PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Cannabis

AuthorTopic: Cannabis  (Read 13026 times)

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Sudden Legalization of Marijuana Is Profoundly Immoral
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »

I think of cannabis as a kind of ally. As honest a guide and more reliable than any human.

WHD

Familiar with Daniel Pinchbeck and his journeys with ayahuasca?

"The Return of Quetzalcoatl" a very interesting book.

I am. Read it twice. Poor Daniel, Q did not show up on time. Otherwise, Daniel has done some interesting work on behalf of hallucinogens. I have never taken Ayahuasca, but I would like to. That and shrooms and straight DMT.

Here is a blog-post about cannabis, I wrote, the third most-read post on my blog:

http://offthegridmpls.blogspot.com/2010/12/cannabis.html

Cannabis

I was at my sister's, with my niece, as my sister was at the hospital having her second child, when I saw the Drug Czar Gil Kerlikowski on the Lehrer Hour. He was publicizing a recent National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) study, which found increased drug use among American teens. I found it curious that Czar Kerlikowski spent the entire segment talking about the scourge of marijuana, making little of the studys conclusion that Ecstasy and pharmaceutical abuse is up as well.

Looking into it, I found a 2008 Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) pamphlet called MARIJUANA: THE CAUSE OF ALL DRUG ABUSE. The cause? Reading through this pamphlet, and NIDA and DEA websites, it occurred to me that, if someone hopes to sound authoritative on a subject, and make sense, it helps to have some understanding of the subject. One wonders what kind of damage is required in the brain, to suggest that marijuana smoke is "50-70% more cancerous than tobacco smoke," while not being able to point to one cancer death anywhere, ever, attributable to marijuana, while the National Cancer Institute tells us, of the 438,000 deaths directly attributable to tobacco smoke, 40% are due to cancer?

I thought smoking pot was supposed to screw up your brain?

The stance of the Government on Cannabis can only make sense if you know nothing about the plant. Learning about the plant coincides with learning a truth about the State.

There are four primary reasons Cannabis is illegal. And not just illegal, but the focus of our Government's war on drugs, a civil war, Americans against Americans.

I. There are as many as 200 different medical conditions that respond favorably to marijuana. There is no known plant or compound that is so widely beneficial, with so much potential for market share. Or rather, as it can be grown indoors or outdoors just about anywhere in the United States, it is a market share eliminator. Pharmaceutical companies are the second most powerful lobby in America, behind the Oil Industry. They will do whatever is necessary to maintain control of that market share.

II. Hemp, the unsmokeable variety of Cannabis, is without question the most useful plant on the planet. It is so useful, so flexible, it could be the raw material for a multi-trillion dollar tier of industries, from paper, to food, to clothing, to bio-fuel, to housing material, etc. It can grow just about anywhere, and it does not require herbicides. It would also compete with corn for room in the fields, which means all of corporate Agri-business and most industrial food producers align against hemp, as do logging interests.

III. There are, according to the DEA, 45,000 people in federal jails on marijuana convictions. That does not include state, county and private facilities. There are more than 500,000 marijuana arrests each year. Marijuana laws keep law enforcement and prosecutors busy, and jails full. In addition, treatment facilities benefit from an influx of "offenders", often under-age, who are given a choice between jail and treatment. An industry has sprung up around drug testing, though the only thing such tests are likely to find is marijuana, as nearly everything else (being more objectionable) leaves the body more quickly; and there is no evidence of any kind that shows a decrease in work-production among those who smoke marijuana.

IV. Smoking pot makes people peaceful. Ronald Reagan called it "the most dangerous drug in America," not because the plant is dangerous, but because it can help people stop, think and consider, which is dangerous for the State. Had we all puffed in 1979, we might have reconsidered the idea of turning American Democracy into Plutocratic Empire. It's hard to build and maintain Empire if the people desire peace. Felony marijuana convictions disenfranchise the poor and the peaceful, preventing them from voting. That, and simple marijuana possession, under the statutes of the State, is cause for the State to confiscate everything you own. A constant reminder to those who tend toward peace - we the State have established and maintain the power to destroy you.

Suppose I want to make hemp paper. I can import hemp from Canada, or the European Union, but I cannot buy it from a farmer in the United States? Why? This is a free enterprise system, yes?

The violence of the marijuana trade would decrease to non-existent within a year, if it was legal to grow. But that is not the point, if you are the State. It is instructive that the only people who want to keep marijuana illegal, more than the experts at the NIDA, or Law Enforcement, or big Ag or pharmaceutical peddlers, are big time drug dealers. The flower of Cannabis sativa, marijuana, which is the flower of a weed, is as much as $3000-4000 a pound, more if you sell it by the eighth ounce. It would be about $10 a pound if anyone could grow it, without fear of having their life destroyed by the State.

