AuthorTopic: The Sound of One Hand Clapping  (Read 34378 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Sound of One Hand Clapping
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2014, 05:42:19 AM »
As  a courtesy to you and the great majority of diner's who adhere to your philosophy, I will keep my negative views on the matter as subdued as possible to comply with your request.                           

Subduing your Negativity is a start, but how about getting POSITIVE with CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS?  Besides piling up Gold Bricks in the Basement Safe.  We already got that one.

RE

I thought I had offered the opinion that the internet might offer and avenue for us to send out the message of Alarm Grave Danger Around The Corner, with some real creative thinking.

I offered the miracle of all us Diners meeting and becoming intimate friends and able to discuss so much together as proof of the positive capability of the medium. Often I read of a tweet or a short video going VIRAL as the internet geeks call it and receiving millions of hits. Why couldn't a combined effort by some of our Big Brain Diner members do something similar, or try it at least. We might be able to start a message of Wake Up with the youth of the world that spreads into a major movement to avert the path we are on.

Sure, I am a realist RE, lottery ticket odds for sure, but we sure have some brilliant members that could give it a shot. Let me also be clear that I know I do not have the smarts for such an endeavor, I just honestly think that saving a few people with a community in the woods is not going to accomplish anything and is a defeatist fatalist attitude.

Perhaps if we start a thread is Doomsday Inevitable and are there possible solutions we are overlooking might yield some much better ideas than mine for exploring?

As to your negative remark about the gold bricks in my basement, I have tried many times to explain to you that they are not my protection from Doomsday, but protection from the inflation I feel is quite likely to continue destroying the value of the currency forced upon me by law. They and silver have served me quite well in that regards, remember, I became a doomster 50 years ago.

The only protection from Doomsday is a joint effort to prevent it in my view.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2014, 06:02:19 AM »
I'm not sure why the kinds of strategies you're suggesting haven't been more successful, GO. There SHOULD be 100X more people here every day kicking around the kind of stuff you're describing. Yet it hasn't quite gotten there, at least not yet.

My gut tells me that it's because most people feel powerless and afraid, and don't want to look at reality head-on.

And for those who do, there is real fear of being known. I think many, if not most real preppers are fairly paranoid, perhaps for good reason, but nonetheless hesitant to share information or anything else.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2014, 06:08:41 AM »

That is precisely what we are engaged in here GO.  A JOINT EFFORT.

However, you stand apart from it, you do NOT JOIN and more than that you deprecate the efforts we make all the time.  You constantly make negative commentary, and never propose better solutions beyond piling up the Gold.

Negative Waves from you, always.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2014, 06:11:25 AM »
I'm not sure why the kinds of strategies you're suggesting haven't been more successful, GO. There SHOULD be 100X more people here every day kicking around the kind of stuff you're describing. Yet it hasn't quite gotten there, at least not yet.

My gut tells me that it's because most people feel powerless and afraid, and don't want to look at reality head-on.

And for those who do, there is real fear of being known. I think many, if not most real preppers are fairly paranoid, perhaps for good reason, but nonetheless hesitant to share information or anything else.

True Doc, that is why I try to target youth in my spoutings. There is something special about the young. Hope, Idealism, Comradery with other youth, Faith that problems can be solved.

Adults for the most part are just plain burned out from Coping. 

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2014, 06:23:32 AM »

However, you stand apart from it, you do NOT JOIN and more than that you deprecate the efforts we make all the time.  You constantly make negative commentary, and never propose better solutions beyond piling up the Gold.

RE

Those twist and contort meaning and intent tricks do not work with me RE. Your talking to GO.

When you wish to discuss differing ideas than yours as an adult, I will be here.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2014, 06:33:28 AM »

RE

Those twist and contort meaning and intent tricks do not work with me RE. Your talking to GO.

When you wish to discuss differing ideas than yours as an adult, I will be here.

Nothing twisted here GO.  As Sgt. Joe Friday said, Just the FACTS

Quote from: GO
It sure is, it sure is. Why don't you carve it out in stone as a memento  to further generations of those you have saved?

The Diner Tablet it might be known as to future generations.    ::)

Find me something POSITIVE in that sarcasm GO.  I dare you.  It is disruptive negativity, designed to undermine anyone who wants to JOIN this effort.  You are trying to destroy what I am trying to build.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »
As per instructions in your article on how to prevent an outburst, I have decided to refrain from commenting on the topic.

Your Modus Operandi of taking from context and distortion of meaning are well known to me, and I do not wish to engage in your demonizing of me for not agreeing with you on some matters.  As mentioned in a prior posting I will refrain from commenting on the topic for the sake of peace and tranquility.      Regards  GO

Offline Publius

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »
So, how hard is it to get the average Joe/Jane involved?
My own brother has ample resources. He's doing well. A sales exec for a big company.
Here's what he texted me last night, obviously in response to the non-record cold of -10 or so we had yesterday:
"Where is Al Gore lately? Lol"

#1, I absolutely HATE the abbreviation, "lol."
#2, the only thing he communicates in response to my long-standing environmental and economic concerns is scorn and sarcasm.

