AuthorTopic: Twenty Good Reasons that Alan Should be More Worried  (Read 4116 times)

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Twenty Good Reasons that Alan Should be More Worried
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »
1. Complete corporate control of US Executive and Legislative branches of government.

2. Terrible wealth inequality that's getting worse

3. 17.25 Trillion US deficit

4. 1.5 Trillion spent on undeclared foreign wars since 2001

5. Unstable fiat currencies worldwide that constantly threaten deflationary and inflationary crises

6. Depleted soils in all major agricultural regions of the US

7. Rapidly dwindling aquifers throughout  the American West

8. GMO corn

9. Glyophosphates

10. Student Debt Bubble

11. Derivative bubble (bigger than ever))

12. Real Estate bubble (still going strong in many regional markets)

13. Unresolved European debt crisis

14. Out of control invasion of US citizens' privacy by our government.

15. Loss of Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms

16. New sources of pollution from fracking and tar sands extraction

17. Concentration of all media outlets into a few powerful hands

18. Climate change

19. Loss of 150-200 species per day of plants and animals

20. Militarization of US Police Forces

I could probably list a good many more. The thing is, that everything is NOT going to be fine. I'm willing to hope for the best, but if anybody thinks we aren't in a world of shit, they are kidding themselves. All the above, taken together, constitute good reason to be a doomer.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty Good Reasons that Alan Should be More Worried
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
The fact that most don't know, or if they do, care in the least about Doc's list is a very important factor in my being a Doomer.

The everything is peaches and cream, and your an ass hole worried about nothing crowd are most terrifying to me.

Offline impermanence

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
To me, the collapse has already taken place [over the past 100 years].  Whatever happens from this point on might be catastrophic, but this is unlikely.  Even if the entire system goes under, it will only be massive fraud and worthless money/assets which are flushed down the crapper.  Real wealth remains. 

Cutting back the old and allowing for new growth is EXACTLY what is needed.

The fun is in not knowing which is going to be. :)   Regardless, transcend fear and enjoy life.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »
To me, the collapse has already taken place [over the past 100 years].  Whatever happens from this point on might be catastrophic, but this is unlikely.  Even if the entire system goes under, it will only be massive fraud and worthless money/assets which are flushed down the crapper.  Real wealth remains. 

Cutting back the old and allowing for new growth is EXACTLY what is needed.

The fun is in not knowing which is going to be. :)   Regardless, transcend fear and enjoy life.

I like stability and a secure feeling about the future. Could never get any fun out not knowing or having a good idea of the immediate future. I am in constant dread about it and wish I could adopt your attitude.

Like they say, "To Each His Own"

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
The fact that most don't know, or if they do, care in the least about Doc's list is a very important factor in my being a Doomer.

The everything is peaches and cream, and your an ass hole worried about nothing crowd are most terrifying to me.

With good reason, IMO.

Even paranoids have enemies...
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
Don't know about you, but I don't look forward to my worthless money assets being flushed. I worked too damn hard for them.

I don't consider that I'm coming from a place of fear. More like a place of clarity that facilitates good planning.

In my personal case I have truly lived the American Dream, far more than most in my generation. My life has been good and is good. No disaster could rob me of my great life. Too much of it has already gone by.

I consider that I face a worthy challenge, and have a chance to do important  things that might never be possible in a BAU scenario. It may be part of fulfilling my dharma,

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
1. Complete corporate control of US Executive and Legislative branches of government.

2. Terrible wealth inequality that's getting worse

3. 17.25 Trillion US deficit

4. 1.5 Trillion spent on undeclared foreign wars since 2001

5. Unstable fiat currencies worldwide that constantly threaten deflationary and inflationary crises

6. Depleted soils in all major agricultural regions of the US

7. Rapidly dwindling aquifers throughout  the American West

8. GMO corn

9. Glyophosphates

10. Student Debt Bubble

11. Derivative bubble (bigger than ever))

12. Real Estate bubble (still going strong in many regional markets)

13. Unresolved European debt crisis

14. Out of control invasion of US citizens' privacy by our government.

15. Loss of Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms

16. New sources of pollution from fracking and tar sands extraction

17. Concentration of all media outlets into a few powerful hands

18. Climate change

19. Loss of 150-200 species per day of plants and animals

20. Militarization of US Police Forces

I could probably list a good many more. The thing is, that everything is NOT going to be fine. I'm willing to hope for the best, but if anybody thinks we aren't in a world of shit, they are kidding themselves. All the above, taken together, constitute good reason to be a doomer.

