AuthorTopic: Cell Phones - A Preppers Guide  (Read 9144 times)

Offline illdill

• Bussing Staff
  • Future Reference Farm
    • View Profile
    • Future Reference Farm
Re: Cell Phones - A Preppers Guide
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 07:00:27 AM »
illdill

Thanks so much for the informative article. I know very little about cell phones. I bought a wifi capable phone years ago before they became mainstream, found out I hated the small screen and had to put my glasses on to type, etc., so I went back to a no frills model, which I seem to use less and less as I get older.

I do use my laptop to access the internet, of course, and I have an older 3G phone modem I use when I'm mobile. Can you explain the security consequences of having a 3G or 4G phone modem turned on?

And welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome.

Coming from the perspective of someone in a SHTF scenario with a hostile government on the hunt, using all of the technology at their disposal to find you, you would be located for sure if you used that modem. However...  If you wanted to go all tech crazy, you could theoretically create a new hardware identinty for your device each time you connected and never connected from the same location.

In some situations, technology becomes a liablity. (No irony lost there)

But as far as an ad hoc or distributed peer to peer type of thing, assuming your identity and location are not security issues, your device would most likely be compatible. In order to facilitate growing demand for unique internet identifiers a new networking protocal (IPv6) was developed and implemented several years ago and most devices are now capable of utilizing it. It won't be going away before collapse.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - jiddu krishnamurti

Offline illdill

• Bussing Staff
  • Future Reference Farm
    • View Profile
    • Future Reference Farm
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 07:03:07 AM »
No way to make the device invisible at all?
Oh no, all you need to do is put it in a Faraday cage... then it will be incapable of receiving radio signals... or being affected by nuclear EMP blasts or solar flares.  Taking out the battery, however, won't cut it.

I should have made clear, the technology isn't that they can track you, it's that they can detect a device capable of receiving a radio signal: cell phone, MP3 radio, GPS, walkie-talkie, laptop with wireless, even a TV with a remote control.  Like I said, in a crowded city, it's pretty worthless, but in an uninhabited wilderness, it can pinpoint where someone with modern technology is.  If they happen to know you are in that wilderness and you're the one they're looking for, then you're toast.

Can you provide a link to any sourced information regarding this capability?
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - jiddu krishnamurti

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 07:06:38 AM »
So, let me see if I understand.

Is any cell phone or radio wireless device inside a Faraday cage invisible to tracking?  I know that makes them unable to use.

And along that vein...is a steel shipping container that has adequate insulation on its inner surface a good Faraday cage?

I know about the trash can approach. I have intended to build one of those, but have not yet done so.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Snowleopard

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 07:27:04 AM »
Can you explain the security consequences of having a 3G or 4G phone modem turned on?
Let me answer a different question... if you have any device capable of receiving a radio signal, EVEN IF IT IS TURNED OFF, the US military can get a fix on your position (in a remote location, not in a crowded city) and send in a Predator drone missile.  This is why Bin Ladin resorted to using human couriers after 9/11.

I know it is possible to locate any device actually transmitting, though i'd have difficulty finding microwatt transmitters in some circumstances.  Many devices can be triggered to respond, but shielded devices without power??  Do you know how this is done??  Is there a way to tell if a location is being "scanned"?

What about older equipment?  ie. tube type shortwave ham gear used to receive only?
"A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest." -  Simon and Garfunkel

nobody

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »
"It really is amazing how much knowledge has been lost regarding sustainable agriculture, home remedies and the like since our species began to stray into the techno domain and away from our life giving mother."

Yes welcome, you have a very sweet style here.
It's been very difficult for many of us to make it back to where we strayed from (or were driven from) -even though I think many of us have wanted to stray back all our lives.  I'm stymied that we can communicate like this; so intensely and effectively just at the last.. and beyond? -if we can apply enough ingenuity.
Don't forget telepathy.  Let's not sell ourselves short.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 08:19:08 AM »
Can you provide a link to any sourced information regarding this capability?

Unfortunately I can't; it was an in-depth audio interview, I'm not sure whether it was a podcast or a radio broadcast, but I definitely don't have the source now and am getting too much noise doing a Google search.

I know it is possible to locate any device actually transmitting, though i'd have difficulty finding microwatt transmitters in some circumstances.  Many devices can be triggered to respond, but shielded devices without power??  Do you know how this is done??  Is there a way to tell if a location is being "scanned"?

What about older equipment?  ie. tube type shortwave ham gear used to receive only?

It's *basically* a form of radar.  It can tell when radio frequencies are being absorbed in a narrow band.  Shielded devices could conceivably fool the system.  I'm fairly confident that a radar detector could be modified to tell if a location is being scanned, however, such a device would of course be detected itself.  Still, it could be useful in setting up an alarm system.

Is any cell phone or radio wireless device inside a Faraday cage invisible to tracking?  I know that makes them unable to use.

And along that vein...is a steel shipping container that has adequate insulation on its inner surface a good Faraday cage?

I know about the trash can approach. I have intended to build one of those, but have not yet done so.
Yes, the radio device inside the Faraday cage is invisible to tracking.  The Faraday cage itself, however, is an even larger and more visible target.

The key to a good Faraday cage is a solid metal container that is adequately grounded with no holes large enough for the electromagnetic waves to get through.  And, anything inside the Faraday cage that you want protected should be electrically insulated from it.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 02:49:47 AM »
welcome to DD illdill, I hope you are neither ill nor a dill, and thanks for the reference net farm, I will certainly check it out.

1 If you stay off the internet or at least dont visit pot dom ter sites, your govt wont identify you as already worthy of attention from wherever you are typing from via keyword or site listing. (Tor routing browsing is no protection) That way you can leave your phone switched on like everyone else  because you are just like everyone else unworthy of a prodromal strike. I choose to stand up and be counted here, even if that means taking one for the team.

2 If a cellphone is really good to get hold of others in a hurry it is less so switched off.

3 Even if you can type a whole lot or app a whole lot on your smartphone. Its all lost in 5-7 yrs if you dont accidentally bust a touchscreen earlier. Books and paper notes are forever, fires notwithstanding. Scavenge pens from empty offices stationary cupboards, if you dare. Or back to bark and pigment and ever embellished oral legends. Gather round folks, Bob the Brave fired fireballs from his butt...

4 Iphones are a scourge. Apart from half the people texting while driving, and a generation fully fixated on them, there is a next generation experiencing sensory deprivation thanks to mothers too engrossed on twitter to attend to children. Good riddance when theyre gone.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME