AuthorTopic: Record Oil Glut!  (Read 32662 times)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Record Oil Glut!
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »
A collection of DEEP and CONSCIENTIOUS OPINION CARTOONS by friends of MKing and Snowleopard    

Snowleopards' FAVORITE!

MKing asures us there is  "Nothing to see here, just move along"  :evil4:

Remember that LAST PANEL when they tell you to stop using electricity OR that you CAN'T SUE Fossil fuel Corporations for environmental damage.   

If the Fossil Nukers HAD THEIR WAY...

Thanks so much agb, I needed that good laugh. Sometimes I question the amount of time I put into banging my head on the wall.  :emthup:
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »
I am wondering why Surly and SL suggest that the science is influenced by the funding sources, yet trust the accuracy of the above graphs tracking temperatures.

I assume the graphs are corect because in my undertanding of the debate, no one is questioning whether the eaarth is warming or not. And it seems that ocean temperatures are the most reliable indicator. What it seems that people want to worry about, and where the effects of dollars is so pernicious, the the extent to which the burning of fossil fuels is a factor.

Petrochemicals are such an incredible resource that it seems really stupid to burn them. It's the atmospheric equivalent of using your back yard as your latrine.

Im also wondering about the specifics of these massive funding sources on both sides of the debate and their interests.

The enviros will point the finger at the extractors, and the extractors will point the finger at the government.
Who can say? All I kow is, I learned thirty yeaers ago that if you want the truth, follow the money. Certainly corporate interests are far more astute in covering their tracks these days, laundering their efforts through middlemen, foundations, shell companies, etc....
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »
Surly said, if you want the truth, follow the money. Certainly corporate interests are far more astute in covering their tracks these days, laundering their efforts through middlemen, foundations, shell companies, etc....

YEP!

And speaking of MONEY and the habit of some (allegedly green) large corporations of putting money in GW denial organizations while pushing a certain amount of renewable energy in what APPEARS to be schizophrenic behavior but is ACTUALLY a TAX and REGULATION avoidance strategy, see what GOOGLE is doing with some money...

Why is Google Funding ALEC?

SustainableBusiness.com News

Petitions with 230,000 signatures have been delivered to Google asking the company to stop supporting ALEC, which it joined this year just as 60 other corporations cut their ties with the right-wing extremist organization.

Google is a bright light in the corporate world taking strong advocacy positions on climate change and renewable energy and walking the talk on those positions by investing heavily in the field - some $1 billion since 2010. It's an innovator on energy efficient data centers, uses green building practices extensively, serves organic food in its cafeterias, all of which is actively opposed by these organizations.

This year, Google tied for first place for leading the tech industry on addressing climate change. 

So it crushes our trust when they simultaneously fund a slew of organizations - ALEC is one of many - that are working relentlessly to prevent action on climate change and obliterate the renewable energy industry.

In its blog, Google says, "Why are we making these investments? It's simple: we believe in a clean energy future, and we think that companies like ours can help make it happen," says Kojo Ako-Asare, head of corporate finance for Google. "We invest in these projects because they make business sense, because they help put more renewable energy on the grid and because they have a positive impact on the local economies where they operate." ::)

Google has extensively mapped a changing planet to bring peoples' attention to climate change: 

Google time lapse

"Google should Google ALEC's agenda. Funding right-wing extremists at ALEC is a guaranteed way for Google to undermine its own admirable clean energy goals. It's like building a new house only to set it on fire after defunding the fire department," says Michael Brune, Executive Director of Sierra Club.

"Google's support for ALEC is part of a disturbing embrace of the climate denial machine by a company that professes to fight global warming," says Brad Johnson at Forecast the Facts. "It may be time to pronounce Google's famous 'Don't Be Evil' motto dead."

Next year, ALEC has its sights on killing state Renewable Portfolio Standards, state net-metering laws, the Northeast cap-and-trade program (RGGI), and federal level restrictions on power plant emissions.

Who's Who List of Right-Wingers

Google financially supports the who's who list of right wingers from infamous climate denier Senator Jim Inhofe (R-OK) to the Competitive Enterprise Institute.

This year, organizations that received “substantial” funding from Google for the first time include Grover Norquist's Americans for Tax Reform, the Federalist Society, the American Conservative Union (best known for its CPAC conference), and Heritage Action - the political arm of the Heritage Foundation that led the charge to shut down the government over the Affordable Care Act.

All these groups are heavily supported by the Koch Brothers.

Google's PAC, called Google Inc. Net PAC, contributed to Ted Cruz's Senate campaign and already contributed to his next senate race even though it's five years from now.

Agelbert  Note: And HERE is where following the MONEY LEADS TO: 

As for why it supports Grover Norquist's "no taxes ever" pledge, to "shrink government to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub," that's pretty clear: Google creatively shields some $2 billion a year from global taxes, reports Bloomberg. and is holding $33 billion offshore to avoid US taxes.