Absolutely, eschatology-proneness notwithstanding.

May I add a couple to your list?

21. China making military noises on the Japanese frontier.

22. NSA running Adm. Poindexter's "Total Information Awareness" program with impunity

23. Dissent equals terrorism, thus criminalizing popular resistance to unpopular policies

24. Ocean acidification

25. Creeping privatization of the "public sector" enabling corporate profiteering

26. Perpetrators of gigantic financial fraud beyond reach of rule of law

27. Resurgent racism and xenophobia among some elements
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline impermanence

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »
Don't know about you, but I don't look forward to my worthless money assets being flushed. I worked too damn hard for them.

I don't consider that I'm coming from a place of fear. More like a place of clarity that facilitates good planning.

In my personal case I have truly lived the American Dream, far more than most in my generation. My life has been good and is good. No disaster could rob me of my great life. Too much of it has already gone by.

I consider that I face a worthy challenge, and have a chance to do important  things that might never be possible in a BAU scenario. It may be part of fulfilling my dharma,

Good for you!  I, too, have been among the fortunate, but not so much anymore.  Regardless, I hear that fighting against the karma of our species is even more perplexing that fighting against the FED!

And I agree with you, keeping as clear as possible is the best defense against every damn thing.  I'm just saying that we should try to enjoy each moment because who knows what's coming and when? 

Enjoyment can include the preparation to whatever level you feel necessary, after all, what's more reassuring that the illusion of security [just kidding :]?

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »
HTF could you leave this one out?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »
after all, what's more reassuring that the illusion of security

Maybe the illusion of irresistible sexual magnetism?

Hey, I know security is an illusion. Good food though? If there's no famine it still tastes better than store-bought. You can eat, or give it away. It's called creating a surplus.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »
HTF could you leave this one out?

RE

I'm pretty sure i already learned from Alan that it "isn't an ELE." I bet there's fish who'd dispute that.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 05:26:08 PM »

Thats probably not radiation, but the tsunami shockwave translated into a wave, that some japanese surfer could have rode to argentina.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline impermanence

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 05:55:47 PM »
after all, what's more reassuring that the illusion of security

Maybe the illusion of irresistible sexual magnetism?

Hey, I know security is an illusion. Good food though? If there's no famine it still tastes better than store-bought. You can eat, or give it away. It's called creating a surplus.

Regardless of what's coming our way, being independent is a wonderful thing!  Again, having followed this meltdown pretty closely since the late 70's, I just don't see another Dark Ages on the horizon, but, you never know.  There are millions of good people in this country who are sick and tired of this bullshit, and I believe you will see an amazing recovery after a short period of ??  I do not believe that the American Spirit is dead...yet. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 09:06:28 PM »

Thats probably not radiation, but the tsunami shockwave translated into a wave, that some japanese surfer could have rode to argentina.

I assume this comment is meant as sarcasm.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
Regardless of what's coming our way, being independent is a wonderful thing!  Again, having followed this meltdown pretty closely since the late 70's, I just don't see another Dark Ages on the horizon, but, you never know.  There are millions of good people in this country who are sick and tired of this bullshit, and I believe you will see an amazing recovery after a short period of ??  I do not believe that the American Spirit is dead...yet.

That's for sure Imp, Certainly hope you are correct.

RE posted a short video a while back about a gent and his wife operating out of a tent showing all sorts of creative ideas and methods of what had to be done in Alaska.

The gents enthusiasm and constructive attitude filled me with hope for our future. It was just an infectious attitude of constructive thinking that inspired me. Never give up hope, there are a lot of constructive extremely bright people out there.

Having said that your short period of ?? still fills me with fear and dread and depression.  :-\