PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Collapse Cafe

AuthorTopic: Collapse Cafe  (Read 32113 times)

Offline Jaded Prole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
    • Partisan Press
Re: Collapse Cafe
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2013, 05:15:53 AM »
Looks good but I don't want to give Google that much info.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »
Well certainly the sheer entertainment value of yet another Alaskan driving an SUV to McDonalds is proof of Doom credentials, it being so different from what all other Alaskans (and Lower 48 folks) are doing on a Sunday morning. Such a unique act it will certainly be noticed for its importance across all the world.
Yes, but most of those other people are doing it to get food.  RE is doing it to get WiFi access.  Anymore, not having hi-speed Internet in your home does give some Doom credibility.  Biking there of course would give more.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »
Doom credibility is given to those who don't post on internet forums, thereby waling the walk of not requiring fossil fuel fired electricity to run their made from plastic and crude oil constructed computers and phones. They are called Amish.

There is much to admire and learn from our fellow Amish citizens, by their good example and way of life.

Not positive, but I feel pretty certain they are not poisoning themselves and their children with GMO food, nor their minds with MSM bullshit and despicable advertising. Doesn't appear they have a severe obesity problem either judging by the picture.  :D

Amish
Amish

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
I have dragged myself out of bed and am off in search of free Wi-Fi.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »
We have a Hangout going.  Join the PAHHHTY!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Collapse Cafe 9/1/13
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »
Monsta, JD and me did our own Collapse Cafe since the rest of you Deadbeats did not show up AGAIN.   ::)

Fortunately, Monsta and Me can talk Collapse all day, so we got a nice 46 minute show on Nukes and Syria.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3SiVVN8if7U?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3SiVVN8if7U?feature=player_detailpage</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2013, 08:24:42 PM »

This bothers a lot of people, and to an extent bothers me also, but not as much as it used to.

First off, just by running the Diner itself sans the techno-wizardry, this is plenty to get all my personal info onto the Google and NSA Databases.  To lease the server space I have to provide a Credit/Debit card, so my IRL Identity is tied to the Diner right from the get-go that way.

Then every time you "network" up to another service such as Facepalm and Twitshit, you further tie together your Net Activity.  So for me, as Publisher of the Diner it is impossible anyhow to retain any anonymity from Google or the NSA if I wish to keep expanding the Diner across various web products.

Is it really IMPORTANT to keep expanding in this way?  Well, I am a Techno-Junky, I admit to this.  As Surly has remarked, I never found a Web Toy I did not like.  LOL.  However, I do see some Negative Blowback as far as other Diners are concerned.

First off, many if not most like the Text Format and this is sufficient for them in terms of information exchange.  Even if Podcasts are available to listen to, many READERS don't listen to Podcasts, which is generally more time consuming depending how fast you read.  You can't really speed read or scan through a podcast as you can with Text material.

Still, Podcasts are Passive for the LISTENER, just Listening to a Podcast PROBABLY does not add you to the Watch List on the NSA Database.  PARTICIPATING on the other hand on one of our new Collapse Cafe Vidcasts just about certainly adds you to some list somewhere, as to Hook Up with Hangouts on Google+ DEMANDS you tie in your Email Account at the very least, and if you wanna start your OWN, your Cell Phone Number also.

Is it worthwhile to do this?  I wonder about it now, after a week or so of trying to get other people to Drop In on a Vidcast to Discuss Collapse, complete with Video of your Facial Expressions etc.  So far, remarkably few people are interested in doing this, either Diners OR other Collapse Bloggers and Pundits.  I am continuing on with the idea a bit longer here, because of the Pet Peeve I have of Internet Collapse Punditry, which is a LACK OF DIALOGUE.  All these folks Pontificating on their OWN websites about the Nature of Collapse and its potential outcomes, but almost NEVER any real dialogue between these folks.  The Google+ Hangouts offers the possibility of real Dialogue in real time between several people, without the "mediation" that occurs in a written Commentary on a given blog by the Blog Author.

Without the participation of others though, cool as the technology is it is a waste of time and bandwidth to use, a Podcast works as well or even just writing a Blog on a given topic.