The company even sponsored a recent fundraiser for the Federalist Society, a network of right-wing judges and lawyers that includes Supreme Court Justices Samuel Alito :emthdown:, John Roberts, :emthdown: Antonin Scalia  :emthdown: and Clarence Thomas.  :emthdown:

Justice Thomas was the guest of honor at that event, for which Google was listed as a top-tier “gold” sponsor. Google names the Federalist Society on its list of groups receiving its most substantial grants in 2013, reports the Center for Media & Democracy.

Sure, Google would say it also funds progressive groups and after all, it's just looking after its business interests. But "there really aren't two proportionate sides to the facts about the climate changes that are underway, as to whether working people should be paid a living wage, and whether corporations should have to pay taxes just like working people do. By funding extreme groups on the right under the guise of a false equivalency, Google is enabling groups that seek to undermine government," counters Lisa Graves, Executive Director of Center for Media & Democracy.

"Political spending for corporations is purely transactional. It is all about getting policies that maximize profitability, so even ostensibly hip companies like Google invariably spend lavishly to support groups and politicians that pursue decidedly anti-democratic policy outcomes. It is why sane democracies strictly regulate or even prohibit such spending, regarding it accurately as a cancer for democratic governance.",  notes Bob McChesney co-founder of the media reform group Free Press and author of How Capitalism is Turning the Internet Against Democracy.

Read more:

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/25385?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SBGeneralNews+%28SustainableBusiness.com+General+News%29

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »
A collection of DEEP and CONSCIENTIOUS OPINION CARTOONS by friends of MKing and Snowleopard.

Nice cartoons Agelbert!

Certainly when you cannot escape the logic of the deficiency of your position it is best to revert to cartoons. Distraction from the obvious is required, but please, don't let me stop you from continuing to use fossil fuels to your benefit while demanding all others stop, it is the American way!!

MKing,

Don't let a few cartoons stand in the way of you demanding the rest of us return to 1750 while you encourage people to BURN that fossil fuel.

It is what you do with it, i.e. we are using the infrastructure to encourage re-thinking about the infrastructure. You are using the infrastructure to glorify TPTB, status quo BAU, cornucopian fuck the planet, rapacious bastards make the world go 'round.  :icon_mrgreen:

WHD

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »
Brought to you by MKing Propaganda Catapulters Association of Predatory Rapacious Greedballs: :evil4: ALL TOGETHER NOW! WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
MKing,

Don't let a few cartoons stand in the way of you demanding the rest of us return to 1750 while you encourage people to BURN that fossil fuel.

You still are having a trouble with that reading comprehension WHD, I'm not only acknowledging that oil is obsolete, advocate folks not wasting it for nonsense like personal transport, or wasting fossil fuels in general, but I certainly use all the information I am aware of to encourage folks to follow such examples instead of burning the stuff.

Go find some other poster to lie about in your need to find a straw man.

Quote from: WHD
It is what you do with it, i.e. we are using the infrastructure to encourage re-thinking about the infrastructure. You are using the infrastructure to glorify TPTB, status quo BAU, cornucopian fuck the planet, rapacious bastards make the world go 'round.  :icon_mrgreen:

WHD

Boy, you really can't read at all, can you?

The whole of you argument can be summed up as:

MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE, EVERYTHING IS FINE
If you actually did encourage people to burn less fossil fuel, by example, sorting out examples, SHOWING examples, I wouldn't have to translate fro you.  :icon_mrgreen:  Fact is, yours is a constant drumbeat of support for all things polluting and mean. Ever seeking the lowest logic denominator and repeating it ad nauseum.

WHD

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
Boy, you really can't read at all, can you?

The whole of you argument can be summed up as:

MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE, EVERYTHING IS FINE

Really? See, that reading thing keeps getting in the way. Using less through rational commuting decisions is not "nothing to see", it accepts that doing stupid things with crude oil, like random personal transport should be stopped. You think encouraging the limiting of fossil fuel use for the one thing Americans do more of with it than anything else is BAU? Then you really are dumber than you appear.

You think talking up the kind of renewables I use to partially power my house and car is BAU? Huh. You think advocating folks live near work to limit their use of liquid fuels is BAU? Imagine that.

You can't stand a word I say exactly because you CAN'T honestly say what you just did, and it pisses you off to no end that I won't be a standard idiot suburban target, instead using the advantages of suburbia in a fuel challenged environment to the advantage of arguing for more suburbia, and this disturbs the Amish wanna-be position, doesn't it? Too bad.

If you actually did encourage people to burn less fossil fuel, by example, sorting out examples, SHOWING examples, I wouldn't have to translate fro you.

Only a moron or a liar says they are "translating" when you post the nonsense you do. Amusingly, it doesn't matter to me which one you are, but dammit man, do you have to be so predictable?

LOL. Renewables? Like what, that Lithium battery fuelled by fracking, you use to get around? Got renewable photo-voltaics, do ya?

