, bears and a few fishermen during the summer days. I sleep out on the front deck and about the only commotion that wakes me at night is snoring whales who often sleep right in front of the cabin. Their snorting during nightmares tends to wake me up occasionally. Still very soothing.   

working on the trail for the water line.

deck / bedroom

Shot from my bedroom/deck a couple of evenings ago.

I'm really enjoying being out there. I spent a lot of time in the wilderness on my own in my youth and this is like returning to my roots. Getting away from the modern complexity and insane pace of life feels right. Salvaging the leftovers from some of the previous generation that lived a much simple life also feels right. I suspect most of us in our lifetimes will have no choice but to build our lives over again using the ruins of the past. Our current way of life is coming apart at the seams and will not last much longer.

It's a huge undertaking to make this cabin livable again in such a remote location without power or running water but I am enjoying every moment of it. Mostly what it will take is a lot of hard work as I am able to salvage and trade for most of what I need for the repairs. It's about 1/2 hour by boat to Ocean Falls and everything I need but some lumber I can salvage from 3 other cabins in the bay that have already fallen down needs to be boated out in my smallish boat.

The first thing needed was safe moorage for my boat.  There are 18ft tides here and no possibility of a dock on this mostly rocky shore. The first few trips I unloaded on shore and then anchored the boat about 100 feet out and then kayaked back to shore.

The Ocean gets quite rough here, especially during the almost constant winter storms, and an anchor won't suffice. The terrain is very rugged and you can't walk out if you lose your boat. I will also keep my 12ft skiff safely on shore for a backup. 

Friends working at the power company graciously built me a great mooring buoy with a good enough anchor to keep my boat safe during the winter storms. I am considering a clothesline addition to the buoy meaning I can reel the boat in and out from shore as needed to avoid the kayak trip, but it needs some serious debugging in good weather before trusting it in storms.

The cabin needs a lot of structural work but the priority was to make the place liveable enough to stay in while I work on it as trips back and forth are expensive and time consuming and not always possible because of weather.

The pictures below give you an idea of what I am facing. In order to live here I need to cook here. Here's what the kitchen looked like.

before
The floor fell out of the pantry behind the kitchen and a bear, otters and martin came in to play. They made quite a mess. The roof leaked here and the floor and sections of wall were rotted. The rest of the cabin isn't quite as bad.

First step a little cleaning. Then fix the leak, put in a new sub-floor, wall section, new counter to cook on and repair some existing cupboards to use until I put on a new polished finishing layer.

cleaned and basic repairs
All the cabin's interior walls and floors will be paneled in locally cut 1x8 inch cedar boards. Because it is quite dark here often because of fog and low clouds,  the walls will have a pickled white wash that will brighten things up while still showing the natural grain of the wood. The floors and counter tops will be left natural cedar with just a coating of satin varathane. 

The kitchen is now primered to help keep it cleaner until I put the cedar paneling up and finish the counters and cupboards after the priority structural work is done.

The view out the window above the sink into the rainforest is stunning especially when the windows are taken out, which is most of the time. When it's pouring rain the surroundings are incredibly lush. There are still a lot of large old growth trees and judicious brushing will create some wonderful woodlands wanders. I have a huge number of huckleberry trees, too big to be called bushes, all around the cabin and currently browse everyday to get my fill. 

primered for use until paneled... looks stark now but will eventually have all the warm wood tones again
The cabin was totally brushed in and you couldn't even bushwack around it so I spent a couple of days brushing around the cabin and also started a trail to where I will put a water line eventually for a small microhydro electric system and running water. I also brushed a trail to 3 collapsed cabins in order to salvage lumber from them.

The pile of rubbish below the cabin was what was in the pantry above it when it collapsed. A bear scattered stuff all up the hillside. There is much old garbage around and I spent time cleaning up after brushing out a good dumpsite in a hollow a couple of hundred feet from the cabin.

All the posts shown below need to be replaced.

contents of collapsed pantry

A very precarious support
In civilization, with access to machinery, these repairs would not be a big deal but out in the bush by myself, by hand, where everything needs to be boated in it is a daunting undertaking. Most of the posts I can do by myself but a couple of them will need help from friends.

