AuthorTopic: The Future  (Read 16934 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 05:00:02 PM »
It's admitting I don't know.

Channeling Imp?

Now I am worried.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »
welcome to the Diner JRM.   :hi:

I like how you write, what you've said so far (that I've read) and your attitude.  Optimist that are reality based are awesome IMO.  Being reality based and optimistic is nearly a paradox.  I'm an optimistic pessimist at best, and that's only because I have two kids and have to be.  What good is a depressed pile of worthless goo gonna be for his children and wife?  So I try my damn hardest to remain as optimistic as reality will permit.  Again, this is no mean feat when we have things like entire nuclear power cores that have gone missing (well, we know they descended into the Earth, and that steam is coming up from the ground where they were), and in a world where "radiation clouds" are not science fiction. 

I've turned my back on the Matrix.  I and my family are hiding in plain sight, and we are attempting to move even further into the margins...where people talk about the reality that's generated via engagement with the natural world rather than electronic screens.  So many of us are trying to figure this shit out without having a sense of direction.  It's like we're submerged in water and it's dark, and nothing can be felt. 

I've been making it up as I go along, muddling along, since I resigned from the Matrix.  It appears to be working for my family.  But then I was able to identify the glitch when it happened, and I jumped on the opportunity to remove myself and family.  It remains precarious out there with no medical insurance or pay check (I refuse to punch a clock for meaninglessness). 

In the real world we struggle.  Now there is no shortage of real world depression to deal with.  Because we are trashing the only home we have in this infinite expanse of space.  I'm sure there are other planets out there that could support life, but we'll likely never know now that we've used up half of the petroleum energy. 

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
Channeling Imp?

That's worse than calling the Diner a gay bar. My feelings are hurt.

No, I just was trying to clarify whether I truly am an uber doomer. Logically it makes the most sense to me...but I could easily see Doom Lite going on until the food chain finally breaks down, maybe fifty more years...

And full doom could happen during that span, as institutions break down and energy shortages occur.

We may have ALL those, right here in the FSofA, as time unfolds.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
I also agree with UB that there exists no will, political or otherwise, to slow down the slow motion train wreck  that is already quite well underway. Too much institutional madness in this world.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »
Channeling Imp?

So, for the record, I said "it would be like going to a gay bar to hook up with a heterosexual."  Now, this is an analogy...a metaphor, or simile...I can't remember...but what I know is that it works.  But then I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to sit in a gay bar and have a good time (I've done it before...my wife was in theater in college...she's got gay friends). 

No, I just was trying to clarify whether I truly am an uber doomer. Logically it makes the most sense to me...but I could easily see Doom Lite going on until the food chain finally breaks down, maybe fifty more years...

And full doom could happen during that span, as institutions break down and energy shortages occur.

How's that saying go?  "It's a recession when your neighbor is laid off, and a depression when you lose yours."  I think that is appropriate here.  Unless you do what I did...quit your job before you get laid off because you've identified a glitch in the Matrix. 

I think knowing that anything is possible is enough reason to be optimistic.  I think JRM might agree with that. 

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »
Channeling Imp?

I agree with you Eddie. NOBODY really knows...well, maybe nobody - she's pretty sharp.  :icon_mrgreen:

I don't think even the Bilderbergers know, but I suppose when they gather amongst themselves, it's just in their genes to exhibit the utmost confidence they DO know.
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »
So, for the record, I said "it would be like going to a gay bar to hook up with a heterosexual."  Now, this is an analogy...a metaphor, or simile...I can't remember...but what I know is that it works.  But then I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to sit in a gay bar and have a good time (I've done it before...my wife was in theater in college...she's got gay friends). 

It was actually I who insinuated that the Diner COULD be a gay bar because there's never any women at the counter when i come in, but I was just kiddin'.