Hemp is so valuable in real terms that it may prove to be incredibly important to local economies in an age without abundant fossil fuels. American ingenuity loosed on that plant would transform the culture dramatically, in a healthy way. It may prove to be such a prolific plant, that when fully established as a commodity, it could help provide local sustainability and autonomy, even help put an end to the dominance of the centralized Nation-State.

Cannabis prohibition, top to bottom, is a lie. No Republic that rests so fundamentally upon a lie can stand. It is not a Republic when the State perpetuates such a lie. A government that practices such a lie is not fully legitimate. A democracy beholden to such a lie is not fully mature.

We can all agree, smoking marijuana under the age of 18 is not a good idea, at least not in daily abundance. Under observance, for understanding, in a sacred way, is something else entirely. This however, takes maturity to understand, accept and teach, maturity made criminal by the State. The cultural ninnie would rather demonize than understand in a mature fashion, which only makes a thing more attractive to young people who are not attracted to hypocrisy and self-righteousness.

The criminal status of marijuana, because it rests on a lie, makes the growing, selling and smoking of it an act of defiance against tyranny. Though all things in moderation, sayeth the wise sage. Growing, selling or smoking becomes less political the greater the profit, the greater the consumption. With exceptions, of course. Medicinally, I trust you to know what you need. For profit, are you out to feed your family, or are you after bling?

The criminal status of marijuana, because it rests on a lie, makes the prosecution of those laws subject to conscience. But what is conscience, to one whose livelihood depends upon the maintenance of a lie?

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »
Thanks William and Surly, I remember reading a story a few years back about a woman who made all sorts of clothing and apparel objects from hemp, pocketbooks, hats, belts, all sorts of items for durability.

The Feds shut the poor lady down and fined her as if she were a drug dealing criminal.  No shortage of ass holes out there. :-\

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 09:03:47 AM »
I am. Read it twice. Poor Daniel, Q did not show up on time. Otherwise, Daniel has done some interesting work on behalf of hallucinogens. I have never taken Ayahuasca, but I would like to. That and shrooms and straight DMT.

Careful of that stuff Duncan, hear about it a lot on a talk show I listen to often called Coast to Coast.

That stuff will put you into another dimension they say. Real freaky shit. Supposed to take it with a Shaman present so he can guide you back to earth.

Like blowing on a bong for 10 days and then doing a tab of acid times a thousand they say. Some go into the parallel universe with that shit and bullshit with people that lived a thousand years ago and a thousand from now.  :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh:  Nothing to be driving on when you try it.  :laugh: :laugh: :exp-grin: :exp-grin: :exp-laugh:

Spaced Out
Spaced Out

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »

Careful of that stuff Duncan, hear about it a lot on a talk show I listen to often called Coast to Coast.

That stuff will put you into another dimension they say. Real freaky shit. Supposed to take it with a Shaman present so he can guide you back to earth.

Like blowing on a bong for 10 days and then doing a tab of acid times a thousand they say. Some go into the parallel universe with that shit and bullshit with people that lived a thousand years ago and a thousand from now.  :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh:  Nothing to be driving on when you try it.  :laugh: :laugh: :exp-grin: :exp-grin: :exp-laugh:

Spaced Out
Spaced Out

GO,

I am 40 years old. I am very prudent about my shamanic tendencies. I have never tried LSD, I have only taken ONE magic mushroom in my life, I consume cannabis irregularly. Though I can assure you, if I did not live in a fascist state, I would be growing shrooms, and isolating the DMT alkaloid from canary reed grass. LSD is beyond my alchemical abilities though, and not that much interest to me anyway.  :icon_mrgreen:

WHD

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »
WHD,

Superb. You ought to publish it here.

Very well said.
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
GO,

I am 40 years old. I am very prudent about my shamanic tendencies. I have never tried LSD, I have only taken ONE magic mushroom in my life, I consume cannabis irregularly. Though I can assure you, if I did not live in a fascist state, I would be growing shrooms, and isolating the DMT alkaloid from canary reed grass. LSD is beyond my alchemical abilities though, and not that much interest to me anyway.  :icon_mrgreen:

WHD

Ayahuasca is what I was talking about Duncan. The guys I heard talking about it went on safaris to South American jungles to get the real stuff from the natives. Some of them never come back. :laugh: :laugh: :D

Seems there is an Acapulco Gold version of it that puts you away in space permanently if you take it without a Shaman present.  :exp-grin: :exp-grin:

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
But on a purely objective note, the "mainstreaming" of marijuana is to be celebrated. From paper, to potential cancer cures, to numerous other practical uses, marijuana has proven historically to be one of the most healthful and useful plants known to humankind.

Correction: there is no other as useful. It is the most useful plant on the planet. The only one I know of that comes close is the peanut, and that does not alter consciousness.

