AuthorTopic: A Good Introduction to Doom  (Read 2385 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
A Good Introduction to Doom
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:44:16 AM »
I came across an interesting rant that seems to pretty well summarize what we talk about here at the Doomstead Diner:

Rant Focusing on Energy and the Future (explicit language warning)
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A Good Introduction to Doom
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »
 Peak pffft, I filled up on last week and used just over half my fuel, and the vehicle is still running pretty much as it was before the peak. It LOOKS the same too far as I can tell. So why dont you get off that bike and get back in a Chevy Canyonero.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »
I came across an interesting rant that seems to pretty well summarize what we talk about here at the Doomstead Diner:

While the gent was sincere and there was some truth in his remarks it appeared to be a sub par presentation. It was too general and not well prepared in my view. Just my two cents.

Perma culture is no doubt a valuable worthwhile pursuit for some, But the idea of the entire world's populace building their own garden as a way out of the problems that are facing us on the political, economic and energy front just appear ludicrous to me.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:33:39 AM »
Perma culture is no doubt a valuable worthwhile pursuit for some, But the idea of the entire world's populace building their own garden as a way out of the problems that are facing us on the political, economic and energy front just appear ludicrous to me.
Of course, it's ridiculous to expect 90% of the current world's population to become permaculturalists... but I think it is quite probable that 90% of the SURVIVORS will be...
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:09:59 AM »
Of course, it's ridiculous to expect 90% of the current world's population to become permaculturalists... but I think it is quite probable that 90% of the SURVIVORS will be...

Much more probable, although you are more optimistic than me, my number would be considerably lower, but you make a valid point JD.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »

!00% of the survivors will be permaculturists. Whether they understand the term or not.

I enjoyed the rant. Yeah, the guy is not as informative as he might be, but he's getting out an important message. More power to him. I applaud his efforts. I think the rant is a sign that he really cares about the people he's trying to reach.

I've never been on a mission to save the world by talking about the problems. They're too immediate and scary, and I want to put most of my energy into my own preps. I just write about it to try to show the way by example. But I think the world could be radically changed if every house in America suddenly turned their yards into food forests and kitchen gardens. The more people posting rants like this on social media sites, the better.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »
Nice to see you making sense King,

and I believe the utube was illdill? The kids hes trying to reach will listen to a younger guy with longhair and tattoos on youtube a lot more than an uptight old stiff like moi. Like eddie, I never was trying to save everyone and Im treated like a nut every time I talk doom, but  I really feel for the agegroup hes reaching out to. They didnt create this clusterfuck. Good for him.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
MKing,
Don't get how the economic woes, and continued geopolitical conflicts, and general rise of societal tensions are not indicators of a society that has reached peak net per capita oil production.   The available net margin of energy is falling on a per capita basis, and it places tension on the whole system in non linear ways.   I'm not in the loop on popular analysis but i still think the housing crash was triggered by this decrease in net margin per capita (and yes it should never have been blown in the first place, but the irony is that those cheap loans were given out because there was nut uber cheap energy available at the time to cheaply expand the system, so instead it was done with credit that was never going to be paid).  Also everywhere we look, food, transport, standards of living ect are all declining and to me a sign we are past peak net oil per capita.