As shown below the entrance to the cabin used to be onto the front deck but the stairs fell off some years ago. It is a chore getting things like buckets of water, larger tools and such stuff seven feet up the ladder into the cabin.

ladder at missing stairs
Rather than replacing the stairs I decided to put a new entrance door in nearer the back of the cabin where a 12 ft level wooden walkway from the back of the cabin will give easy level access. The front deck is now my bedroom and having a different entrance for visitors is also nicer.

The new basic unfinished door is shown below. The  walkway to it will be done this coming week.

new door in
I will eventually put a big window in the door as it adds a lot of light to the front room.

The new door from the inside. This room will be refinished with the same whitewashed 1x8 cedar on the walls and natural cedar floors. A very small woodstove will go into the spot next to the door. It will be more for drying clothes than for heat. In this very humid and often cool or cold climate, clothes get soaking wet very quickly and are impossible to dry out even when hanging in the sun.

new door from inside
The initial micro hydro system will produce about 800 watts of power 24/7/365 and will mostly charge a battery bank composed of the spare batteries from my EV. I won't need much power and about 40% of the output should suffice for daily use. The unused micro hydro power needs to be shunted somewhere when it is not busy charging the batteries and will run an 800 watt heater in the cabin when not busy with other duties. This should be all the heat I need to keep things dryer. It will be capable of supporting lights, refrigeration, and all my power tools. Right now I use a small generator for my tools.

I'm currently figuring out how to set up the hydroponics out here. I can likely do a small summer garden and the bay provides all the salmon, halibut, cod, crab prawns and muscles I can eat. Being self-sufficient out here won't be a problem.

I have the possibility of enough power and access to the material to build the needed space. Once I've bought all the materials I need I will likely give up the BC Ferries gig and live in the bay fulltime. for now the bit of money the gig brings in helps finance this undertaking.

Eventually I want to live out here fulltime but for now the BC Ferries gig (about 2 hours, twice a week)  helps finance what I am doing out here. So I will continue to come into town a couple of days a week.
Peter
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A Message from Peter
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 03:23:01 AM »
Just great to hear from you Peter and know that all is well. Your long absence had many of us worried about your health and safety. Obvious you are very busy, as usual, but please keep us posted when you find the time.   :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:26:38 AM by Golden Oxen »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 03:35:04 AM »
I invited Peter to join us for the first Test Vidcast next Sunday, but unfortunately his Satellite connection from Ocean Falls won't handle it.

He did catch me up on his latest projects out there in the Fjords of BC, and invited me to share the note with the rest of the Diners.  He is in the process of moving even further out to Wallace Bay, and is in the Fixup Stage there.  More below from Peter.

RE

Really good to know what Peter is up to after a long absence. He's doing a great job on the WB cabin as well. Any idea why he is moving further out?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:59:20 AM »
Really good to know what Peter is up to after a long absence. He's doing a great job on the WB cabin as well. Any idea why he is moving further out?

Oh yes, for sure, I know Peter very well after so many years and so many long chats on Reverse Engineering.

Peter is very much a Hermit, he likes to be alone and far away from other people and the mess the world is in.  Remember, even in his youth he spent long periods alone in the woods as a  Fire Ranger.

He still is kind of Techno though, thus he isn't doing "Rewilding" but rather trying to set up such stuff as Micro Hydro power that will last at least as long as he is around to fix and maintain it.  He will succeed at that I am sure.

I have said this for years running, but next summer for SURE, I am going to get down there to visit with him.

He remains a fabulous model for Self-Sufficiency, and generally I think while he is working on his Projects, it gives him Peace.  When he gets going on the Net, the Conspiracy stuff overwhelms him, and this I think is why he had to give this up.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »
He still is kind of Techno though, thus he isn't doing "Rewilding" but rather trying to set up such stuff as Micro Hydro power that will last at least as long as he is around to fix and maintain it.  He will succeed at that I am sure.

Well, with easy access to 18 feet of tidal change, I too am certain he has an inexhaustible source of renewable energy.  :emthup: :icon_sunny:

Of course if the moon leaves Earth orbit, he won't have tides... I'm sure MKing will remind him that "nothing lasts forever"....  
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.