AuthorTopic: Evolution of War  (Read 14700 times)

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution of War
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 04:29:33 AM »
You must have missed Panarchy & the One to the Many- The Final Countdown I published here on the Diner on October 13, 2012.  I reviewed Holling & Gundersun's theory in that article.

First time I came across it was on TAE in Nicole's article, Fractal Adaptive Cycles in Natural and Human Systems.

Speaking of whom, I'll finally be meeting in person tomorrow to reup on lecture DVDs for her American tour! I'm very interested to hear what she thinks about the [likely] government shutdown and its financial consequences.

Going back to Biblical times, it is pretty much impossible to know whether non-existent now groups like Hittites, Hamathites, Lehabim etc were assimilated or simply wiped out by conquerors

There are plenty of Biblical and non-Biblical reasons to think that the Canaanite populations were assimilated during Israel's conquest, one being that it wasn't long before the Israelites started worshiping their gods.

After 800BC, we know that Assyria and Babylon conquered the northern and southern kingdoms respectively and exiled many to their own capitals while populating the region with their people, but there was certainly an inter-mixing as well. The Jews as a people obviously survived these ordeals.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:32:08 AM by Ashvin »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 05:17:07 AM »
You must have missed Panarchy & the One to the Many- The Final Countdown I published here on the Diner on October 13, 2012.  I reviewed Holling & Gundersun's theory in that article.

First time I came across it was on TAE in Nicole's article, Fractal Adaptive Cycles in Natural and Human Systems.

Speaking of whom, I'll finally be meeting in person tomorrow to reup on lecture DVDs for her American tour! I'm very interested to hear what she thinks about the [likely] government shutdown and its financial consequences.

Nice to know you are still at least passingly interested in current economic consequences and not just the religious/philosophical implications as they apply to Christian Doctrine.  Sure would be nice if you occassionally wrote on these subjects again, as your perspectives as I recall were always quite unique and interesting to read.  You know of course I will always Publish said analysis on the Diner if you do it.

Quote from: RE
Going back to Biblical times, it is pretty much impossible to know whether non-existent now groups like Hittites, Hamathites, Lehabim etc were assimilated or simply wiped out by conquerors

Quote from: Ashvin
There are plenty of Biblical and non-Biblical reasons to think that the Canaanite populations were assimilated during Israel's conquest, one being that it wasn't long before the Israelites started worshiping their gods.

After 800BC, we know that Assyria and Babylon conquered the northern and southern kingdoms respectively and exiled many to their own capitals while populating the region with their people, but there was certainly an inter-mixing as well. The Jews as a people obviously survived these ordeals.

Well, you MIGHT be able to make some case for the Canaanites, harder though for those Less Mentioned Smaller Tribes like the Lehabim though.

Far as the Jews are concerned, yah they did manage to survive here through the Pogroms and the Holocaust too, but at quite a diminished overall population level.  In fact, they get relegated to the Category of "Others" in World Religions, along with Unitarians,  Druids, New Agers et al, for less than 13% of world population in TOTAL.  This result for God's "Chosen People":

Over the long term here, the Jews did not do well considering they started out as God's Chosen according to the Bible anyhow.  Not even making the Pie Chart by Name is a REAL rough outcome here over the time period.  Case can be made of course that a percentage of the surviving ones still run the Global Banking System.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:52 AM »
Nice to know you are still at least passingly interested in current economic consequences and not just the religious/philosophical implications as they apply to Christian Doctrine.  Sure would be nice if you occassionally wrote on these subjects again, as your perspectives as I recall were always quite unique and interesting to read.  You know of course I will always Publish said analysis on the Diner if you do it.

Thanks, but it's my analysis that has changed rather than my interest. I don't believe we can meaningfully analyze these economic developments without discussing their root spiritual causes.

Over the long term here, the Jews did not do well considering they started out as God's Chosen according to the Bible anyhow.  Not even making the Pie Chart by Name is a REAL rough outcome here over the time period.  Case can be made of course that a percentage of the surviving ones still run the Global Banking System.

RE

God's "chosen" was always and still remains on the basis of faith. Plenty of non-Jews were adopted into God's family before Christ, no racial or ethnic barriers to belief. So that big blue slice of 33.32% is more representative of True Israel.

Not all surviving Jews practice Judaism, though. There are Messianic Jews, atheistic Jews, etc. Hopefully more of the former than the latter.

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 07:01:18 AM »
Thanks, but it's my analysis that has changed rather than my interest. I don't believe we can meaningfully analyze these economic developments without discussing their root spiritual causes.

So why don't you talk about the latest economic developments and then relate them to root spiritual causes? Just today for example the British Chancellor George Osbourne has a plan that the long-term unemployed will have to work for free to claim jobseeker's benefit. What are the moral implications of such a policy coming to pass? This is but one of a million and one stories that could be written and transformed into a spiritual story. I would also say it would provide a compelling case for people to take these matters more seriously if they could make the connections between daily and spiritual matters more easily. These things may seem obvious to you Ashvin but most people lack the insight to connect the dots together. It would be a useful service if you had the time to do it.

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 09:21:14 AM »

So why don't you talk about the latest economic developments and then relate them to root spiritual causes? Just today for example the British Chancellor George Osbourne has a plan that the long-term unemployed will have to work for free to claim jobseeker's benefit. What are the moral implications of such a policy coming to pass? This is but one of a million and one stories that could be written and transformed into a spiritual story. I would also say it would provide a compelling case for people to take these matters more seriously if they could make the connections between daily and spiritual matters more easily. These things may seem obvious to you Ashvin but most people lack the insight to connect the dots together. It would be a useful service if you had the time to do it.

That's not what I meant. Daily economic/financial news shouldn't be analyzed with theology. There is no clear cut Biblical rubric for determining the morality of any given economic policy in the 21st century (and I think a lot of Christian pundits waste their time trying to find one). People who try to spiritualize every little piece of news are cheapening the news and the spirituality.

But when we're talking about big picture issues (like the history and fate of human society), as most collapse blogs tend to focus on, then I think it makes little sense to ignore metaphysics and theology. I started writing about some of that stuff on Picturing Christ, but then came the Bar and now I'm more focused on other stuff, like finding a steady (yet ethical) paycheck and a good Church.

I'm comfortable with my very limited role in the blogosphere now... i.e. commenting on threads that happen to pop up under "spirituality & mysticism", or threads derived from those.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »
Daily economic/financial news shouldn't be analyzed with theology.

Quote from: Zig Ziglar
“For over 30 years I've read an average of three hours a day: read my Bible every day, read the newspaper every day–that way I'd know what both sides were up to.”
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....