AuthorTopic: New Years Message  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
New Years Message
« on: December 31, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
I didnt write this, but may as well have because it sums it up. For every stupid fucking text message that comes in from people who have me on some stupid list not even mentioning us by name wishing a  :emthdown:HAPPY :exp-angry: new year, I send back this timely reminder and link, so WTF do you have to party on about?

Its a little long but worth reading right
through.
http://survivalacres.com/blog/time-cry/#more-6397
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Years Message
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:24:56 PM »
Yeah, pretty sobering.  As a father of four pretty good people, it is the thought that they won't get the chance to experience the kind of life that I have, or see their own children become adults, or have any kind of future to look forward to, that bothers me the most.

As I've said before, I think all thinking, sapient people who are AWAKE are already grieving. Some of us just don't believe in quitting. You do what you can with what you have to work with.

All indications are that this will be a difficult New Year, and not only that, but every succeeding New Year will probably be significantly worse, for reasons we here are all very aware. That's a prospect I wasn't brought up to deal with.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
Yeah, that IS worth reading alright.  Thanks Bob. 

I wonder if the following quote takes our "hero" into consideration?

The current best estimates of a major methane release in the Arctic with a global mean average temperature increase of 8C leading to the major extinction of all life on Earth is 2050, with a range of 2042 to 2050.

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Years Message - Tardigrade or Walter Matheau?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 05:05:39 PM »
Yeah, that IS worth reading alright.  Thanks Bob. 

I wonder if the following quote takes our "hero" into consideration?

The current best estimates of a major methane release in the Arctic with a global mean average temperature increase of 8C leading to the major extinction of all life on Earth is 2050, with a range of 2042 to 2050.

Walter Matheau returns:

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
Some of us just don't believe in quitting. You do what you can with what you have to work with.

It's at least possible that Light is wrong.  I'd have to see more evidence, from more sources -- especially some atmospheric methane measurements over a very broad area -- before throwing in the towel.

As with folks like Guy McPherson... He's an extreme outlier in the climate science world (He's an ecologist).

One thing is apparent, however. Even if we were all heading toward near-term extinction, it'll never say so on the top of the front page of the NYT.  And if it did, everyone would think it was April 1st. They'd be running home to look at their calendar page. I tell you.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »
I don't pretend to have a crystal ball that tells the future. The most depressing thing is that absolutely nothing is happening right now to make anything better instead of worse. We are driving off a cliff with the pedal to the metal.

That makes it easy to understand that some kind of Seneca Effect is likely.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
 A Student Writes….Global Extinction Within One Lifetime?

Michael Brown

The Ecologist - 16th July, 2012

http://www.theecologist.org/blogs_and_comments/commentators/other_comments/1487008/a_student_writesglobal_extinction_within_one_lifetime.html

From Resilience.org:

Game over? Or overtime?
by Albert Bates, originally published by The Great Change  | Sep 4, 2012

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2012-09-04/game-over-or-overtime

My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 12:28:39 PM »
Albert's words I respect, but I don't find much reassurance, what with 50 gigatons of methane possibly set to be released at any time, doubling the current CO2 levels, which are already steadily climbing past levels long thought to be capable of causing lethal warming.

The other article doesn't have much substance.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
The most depressing thing is that absolutely nothing is happening right now to make anything better instead of worse.

Well, that's not entirely true. Lots of stuff is being attempted and worked on.... There just hasn't been any real advancement in terms of anthropogenic greenhouse gases. (They're continuing to increase, though the rate of increase is slowing a little.)

In my opinion, much of the effort and energy and expense directed toward environmental / ecological problems is somewhat misdirected, since I don't think we have much reason to believe government/s are likely to change course or lead the way.... So I think "environmentalism" should redirect energy toward social change outside of politics as usual, or politics as we know it, or politics per se.  We should focus on creating viable, workable and desirable routes for "drop outs" from "the system" ("normal" -- energy intensive -- lifeways in the overdeveloped world).  What good does it do to blockade pipelines, for example, if we don't provide people with a real and desirable lifeway option that doesn't depend on pipelines? (e.g., KXL)

Usually I get dismissed as a "dreamer" when I talk like this. But who are the "dreamers," the ones who think government will finally somehow take the lead and make the changes? The ones who will do battle with the pipeline while driving an SUV to the pipeline?

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
I'm sorry, I think the whole "extinction of life on Earth from global warming" is complete bullshit.  It has been a lot warmer on the planet in past, including large releases of methane hydrates, without killing off ALL life.  A majority of species, perhaps, but stuff still survived.  I am so not concerned about that.

The history of civilizations, however, is much bleaker.  So many have collapsed right after they reached their peak.  Humans are quite adaptable and I think some would survive a climate catastrophe, but agriculture might not and with it all the progress that has happened in the past 10,000 years could easily be erased.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 06:25:04 AM »
I'm sorry, I think the whole "extinction of life on Earth from global warming" is complete bullshit.  It has been a lot warmer on the planet in past, including large releases of methane hydrates, without killing off ALL life.

200 species a day going into extinction right now. Here and now, every day that rolls. I see that number quoted all the time anyway. Is that in error?

And whether all species are wiped out, no i doubt that will happen. But I think we have the makings of an extinction event for Homo sap. Or one more very potent disruptor of the good life, anyway. At best.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 06:46:30 AM »
I'm sorry, I think the whole "extinction of life on Earth from global warming" is complete bullshit.  It has been a lot warmer on the planet in past, including large releases of methane hydrates, without killing off ALL life.

200 species a day going into extinction right now. Here and now, every day that rolls. I see that number quoted all the time anyway. Is that in error?

And whether all species are wiped out, no i doubt that will happen. But I think we have the makings of an extinction event for Homo sap. Or one more very potent disruptor of the good life, anyway. At best.

I see both sides of this one, I think.  JD'S point about Humans being shown to be Adaptable is the strong point of his argument in my view.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 06:49:40 AM »
I'm adapting as fast as I can.   ;D

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 06:58:37 AM »
I'm adapting as fast as I can.   ;D

Your efforts are admirable Doc. Hope you realize my dismissal of the viability of your plan  is just an opinion; it does not negate my positive opinion of folks like yourself who are trying to do something constructive.  :emthup:

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 07:16:58 AM »
Yes, we're idiots, but we're well meaning idiots. (Just kiddin' and no offense taken whatsoever.)

I just think it would be very cool to be out standing in my field as an old man. Growing a big food surplus and living on a permed out homestead. Not a doomstead, just a homestead.

BC2K is my hero. He's doing it already...but just not in Texas.