I do not know yet whether I can get people to let go of their Revulsion for Google and the endless Data Mining of your Life that occurs when you use these services.  I do see great value in it as possible though if people will risk openly discussing these issues in such a Forum.  For myself, I gave up some of my Anonymity to do this, not just to the NSA who already has a File on me I am sure pages deep, but also to everybody on the Net who surfs over to the Diner.  My Face and My Hat are now well known.  LOL.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »

I don't know man...I don't think it matters anymore.  I mean if you have a cell phone then all of those conversations are recorded.  Anything you do on the net is potentially recorded depending on word sequencing and flag words.  There really is no escape or anonymity left any longer in this New World Bravely we're all living in.  I resisted as long as I could, with giving information.  I suppose you can remain anonymous if you never use the net to buy anything.  But if you use email then they'd probably be able to triangulate your identity from those you communicate with.  Basically, if you interact with the net, they can figure out who you are. 

But then, let's not forget, that they already know who you are.  Do you have a job where you pay taxes?  Do you have a bank account with a debit card.  Do you have any credit cards?  Do you have medical insurance (I can tell you that HIPPA is mostly a fuckin' joke...they take it seriously in the hospital, but people are people and they tell what they can get away with telling).  Do you have a car payment?  House payment?  Even if you don't, and you "own" your home then you still pay taxes on the property. 

Unless you have deliberately changed your identity, they know who you are.  Even if you change your identity they will know who your new identity is.  There is no escape.  I just mean that if this is your only reason for not participating then I think you may be slightly deluded about the nature of your anonymity. 

However, it does bring up an interesting point.  I mean probably 300 million Americans use the net on a daily basis, as well as text and cell phone usage off and on all day long.  The amount of information is gargantuan.  It's so much information that trying to make heads and tails of it all (NSA's snoopville) is about akin to hubris really.  They'll eventually nab fuckers in their sleep, little fuckers like us, just to spread the fear.  But that's sort of like the odds of winning the lottery. 

My strategy is to hide in plain sight.  They know who I am and what I'm about, as does everybody else on the net who wants to know.  I make no secrete about the fact that all of the boot lickin' government zombies and their masters can kiss my fuckin' ass.  I told them as much as I was pissin' marijuana into a cup on an air craft carrier 12 years ago. 

I tried to show up yesterday.  But we had company, and I got kids, and I already spent an hour and a half on skype with JDW gettin' shit straight for this online PDC.  I searched for "collapse cafe" and nothing ever showed up.  Saw monsta and RE on skype but didn't feel like dickin' with the computer any longer.  But I'm definitely not opposed to showing up.  I think it could be a blast if we get enough of us on the computer at the same time.  However, in a situation like we have, I'm not sure how important it is to have this hang out thing.  I mean what are we going to say that we don't say everyday on the Diner via text?  To a certain extent we're just going to be saying the same shit we say anyways. 

The collapse pundits likely aren't going to show up where they will be at the mercy of Diner's who will have the freedom to ask anything, say anything...and in real time.  Nobody wants to be caught off guard or made to look like a fool, especially when they're makin' money off the niche collapse market. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Collapse Cafe 9/3/13
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »
The Cafe will be OPEN tomorrow again starting around Noon or so Alaska Time, maybe a bit later.

Whenever the Cafe is OPEN, there will be a link here inside the Diner and on the Collapse Cafe Page on the Diner. Blog.  The page is also accessible via the URL http://collapsecafe.com. Bookmark it.  The Link  on the page should make it very easy for you to join the Hangout.

I invited some Collapse Star Mystery Guests for this one, hopefully at least one of them will show up.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
Cafe Cancelled for today

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Collapse Cafe 9/7/13- Occupy Monsanto
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
I will try to hold the culminating Vidcast on Occupy Monsanto on Saturday 9 AM Alaska Time, Noon CDT, 6PM UKT.  This is before WHD goes to work so he should be able to make it.  I hope I can drag myself out of bed that early.  LOL.

Ideally, everyone who contributed an article to the Blog-a-thon will be there.

I will have a link up here on Sat as soon as I create the Hangout.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »
I'm UP!

Collapse Cafe Coming to a Laptop Near You!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »
I'm UP!

RE

Trying to get on, but no instructions.

WHD

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
I'm UP!

RE

Trying to get on, but no instructions.

WHD

Downloaded necessary stuff, nothing will load. Leaves me hanging in etherland.

WHD

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »
Collapse Cafe now open!

Enter HERE!

RE
Save As Many As You Can