AuthorTopic: Conspiracy  (Read 5012 times)

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »

It still bothers me today that most parents bribe their kids to support or at least ignore the lies they see through, with Santa being only the most obvious example.  Remove just this, and a good deal of the control and war propaganda would collapse in a generation.

Here's my unpleasant "bribery" experience from 40 years ago:

I grew up catholic.  I started to tune out when Confirmation was forced on me when I was about fourteen.  I asked my mom "Why do I have to do this? - I'm not old enough to know this is the religion I want to 'comfirm' to.  I haven't lived long enough to make this decision." She gave me some BS answer and threatened to cut off my access to playing golf - "No rides to or from the club unless you do this".  So I did it.  But it was more of a ceremony for parents to get their kids dressed up for some pics...oh yeah, and another opportunity for the passing around of the donation plate.

Before this, I was an altar boy. I kind of liked this - got to ring the bell in front of the congregation and be "noticed".  The priest during this period of time was pretty cool.  Everybody knew he was banging MILFs from the congregation left and right.  He eventually left the  priesthood and got married.

I suppose it's more like a threat...but it still qualifies as a bribe in my book.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:05:50 PM by JoeP »
just my straight shooting honest opinion

nobody

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »
Hey Joe.
Yeah.  But what about Christmas? 
I came from the Catholic thing too.  I remember Catholic school; very young, I'd look and look at that habit the nuns wore, and wonder and wonder who thought of that.  It was plastic; plastic around the face, neck, forehead.. and how did that black shroud stay on?
Have you "confirmed" to anything yet?  I remember that awful command too. 

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 05:14:17 AM »
I used to luv pretending to talk to santa on the phone, encourage the kids to put snacks out for santa, planting easter eggs in the garden, dissapearing and coming back dressed as  semi drunk, dancing santa at xmas parties. When the girls were about 9 and 10 they said on xmas eve they didnt believe in santa, so I asked my next door neighbor to go into his backyard next to their room and say loudly "HO, HO HO!"

As for as my own disillusionment, it started very young. I must have been 7 or so when I was told to change my drawing and colouring in so the water was blue not brown. Most water you see is brown or green I said. The river ther city was built on was certainly brown or green, never blue. I refused to change the colour of the water and changed the sky from blue to grey to make it more obvious why the water should be brown. Most other times I really didnt know why I was in trouble.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

nobody

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 05:51:51 AM »
RE  "Santa was taken out by an undercover NSA Elf Firing from the Snowy Knoll on 9-11.  The North Pole Toy Factory collapsed on its own Footprint with traces of Thermite left behind in the Snow.  Halliburton was contracted to do the cleanup, and Walmart has been contracted to replace Santa delivering Toys every Christmas to Boys & Girls around the world who not been Naughty."

I think it's time to be naughty.

UB "Most other times I really didnt know why I was in trouble."

So you're swimming around in this misfit soup too?
I'd appreciate any sense you might have about my classification.  I've never been tested in any way because I was a great people-pleaser from very young, but I've always thought there was something wrong with my thinking.  (Don't anyone hurt themselves laughing)

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
Hey Joe.
Yeah.  But what about Christmas? 

Hi Nobody,

Always a pleasure to have you drop in The Diner.  :icon_sunny:

Christmas? Santa? I think the following from Carol Jean-Swanson’s Mothering sums up how I feel about Santa:
“Our jolly old Saint Nicholas reflects our culture to a T, for he is fanciful, exuberant, bountiful, over-weight, and highly commercial. He also mirrors some of our highest ideals: childhood purity and innocence, selfless giving, unfaltering love, justice, and mercy. (What child has ever received a coal for Christmas?) The problem is that, in the process, he has become burdened with some of society's greatest challenges: materialism, corporate greed, and domination by the media. Here, Santa carries more in his baggage than toys alone!”

Beyond that, I really feel sorry for parents that feel the same way I do as an adult.  I did not have any children (that weren’t promptly aborted), so I never had to confront what it would be like to try to explain to a child the truth about Xmas.  I can remember getting hyped up about Xmas when I was very young…mostly excited about the toys on the way.  I remember Santa delivering a T-Rex skeleton model to me one year.  It was made of Styrofoam pieces and after assembled, it was taller than I was and it had a mechanism to move it’s jaw up and down.  Terrifying!   :new_shocked:  I loved showing it to my friends.  I couldn’t imagine having a conversation with my parents back then about how Xmas was tied to materialism and corporate greed.

