AuthorTopic: A Lucid Walkabout  (Read 3387 times)

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
A Lucid Walkabout
« on: November 13, 2013, 04:26:05 PM »
My wife's 33 birthday is tomorrow, the 14th of November.  This has been the year of three for us.  We'll be 33 together for approximately 2 months before I turn 34.  It's a small window for a world of threes. 

Anyways...her birthday wish was for us to go internet silent for a week.  And I've got permaculture holes to dig this week as well, up the mountain, in Asheville NC.  I'm working for a colleague of mine whom has his own "ecological design" landscaping business.  It's 15 per hour, cash, for six days or so.  I get paid to dig holes...and for those of you who don't know, I consider digging permaculture holes to be my purpose...so gettin' paid to dig them makes me pretty damn happy.

It should be good experience for me, and the cash certainly helps keep food on the table. 

The timing sucks, I know.  With the SUN about to launch.  It is what it is. 

See yall in a week.   :pirate2:

:thefinger:

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A Lucid Walkabout
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
It should be good experience for me, and the cash certainly helps keep food on the table.

Take care Lucid, Keeping food on the table for your lovely family is Job # 1. See you in a week :emthup:

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »

Take care Lucid, Keeping food on the table for your lovely family is Job # 1. See you in a week :emthup:

I'll be around tonight...cause it starts on GM's birthday per her wishes.  So if a ridiculous conversation were to erupt here...I'd likely take part tonight.  I'm just drinkin' New Belgium's Rampant tonight...

thinkin' about what the hell ima do about the likely doom filled future.  Doom with optimism is what the SUN's motto should be. 

The art of preachin' optimistic doom that's non-preachy in nature :icon_mrgreen:

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »

I'll be around tonight...cause it starts on GM's birthday per her wishes.  So if a ridiculous conversation were to erupt here...I'd likely take part tonight.  I'm just drinkin' New Belgium's Rampant tonight...

thinkin' about what the hell ima do about the likely doom filled future.  Doom with optimism is what the SUN's motto should be. 

The art of preachin' optimistic doom that's non-preachy in nature :icon_mrgreen:

Try to get your post on the SUN up on the SUN website before the clock turns over.  I trust you are allowed to talk on the phone over the week?  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »

Try to get your post on the SUN up on the SUN website before the clock turns over.  I trust you are allowed to talk on the phone over the week?  :icon_mrgreen:

RE

Yep, just no internet.  Of course, there is a clause that excludes email due to time sensitive business we are just now dealing with.  Our rental house burned to the ground last Sunday.  I haven't said anything about it yet, because it all hinges on us not getting fucked by insurance. 

If the truth be told, GM and I are about to come out smellin' like a really good turd financially.  We were looking at financial ruin...and then our house burned down.  We had to go see it on Sunday, cause we just couldn't believe it.  Like when a family member whom you really loved dies.  You have to see them dead to break that delusion that maybe they aren't dead. 

It was one hell of a fire I'm sure.  I found it very ironic, looking at maybe 20% of the house that was left, maybe 5% of the roof remaining...I brought Zen home from the hospital to that house...but the irony was, I was standing next to the fire pit I dug six years ago in the yard, a two foot deep hole, five foot in diameter, encircled by a foot of rock, and I'm looking at the house that was literally gone.  Smelling the burnt fire.  The fire suppression report said they used 25,000 gallons of water puttin' that bitch out!!!  An entire battalion participated in putting it out. 

I was standing next to a hole in the ground.  A hole that I dug and burned hundreds of fires in.  I burned a recliner once in that pit, a couch...shit I had no business burning.  We burned our christmas tree once, completely erect, and the flame was probably 30 feet in the air.  The fire pit's probably 15 feet from the house. 

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »
LD and GM,
Hope the internet fast is treating you both well, speaking from experience internet fasting can be a much needed reset every now and then.  Crazy to hear about the house fire, glad to hear no one was in it, hopefully you didn't lose anything too important. 

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »
LD and GM,
Hope the internet fast is treating you both well, speaking from experience internet fasting can be a much needed reset every now and then.  Crazy to hear about the house fire, glad to hear no one was in it, hopefully you didn't lose anything too important.

Well I'm cheating on that internet fast :laugh:

GM took Zen to the Renaissance festival and left Tribann and I at home (cause I don't do lots of people well...it wears me the fuck out). 

Anyways, the fast is mostly for GM.  I deleted my FB page a couple of years ago and it was a revolutionary act. 

And anyways GM's not here to stop me ;D

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »
Uh Oh! Hope shes not up to the same.

If you like pina coladas, makin lurv in the rain
Im not much into yoga, I am in to champagne
: Artist unknown, apt though.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »

I texted GM and told her about my plans...I knew I could get away with it...and I was correct cause she was not mad about it.  But she made the statement a couple of days ago that it was really about her stepping back from FB and not so much my actions. 

Although I agree with the internet fast when we are together as a family.  I could have spent my free time today reading a book, but I missed yall and much preferred spending it here. 

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss. Fortunately no one was hurt and hopefully insurance will cover the damage caused by the fire and not weasel out of paying. Take it easy and hope things get better it doesn't seem to be a great month for the Diners around here.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 02:30:06 AM »

FWIW, the song "Escape" written and sung by Rupert Holmes, wrongly attributed all through the Intertoobz to Jimmy Buffett.
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2896

Rupert Holmes has written several Broadway plays, including Say Goodnight, Gracie and The Mystery Of Edwin Drood. He has written songs that have been performed by Barbra Streisand, Judy Collins, and Britney Spears. He created a television series called Remember WENN and wrote a novel called Where The Truth Lies. His works have won Tonys, Emmys, and Edgars. Despite all this, he is best known for this song. Says Rupert, "I have a feeling that if I saved an entire orphanage from a fire and carried the last child out on my shoulders, as I stood there charred and smoking, they'd say, 'Aren't you the guy who wrote The Pina Colada Song?' It's tough when you have this one thing that pulls focus from all these other things that you've done, yet every songwriter lives to have a song that most everybody knows."

Hadn't heard this in a loooong time so I looked it up.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound