AuthorTopic: The Future  (Read 16615 times)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »

I doubt I'll ever fly again, and haven't in decades (with an s).  If the publisher insists I promote the book by "doing signings" (and readings) I'll offer to read in a few cities and towns along a rail route.

Theres walking the talk, respect sir.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »

Like Steal This Book. You probably aren't old enough to remember that one.

I'm old enough to have seen it in a few used book stores over the years!

Here's a title for you.: http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Roll-Me-Up-Smoke-When-Die/?isbn=9780062193643
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »
Willie wrote a song to go with that little tome, and I recently heard him perform it at his 80th birthday party.

2013 was a year for anniversaries. For me, forty years since I went to my first Willie Nelson picnic, and forty years  since my first ZZ Top concert.(Same event). I saw both of them again in 2013, and I'm surprised at how well all of us have held up, considering....LOL.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »
I think knowing that anything is possible is enough reason to be optimistic.  I think JRM might agree with that.

hmm...

op·ti·mism
[op-tuh-miz-uhm]
noun

1.  a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2.  the belief that good ultimately predominates over evil in the world.

3.  the belief that goodness pervades reality.

4.  the doctrine that the existing world is the best of all possible worlds.

1. Nope. I certainly don't expect the most favorable outcome! I just try to remain open to the possibility and to serve that possibility when and where I can.

2. Wouldn't that be nice to believe! I don't believe it. But I try to help it be so where and when I can.

3. Goodness does pervade reality, but not necessarily as abstracted from badness.  (The classical Taoists say these two arise together. Makes sense.)

4. It's the only world nearby where I can breathe the air and not freeze or cook.  :P -- Other worlds which might possibly support my biology are at distances measured in light years away.  :(
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2014, 09:11:36 AM »
While I'm not an optimist, by most dictionary definitions, I do believe positive social change is possible and worthy of investing one's time and other resources into. In these very cynical times, I guess that makes me some kind of "optimist".