I found out fairly early that Santa was not “real”.  I’m the youngest of seven children…so eventually I was gonna eavesdrop a conversation that would give it away.  But it actually didn’t happen that way.  One of my sisters told me straight up.  The next year, a few weeks before Xmas, she said “Hey Joe…ya wanna know what Santa’s bringing you this year?  Well, it’s all in the trunk of Mom’s car…the car keys are on the end table and she walked over to the Evans house to visit with Carol. I think you can figure it out from here.”

I believe I brought up the non-reality of Santa once with my Mom around this time.  She said something like “Well if Santa isn’t real, I guess he won’t be bringing you anything this year.”  I shut the fuck up about Santa after that brief conversation.

Santa & Xmas have their flaws, but Valentine’s Day is the worst and stupidest "holiday" IMO.  Don’t get me started on this.

I came from the Catholic thing too.  I remember Catholic school; very young, I'd look and look at that habit the nuns wore, and wonder and wonder who thought of that.  It was plastic; plastic around the face, neck, forehead.. and how did that black shroud stay on?
Have you "confirmed" to anything yet?  I remember that awful command too.

If you’re talking about confirming to a religion – No, I haven’t.  According to wikipedia, there are 25 religions that make up the “largest” and “medium-sized” religions in the world….and lord knows how many smaller-sizes ones there are?  I don’t think I’m smart enough to pick the RIGHT one to cling to...so I’m not gonna try.

I’ll say I’ve “confirmed” to a simple precept – Try to be a good person.   :icon_sunny:

Let’s say there is a “higher being” and he/she just does not understand humans and their need to have all these different religions…and it pisses off the HB (higher being) because it has resulted in so much conflict and so many wars.  Do you think the HB might just have a tainted opinion of anyone that overzealously practices and sells any of these religions?  And let’s just suppose the HB doesn’t appreciate humans spending so much time pondering the afterlife…because we’re supposed to spend our time on Earth simply living our mortal lives?   And let’s say………
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:44:10 PM by JoeP »
just my straight shooting honest opinion

nobody

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
JoeP"I think the following from Carol Jean-Swanson’s Mothering sums up how I feel about Santa:
“Our jolly old Saint Nicholas reflects our culture to a T, for he is fanciful, exuberant, bountiful, over-weight, and highly commercial. He also mirrors some of our highest ideals: childhood purity and innocence, selfless giving, unfaltering love, justice, and mercy. (What child has ever received a coal for Christmas?) The problem is that, in the process, he has become burdened with some of society's greatest challenges: materialism, corporate greed, and domination by the media. Here, Santa carries more in his baggage than toys alone!”

That's very good.  That about covers it.
You're the youngest of 7, I'm the oldest.  You do remind me of my youngest brother a bit.. he was the smartest of us all; smarter even than his older brother who now runs the IT dept for one of the algorythmic traders.  God help us, and he's the kindest, most humble and generous soul alive.. just using his brains to support his family and friends (voted for Bush twice but I swear, if you met him, you'd like him).   I digress, your TRex was great; wish I could got hold of one of those.

"I couldn’t imagine having a conversation with my parents back then about how Xmas was tied to materialism and corporate greed...I believe I brought up the non-reality of Santa once with my Mom around this time.  She said something like “Well if Santa isn’t real, I guess he won’t be bringing you anything this year.”  I shut the fuck up about Santa after that brief conversation."

I don't blame you.

"If you’re talking about confirming to a religion – No, I haven’t.  According to wikipedia, there are 25 religions that make up the “largest” and “medium-sized” religions in the world….and lord knows how many smaller-sizes ones there are?  I don’t think I’m smart enough to pick the RIGHT one to cling to...so I’m not gonna try."

No, I wasn't talking about confirming to a religion, you've got Ash for that; of course I meant confirming to a precept.

"Let’s say there is a “higher being” ...And let’s just suppose the HB doesn’t appreciate humans spending so much time pondering the afterlife…because we’re supposed to spend our time on Earth simply living our mortal lives?"

Go get em Joe.

"Santa & Xmas have their flaws, but Valentine’s Day is the worst and stupidest "holiday" IMO.  Don’t get me started on this."

You can't stop now.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »
I’ll say I’ve “confirmed” to a simple precept – Try to be a good person.   :icon_sunny:
Just to let you know, in the Bible this is referred to as being "God-fearing"... and you know what it has to say about that?  "The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of knowledge; But the foolish despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7 (ASV)  So, yeah... that's a good start.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....