AuthorTopic: The Questions to Life's Answers  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Questions to Life's Answers
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »
In order to avoid reading too much Barfield while I was up at Harbin, I picked up a couple of books from their bookstore. One of them was The Question to Life's Answers, by Steven Harrison.. It has given me some food for thought. I've been looking for a place to slip in a few quotes.

The self is constructed out of thoughts strung like beads on the string of time – a sense of past and future, memory, and anticipation. But thought, time, and self are entirely conceptual. We search for resolution within a conceptual world in which there is no actual resolution. There are just the concepts of searching and searcher, and the concept that the searcher finds meaning and purpose through searching.

This search is in vain. The searcher, which is the core sense of self, is both the problem we seek to solve and the problem that searches for the solution.This fundamental realization brings the spiritual life as we know it to a screeching halt. It is over. There is nothing to do because there is no doer. There is nothing to resolve, nothing to fill, nothing to fix.

But this is not the end; it is the beginning. Coming to the end of the spiritual search is the end of spirituality and the beginning of spirit-actuality. Spirit-actuality is not the expression of our need for something, the search for something, or the absence of something. It is the actuality of spirit, the articulation of what life brings to us, the exploration of unity, in which we are at once a part and the whole. The perspective has changed from the “me” looking for resolution to a “me” turned inside out and upside down – “we” – consciousness peering through the eyes of “me.”
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: The Questions to Life's Answers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
In order to avoid reading too much Barfield while I was up at Harbin, I picked up a couple of books from their bookstore. One of them was The Question to Life's Answers, by Steven Harrison..
"What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"  :icon_mrgreen:
"How many Vogons does it take to change a lightbulb?"   :spacecraft:
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....