WHD

WTF William?  Bamboo has like 1500 uses for humans. ;)

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »

GO,

WHD

You don't need to, mix with Syria Rye - it contains a MAOI - to get a north american version.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 10:03:11 AM »
Haniel always has the good shit.

All drugs, natural or man-made, have potential for abuse. Many of them also have the potential for good, too. It's all about the who and the when and the where and the why and the "who with".

I think there's at least a grain of truth in that article. Not that it's been a conspiracy all along, but more like TPTB are opportunists, and there's legal money to be made from legal pot...while continuing to control the growing process and the distribution networks.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »
WHD,

Superb. You ought to publish it here.

Very well said.

I agree.  William that may be the best piece I've ever read from you.  I especially liked this bit:

Cannabis prohibition, top to bottom, is a lie. No Republic that rests so fundamentally upon a lie can stand. It is not a Republic when the State perpetuates such a lie. A government that practices such a lie is not fully legitimate. A democracy beholden to such a lie is not fully mature.

Truth cutting like a diamond IMO :)

Slicin' that fuckin' denial up like a ninja bitch :laugh:  That's why I like you so much.  And why I would trust you with my family and I've never met you in person.  That's sayin' a lot comin' from a man who would dispatch great violence and with impunity upon any anything attempting to harm my family. 

In the face of tyranny indeed.  Yet now we're at the beating heart of the Matrix and what it's existence means.  Fuck tyranny is how I feel about tyranny.  Too many people are scared that if they stand up nobody will see them.  That's what the system wants them to believe, and it's how the populace is maintained under control by tptb. 

Only profit is sacred to these fuckin' psychopaths.  They stuck me in that solitarily confined cell in a military prison for smokin' herb.  After I got out of that cell I smoked it on the fuckin' boat on a daily basis.  I was the only restrictee with balls enough to have a glass pipe in my rack...cause fuck tyranny that's why.  I led a rebellion on the USS Carl Vinson to get restrictees better sleeping and living arrangements off the boat.  Because of my actions, and the actions of my restrictee homeys, we were moved off the carrier after the work day where we stayed on the barge that was docked next to the boat.  We went from having nowhere to piss once lights were out (cause the master at arms would lock the heads to fuck with us from time to time) to living with the rest of the just arrived from boat camp sailors.  Everybody else either had an apartment or lived in the barracks when we were in port. 

Anyways, a revolution. 

As O.A.R put it on the Anytime Now recording of That was a crazy game of poker "I say ohh, ya'll say ahhhh, a revolution, and ya'll say Jah"

(that's the song I was listening to when I wrote this reply if your wondering why I would pick that seemingly arbitrary quote.)

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »
But on a purely objective note, the "mainstreaming" of marijuana is to be celebrated. From paper, to potential cancer cures, to numerous other practical uses, marijuana has proven historically to be one of the most healthful and useful plants known to humankind.

Correction: there is no other as useful. It is the most useful plant on the planet. The only one I know of that comes close is the peanut, and that does not alter consciousness.

WHD

WTF William?  Bamboo has like 1500 uses for humans. ;)

Cannabis has about 40,000.  :o

WHD

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »
BTW, I appreciate this thread today Ox.  Because today be my 34th bday :icon_sunny:

I'm not 33 any longer...which I suppose might bring an end to the "year of the 3's" as GM and I have dubbed the last year...2013.  Apparently my personal astrological calender is off a bit, otherwise I suppose I'd have been born on Jan 1 rather than the 22nd, or rather more precisely I'd have been born on Alban Arthuan :laugh:

My Druid gate.  Rasta man refuse it bitch :icon_mrgreen:  It's not that much of a contradiction really, a Rasta Druid :icon_scratch:

They're both really green :icon_mrgreen:

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »
Happy Birthday Lucid. You are still a kid, believe me, ask Surly and Agelbert if you don't believe me.  :laugh: :laugh: :emthup:

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 10:42:10 AM »
Happy Birthday Lucid. You are still a kid, believe me, ask Surly and Agelbert if you don't believe me.  :laugh: :laugh: :emthup:

yeah, maybe old man, but if I'm still a kid I'm a kid who's been rode hard and put up wet by tptb.  At least I've never done prison time proper...but that 3 days of solitary confinement, bread and water, beat a lot of kid out of me.  I still throw my boomerang though...and it ain't a toy...wanna fight about it?

I think in honor of William staying home today to get drunk and stoned...Ima open my first New Belgium Rampant of the day and commence to gettin' irie :icon_mrgreen:

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »
Haniel always has the good shit.

All drugs, natural or man-made, have potential for abuse. Many of them also have the potential for good, too. It's all about the who and the when and the where and the why and the "who with".

I think there's at least a grain of truth in that article. Not that it's been a conspiracy all along, but more like TPTB are opportunists, and there's legal money to be made from legal pot...while continuing to control the growing process and the distribution networks.

I have an extensive library on herbal medicine and plant properties, including the medicinal plants of the south west.