And I've known lots of gay people and been in lots of gay bars. I have no problem with gays, but when I was young I used to get hit on and it made me uncomfortable. I'm too much of an obvious bad-ass now to have to worry about stuff like that.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »
I'm too much of an obvious bad-ass now to have to worry about stuff like that.

That's funny.  I feel like a bad-ass now when I'm wearing my cowboy boots.  They've got heels on them that are close to 2 inches.  I'm 6'4 already.  But when I put them on they fit like a glove and it felt good to walk in them.  But I thought to myself just before I settled on them, "what business do you have buying shoes that make you 2 inches taller when you're already always the tallest in the room." 

I just smiled to myself and bought them. 

You can't not feel like a bad-ass when you're wearing cowboy boots.  They're just strong footwear.  I'll likely never go back to pre-cowboy boot life.  I like feeling like a bad-ass in this world full of iphone zombies.  I make sure to walk around with my head up to.  Walking with your head down is asking to be depressed, but I think most people do that. 

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »
Tony Lama deerskins are better than a concealed carry license for mojo.

Just like a beat-up pick-up truck and a baseball cap in the South are better than camo in the jungle.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »

That's funny.  I feel like a bad-ass now when I'm wearing my cowboy boots.  They've got heels on them that are close to 2 inches.  I'm 6'4 already.  But when I put them on they fit like a glove and it felt good to walk in them.  But I thought to myself just before I settled on them, "what business do you have buying shoes that make you 2 inches taller when you're already always the tallest in the room."

Dad of one of the kids on my team is 6'10".  So if I get him involved, you won't be tallest. LOL. Sadly for her, she will not last long as a gymnast if dad's genes kick in here sometime around puberty.

I think if you are outside the Matrix and have an Iconographic mindset, you find a "look" an outfit which suits you.

My "look" is the Indiana Jones thing,with the Leather Fedora, Hunting Vests, and Leather Jackets and so forth.

I'm not tall, I'm small and proud of it.  In the old days before the PAD kicked in, I was one of the most agile people you could ever find. Did you read my story about the time I slid out on my motorcycle on the Park Drive in NY Shity?  No tall person could have done what I did to come through that one alive.  Ya just cannot manipulate around a large body so fast, it's physics. That is why gymnasts are always small people.

Anyhow, you play to your strengths, and you find a "look" that fits those strengths.  It is Iconography, and there is nothing wrong with this.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »
I'd be 6' even if I didn't have a few compressed discs, LOL. I have a brother who is 6'6", but he takes after my Dad's side of the family. I am fine boned in comparison to them.

But it isn't just size. I cut on people for a living, while they're awake. If you can do that, and you're any good at it, it confers badass-ness eventually. In the same way working the meat wagon does.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 06:34:25 PM »
But it isn't just size. I cut on people for a living, while they're awake. If you can do that, and you're any good at it, it confers badass-ness eventually. In the same way working the meat wagon does.

Indeed, you get Bad-Ass Points for doing stuff like yanking teeth from poor souls with a Toothache, no doubt there.  Sir Laurence Olivier was a SERIOUS Badass.

Do you notice Sir Laurence was BALD in this photo?  I worry about BALD Dentists! LOL.

You also get Bad Ass points for being gutsy enough to pitch yourself over a bar or throw a double back.

Jonathan Horton at the 2008 Olympics

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/k0P6y5BphtE?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/k0P6y5BphtE?feature=player_detailpage</a>

I've met Jonathan several times.  I am taller than he is by more than LD is taller than me.  That is one small guy.  Bad Ass for sure though.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
Baldness = testosterone+sebum = badass
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »
I can't resist....  :evil4:
Little Shop of Horrors - Dentist Song

I hope you're laughing, Eddie... if not, I apologize.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 09:29:28 PM »
I'm very familiar with that song. Jazz singer daughter performed in that musical a few years back.

I relate more to Doc Holliday, the consumptive alcoholic who was buddies with the Earps. Hence the cowboy boots. I'm not a Holliday, but they are cousins. Really.