AuthorTopic: DD Favorite Photograph Album  (Read 221450 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: DD Favorite Worthy of Recognition Photograph Album
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 06:49:48 AM »
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 07:04:18 AM »
Surly that photo of the brutal head shooting is considered  one of the world's most famous and influential photographs.

Many claimed it got to the conscience of the civilized world and did much to spark the war resistance movement.

A deeply moving and most disturbing disgraceful moment, captured for eternity with a camera and amazing photographer who knew how to portray the evil and shame of war with a single picture.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »

Eddie Adams.

Damn.  Feels like I need to find an image that ain't so doom.

But that photo definitely rages volumes about the heart of darkness. 

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Half of these b/w stills were perfectly predictable. I knew going leaving at night with the naked napalm girl the next day the summarily executed vc would await me. Thread devolution into detached desensitization from a far removed position of priviedge was always going to happen. Seen em before. Its not 1930 or 1970 but while we wait for collapse to not come around fast enough we need our marlboro men. These are the doomers james deans in full getup loungeroom wall framed prints, half burnt smoke on the lip isnt slow cook cancer but leave a beautiful corpse cool.

So if we cant get enough of sadness here and now, bring back ethiopia 84 and dachaushwitz 45, tut tut and tsk tsk with a napkin on your tent pitching lap to catch the drool. Coke adds life posters for the others and Cokebottlenecks posters for our perfection pleasure. Voyueristic morbid fascination.

So for the slideshow music shall we have highbrow opera or orchestra? Crime scene stills to the walk of the baby elephant by mancini is what you end up with.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 03:54:22 PM »
Could you predict this on UB?  From the camera of Robert Capa.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »
Could you predict this on UB?  From the camera of Robert Capa.

RE

No never saw it before, I had a feeling the cliche naked running girl was coming then following that the 45 to the temple, from before embedded journos and sanitised newz. Thats not the point, pun not inteded, the point is I like getting a good laugh, the lighter side of doom at the same time as keeping up with whats happening, not this. Whats wrong with some inspiring or personal album faves? I can kick off...
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
No never saw it before, I had a feeling the cliche naked running girl was coming then following that the 45 to the temple, from before embedded journos and sanitised newz. Thats not the point, pun not inteded, the point is I like getting a good laugh, the lighter side of doom at the same time as keeping up with whats happening, not this. Whats wrong with some inspiring or personal album faves? I can kick off...

Bob Capa was an amazing photographer who chronicled WWII.  He was a phenomenally courageous man, he was at many of the biggest battles of that War. Lucky too, he lived through it.  His Normandy landing photos are iconographic.  Many folks do not know of his work these days.  Here's one from London when Werner von Braun's V-2 Rockets were flying in:

Sadly of course, many if not most of great photojournalism imagery centers around War & Disaster, rather than more upbeat topics. However, for balance purposes, here is one from Ansel Adams

Even this though is touched with sadness, because so much of it is now gone.

RE
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:38:00 AM by WHD »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 04:33:05 AM »
Your point about Robert Capa is well made. I don't think people really appreciate what war photographers went through prior to becoming "embedded" and thus sanitized and neutralized.

Edward Weston could make a nude look like a landscape, or a landscape or pepper look like a nude. A great force in 20th century photography, and a personal inspiration since I was young.

Have had a print of this with me since my 30s--

"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 06:22:47 AM »
Who has any poetry in motion, majesty of movement natgeo style shots? Like a prancing pony, pouncing puma, springing stag, ayrton senna exiting an apex, usain bolt at full pace, bruce lee mid move, the type where the subject is so fast the background is blurred. I love those pictures of perfect poise.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:44 AM »
From today's Diner News Facebook feed:
A pianist plays 'Imagine' on the anniversary of John Lennon's death in front of Ukranian riot police on Sunday.

Photo: Nastya Stanko

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 09:27:34 AM »
Who has any poetry in motion, majesty of movement natgeo style shots? Like a prancing pony, pouncing puma, springing stag, ayrton senna exiting an apex, usain bolt at full pace, bruce lee mid move, the type where the subject is so fast the background is blurred. I love those pictures of perfect poise.

Here you go--

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 11:19:14 AM »

Even this though is touched with sadness, because so much of it is now gone.

RE

If that's the Yellowstone river, most of them forests are corn fields now.

WHD
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:20:57 AM by WHD »

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »

:emthup: :emthup: :emthup: