AuthorTopic: The Many Faces of Denial  (Read 13308 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Many Faces of Denial --glazed over were their eyes
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »
And as to not "discuss[ing] my beliefs with anyone, other than with my fellow doomers," boy do I get that. Aside from Contrary, who really gets it (and, BTW is one of those people who helps with community gardens...), discussing these topics generally results in blank stares, subject changing, or small circles made at the temples.

Why do their eyes glaze over?

That is the question.  :emthup: :emthup: :emthup:

The usual suspects: denial, incomprehension, distraction. Normalcy bias. Hell, I get it. I like my life the way it is. Only difference is,I know it won't last, and is coming to a rapid and precipitous end.

Most folks won't even entertain the premise.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Many Faces of Denial
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »
No it most certainly is not polite acceptable conversation. I would venture I have it worse, one because I am outgoing and outspoken so cant help myself, and two because while there is such a thing as many people preparing over there, here there is nothing and noone. The nearest thing is computer geeks talking about a zombie apocalypse game, or a fancy dress party with that theme. A couple of times after chatting with people and then saying time to go, junior has said "I think he thought about what you were saying",
Oh, why?
He stopped talking.

I have always been "expansive" too to use a technical term, but have given up the idea good guys win and leaders come forward come the calling. Now I just believe in being the change you want to see, so dont think about making only a drop of difference in a polluted warmed overfished ocean.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME