AuthorTopic: Hmmmm... A Lefty Changes His Opinion? - Karl Denninger  (Read 6015 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Hmmmm... A Lefty Changes His Opinion? - Karl Denninger
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »
Capitalists are the ones who destroyed the planet, raping it for personal profit.  Putting them in charge of fixing it up is like putting a Fox in charge of the Hen House.

Their concern about the environment leaves much to be desired, no doubt about that. Most other political and economic systems have been no slouches when it comes to damaging the planet either, so it is something they don't have a monopoly on.

Capitalists just did Destruction bigger and better and faster than Communists.  China had decent air quality under Mao.  Soon as Dung Chow Ping turned China Capitalist after Nixon's Ping Pong trip, down the toilet they went.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
Our friend won't engage you on JHK, but I will. But not much to say-- I agree with your assessment.
Make it a point to visit Kunstler.com and prowl around-- he put in a hell of a garden, and there are pictures. It reminds me of somethiing one of us-- roamer? said earlier, about isolated doomsteads set up by well off boomers.

Yes Surly, His site is on my check often list. His artworks are quite good to, he is a very interesting person. I have listened to most of his podcasts, they are splendid.

He has been on hiatus for about a month with no new items. He said he was forced to stop for a while because he has to meet a publisher's deadline for his latest book. He sure is a productive person at age 65 with a ton of recent medical problems to deal with as well. Can hardly wait for his next podcast.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 05:26:25 PM by Golden Oxen »

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »
Capitalists just did Destruction bigger and better and faster than Communists.  China had decent air quality under Mao.  Soon as Dung Chow Ping turned China Capitalist after Nixon's Ping Pong trip, down the toilet they went.

RE

You are the undisputed master of oversimplification.

You could condense the Bible into one paragraph without much effort.  ::)

Thanks for the two sentence History of China. I like my info concise and to the point with all the extraneous nonsense filtered out. :emthup:

Shame you weren't a scribe. Could have learned the entire history of mankind on two pieces of parchment if you were performing such work in  a monastery.  ::)

Offline Snowleopard

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »
To return to the OP for a moment......

Ps: If we won't cut that crap out (and we damn well should) the least we can do is actually recognize and fully support the 2nd Amendment for everyone, without turning it into a permission slip so that those in the minority community who are targeted by government programs for death at least have the option and ability to defend themselves.  You can't argue that you believe in equal rights for all if you do not also fully support every individual's right to self-defense, irrespective of who or where they might be.

I agree that the original reason for limiting weapons and instituting "permission slips" was to deny minorities, immigrants and the poor their rights to self defence. 

Do you actually have a constitutional right to bear arms if you require permission (a permit, usually limited) to carry a personal weapon in any place at any time?  By applying for a permit, aren't you agreeing you need permission?

At the time of the American Revolution the right to self defence was not in question.  "Arms", at the time of the amendment, most clearly meant "the weapons of warfare" and was not limited to personal weapons.  The reason being that in a true emergency a temporary army could be raised with volunteers from the people (not just citizens), with their own weapons, and without a need for a standing army.  Other intents were to make unnecessary wars difficult to wage, and keep the repository of force with the people.   

Can't have that now can we??
"A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest." -  Simon and Garfunkel

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »

You are the undisputed master of oversimplification.

I like to think of it as eliminating the distractions.  :icon_sunny:  In any event, it is a valid observation.  Air Quality in China WAS better under Communism than it is now under Capitalism.

RE
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:39:01 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline illdill

• Bussing Staff
  • Future Reference Farm
    • View Profile
    • Future Reference Farm
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 11:40:03 PM »
Kunstler is one of my favorite writers. I've heard people badmouth his fiction, but I enjoy it, and his last non-fiction book, which I read, is very good too. A wordsmith par excellence.

My own political toilet training is pretty close to his. I didn't start out as a libertarian.

My son says Kunstler and I even look alike, regardless of our slightly difference ethnic heritage.

I generally like Denninger, but I've only been reading him since coming here. That last piece, though,I tell ya he was channeling Jim Q.

Yes, I enjoy Kunstlers style as well, but I would stick to his regular musings rather than his fiction, it is not that great. I read World Made By Hand and was not that impressed. It was realistic for the most part regarding how it might be in the future after collapse, but not very gripping. But again, that is just my opinion.

If you want to read about our multi-tiered crisis, I would recommend Richard Heinberg, Michael Ruppert, Dmitry Orlov, Gail Tverberg, Ugo Bardi, Guy McPherson, etc. As for Fiction, I don't read it much so I can't give a very informed opinion, but I did give James Kunstler a chance just because I like his Non-Fiction stuff.

And I might as well get this out of the way. I am an Atheist so was turned off by the frequent religious references and characters in his World Made By Hand book.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:16:21 AM by illdill »
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - jiddu krishnamurti