Predictable is you claiming an asteroid wiping out humanity is more likely than an oil company polluting (either the biosphere or CONgress).  :icon_mrgreen:

Amish? Your comprehension of who I am is considerably less accurate than my assessment of your shilling for fossil fuel extractors and bomb droppers.  :emthup:

Not trying to FORCE anything on anyone btw. More like, get people talking.  :o

WHD

Offline Snowleopard

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »

A collection of DEEP and CONSCIENTIOUS OPINION CARTOONS by friends of MKing and Snowleopard.

Frozen nation: At least 11 dead as cold, ice and snow grip US

The Santa Clara County, Calif., Sheriff's Office said hypothermia — an extremely low body temperature — had killed three people since frigid conditions rolled in late Wednesday

Winter storm heads east after walloping West

"What's happening across most of the country is we're getting a very early taste of winter," Mike Muscher, a National Weather Service meteorologist, told Reuters. "This is something you'd typically see in January or February."

Jordan, Montana, set a record-low temperature for Dec. 7 - 42 degrees below zero.

"A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest." -  Simon and Garfunkel

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »
LOL. Renewables? Like what, that Lithium battery fuelled by fracking, you use to get around? Got renewable photo-voltaics, do ya?

I use natural gas fired electricity just like you do. And built from petrochemicals computers as well. And solar power. That you may or may not use. And you are just cheesed that I do these things and don't buy into a worldview only built around a near delusional perspective of reality.

Not trying to FORCE anything on anyone btw. More like, get people talking.  :o

WHD

Good thing I do that as well then. Been amazed at the reception to the car from folks on the few occasions when it shows up at an extortion store. Where I then advocate everyone else not using gasoline as well. Feel free to keep burning liquid fuels WHD, but it is really so….20th century….

Mr EVolved.  :icon_mrgreen:

WHD

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »
WTF going back to the start of this thread MKing made a bunch of false and ignorant dismals on the relevance of net energy and EROEI.  Now all those posts are gone.  It pisses me off because i am now aware of a proven methodology for calculating EROEI in the economy and i could really call his BS but his comments have been deleted.

You can see a string of my early responses to his nonsense starting with this one, but his BS is not there anymore.

Doesn't at all dissprove peak oil that we have a temporary glut on supply.  Net energy yields are the real variable to track, that we can produce more gross amounts doesnt mean shit if net energy yield per barrell is continually declining.  There was enough surplus capital available for low net energy to be pulled from the ground, but there is not enough consumer capital for it all to be spent, and the reason for that is that net energy per capita is in deep decline and that means surplus wealth is in decline.  So the system will surge and pulse and just cause we got a short term glut does not at all mean we got long term energy growth, its just noise in a system of large scale temporal patterns, general trend of per capita energy decline availability remains.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »
WTF going back to the start of this thread MKing made a bunch of false and ignorant dismals on the relevance of net energy and EROEI.  Now all those posts are gone.  It pisses me off because i am now aware of a proven methodology for calculating EROEI in the economy and i could really call his BS but his comments have been deleted.

You can see a string of my early responses to his nonsense starting with this one, but his BS is not there anymore.

One of the downsides of allowing members to edit and modify their posts is that they can later go back and change what they wrote or entirely delete it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2014, 05:26:28 PM »
The search function hasnt worked properly in ages either to remind anyone what they said before.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Record Oil Glut! - MKing deleting his posts!
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2014, 09:14:28 PM »

Doesn't at all dissprove peak oil that we have a temporary glut on supply.  Net energy yields are the real variable to track, that we can produce more gross amounts doesnt mean shit if net energy yield per barrell is continually declining.  There was enough surplus capital available for low net energy to be pulled from the ground, but there is not enough consumer capital for it all to be spent, and the reason for that is that net energy per capita is in deep decline and that means surplus wealth is in decline.  So the system will surge and pulse and just cause we got a short term glut does not at all mean we got long term energy growth, its just noise in a system of large scale temporal patterns, general trend of per capita energy decline availability remains.

Hmmmm? I wonder what would make Mr Oil Expert go back through his posts and delete the record of what he has said here? I thought everything he has said here about oil and gas was the Truth (with a capital T). LOL  :icon_mrgreen:

WHD
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:20:15 PM by WHD »

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: MKingate
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2014, 02:56:20 AM »

Hmmmm? I wonder what would make Mr Oil Expert go back through his posts and delete the record of what he has said here? I thought everything he has said here about oil and gas was the Truth (with a capital T). LOL  :icon_mrgreen:

WHD

THe senate committee on energy etc evidence
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: MKingate
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2014, 03:19:16 AM »

WHD

THe senate committee on energy etc evidence

Definitely a lot of Fuzzy Accounting going on in the Fracking Industry.  Check out the new Frackonomics articles and papers now up on the Doomstead Diner!

RE
Save As Many As You Can