So, not much to hope for on the brotherly front!

And he is just an example of how the average successful (so far) conned-sumer thinks, at this late stage.
When the economy was crashing in '08, he was panicking. How he's overly confident.
Same old story.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2014, 07:32:47 AM »

Quote from: GO
It sure is, it sure is. Why don't you carve it out in stone as a memento  to further generations of those you have saved?

The Diner Tablet it might be known as to future generations.    ::)

Find me something POSITIVE in that sarcasm GO.  I dare you.  It is disruptive negativity, designed to undermine anyone who wants to JOIN this effort.  You are trying to destroy what I am trying to build.

RE

Whos building? If you dont want sarcastic suggestions it is only a monument to your ego you could stop acting like thats all it is. But I cant name any of Diana's other Supremes, there can be only one diva. Im only a roadie, but GO is like lennon to your mcartny or garfunkel to your simon.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2014, 07:33:11 AM »
So, how hard is it to get the average Joe/Jane involved?
My own brother has ample resources. He's doing well. A sales exec for a big company.
Here's what he texted me last night, obviously in response to the non-record cold of -10 or so we had yesterday:

Such a tired ass climate weirding denialist comment I've heard a hundred times. 

And he is just an example of how the average successful (so far) conned-sumer thinks, at this late stage.
When the economy was crashing in '08, he was panicking. How he's overly confident.
Same old story.

"Conned-sumer"   :laugh:

Haven't heard that one before, but I like it.  I may add that to my personal collapsespeak lexicon. 

BTW, welcome to the Diner Publius.  I don't think I've welcomed you yet  :icon_sunny:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:35:19 AM by luciddreams »

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »

And then there are those who are willfully ignorant.

Offline Publius

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2014, 08:19:42 AM »
Wow - I have somehow contributed the "quote of the month," from an offhand comment? What an  honor. And thanks, RE, for correcting my typo, and converting "no" to "know."

Regarding climate-denialist-know-nothings: there is no use arguing with any of them, at all. For one thing, even if climate change were not real, or CO2 is not changing the climate, so what?

CO2 will still acidify the oceans, and collapse the fish stocks and destroy countless ecosystems, leading to an Eco-catastrophe that will kills hundreds of millions who are dependent on the oceans for food.

Peak oil is still real - no oil, no fertilizer, no food.

Peak water is hitting more and more areas of the world, as we speak.

More generally, infinite growth on a finite planet is impossible, obviously. All previous civilizations peaked and collapsed, usually not too long after the peak.
But facts, history, and the laws of nature mean nothing to those who are in thrall to the strange, mystical, techno-narcissism that dominates the age we live in.
Whether you are religious or spiritual or mystical or not, you have to admit that hubris almost always leads to downfall.
I won't even go into the singularity  and AI nuts who think that either:
1. We'll download are brains/minds (the same thing to these people, even though the mind and brain are not the same thing) into the Internet and fuse with computers (see nut Ray Kurzweil, who wrote some time ago that he thought there was "only" a 30% chance or so that the singularity would destroy the planet)
2. Super artificial intelligence will take over, and the human era will end (see Sci Fi writer and computer scientist Vernor Vinge - who is, not coincidentally, a libertarian free-market anarchist type)

Then you have the whole spectrum of doomer psychology/philosophy. Strangely, the camps often start hating on each other, e.g. NBL vs. RE.
History tells us that decline is usually slow to those going through it, with occasional terrifying localized breaches of civilized behavior.
But we are in a new world: a global civilization. Sudden perturbations and collapses may be harder to isolate. Fast crashes caused by algo trading on Wall Street is a good example.

Who knows.
All I know is that my wife and kid and I can't depend on any family to pre-prepare. Which is why I am here. And why I met WHD in person on Saturday...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:37:45 AM by Publius »

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »
All I know is that my wife and kid and I can't depend on any family to pre-prepare. Which is why I am here. And why I met WHD in person on Saturday...

Attention Diners. We have real world networking, in progress.

Good for you, O Frozen Ones.

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2014, 06:10:54 PM »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/06/conservative-snow-trolling-of-global-warming-expected-to-reach-record-highs-today/#comment-1189485483

"Conservatives are having a field day “sticking it” to liberals about the weather. They have no time for scientific theories like “Arctic amplification,” which only perfectly models how general warming trends can lead to increasingly severe cold snaps. After all, like evolution, Arctic amplification is “just a theory.”"

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/06/conservative-snow-trolling-of-global-warming-expected-to-reach-record-highs-today/#comment-1189485483

"Conservatives are having a field day “sticking it” to liberals about the weather. They have no time for scientific theories like “Arctic amplification,” which only perfectly models how general warming trends can lead to increasingly severe cold snaps. After all, like evolution, Arctic amplification is “just a theory.”"
For the die-hard skeptics, there's no hope.  For the undecided, here's a way to explain it: this storm is called a polar vortex, it's like a winter hurricane, and normally it stays trapped up by the poles because of the strong difference in temperatures.  As the poles warm, it is more likely to break free from the poles.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....