AuthorTopic: Diner 2nd Anniversary Party  (Read 18089 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Diner 2nd Anniversary Party
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:40:05 AM »
The Diner 2nd Anniversary is coming up February 17th.

I will be holding an Anniversary Party on Google Hangouts on Sunday February 16th (17th already in Oz on Monday) to Celebrate this Occasion.
:multiplespotting:   :partytime2:

If your Laptop currently will not handle Google+ and the Hangouts, you have nearly a full month to figure out why and get yourself up to Tech Speed here.  If there is a hardware issue and you need some equipment, let me know.  If you are Poor I will send you a mic or webcam.

NO EXCUSES!  BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

We will discuss the Evolution of the Diner over the last 2 years, and the Future Plans for SUN  :icon_sunny: and PEN.

BYOB.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Diner 2nd Anniversary Party
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:10:08 AM »
BTW. there are only 10 Seats available at the Live Party.

I am pretty sure Monsta, LD/GM and JD will attend, as they already have participated on Google Hangouts.  Pretty sure Haniel can figure out the Tech.  This leaves 6 seats at the table.

Priority given to Diner Admins, after that it is Seniority as a Diner Mod to get you IN.

RSVP here in the thread if you will make the Show.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:49:32 AM »
Ugh, I am working until 5 PM EST that day, and it takes me 30 minutes to get home (if the weather is good), so I will be, as they say, fashionably late...
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:54:52 AM »
Ugh, I am working until 5 PM EST that day, and it takes me 30 minutes to get home (if the weather is good), so I will be, as they say, fashionably late...

5PM EST = 1PM Alaska Time.

I don't figure to get rolling much before 3PM Alaska Time, 7PM EST.

No issues here.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:55:27 AM »

I am pretty sure Monsta, LD/GM and JD will attend, as they already have participated on Google Hangouts.  Pretty sure Haniel can figure out the Tech.  This leaves 6 seats at the table.

Priority given to Diner Admins, after that it is Seniority as a Diner Mod to get you IN.

RE

I would like to respectfully object to the policy of Admins given first priority and then Mods. It reeks to me of the perks and power hierarchy that exists in the world outside of the Diner, the world we are trying to improve in our own way, as well as centralized corrupting  power.

Let me state emphatically that my intent is not to start a bickering session, or to throw out a negative wave, it is merely my opinion that the Diner should give equal access to all it's membership to events. I hope the party is a great success.

Will non geeks like me be able to listen in on the proceedings with a simple desktop? The posting mentioned laptops and perhaps special equipment needed. Would like to be able to listen in and enjoy the proceedings. Any instructions before hand would be most welcome.  :icon_scratch: 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:09:43 AM »

RE

I would like to respectfully object to the policy of Admins given first priority and then Mods. It reeks to me of the perks and power hierarchy that exists in the world outside of the Diner, the world we are trying to improve in our own way, as well as centralized corrupting  power.

Let me state emphatically that my intent is not to start a bickering session, or to throw out a negative wave, it is merely my opinion that the Diner should give equal access to all it's membership to events. I hope the party is a great success.

Will non geeks like me be able to listen in on the proceedings with a simple desktop? The posting mentioned laptops and perhaps special equipment needed. Would like to be able to listen in and enjoy the proceedings. Any instructions before hand would be most welcome.  :icon_scratch:

I will BRIEFLY un-SHUN you to respond to this Post from the Ghost.

You actually have very High Priority as a Mod with MUCHO Posting, so you would be the first to go in after the Admins.  There are 7 Admins, Me, Surly, Haniel, WHD, Monsta, Eddie & Peter. Peter is unlikely to show. LD/GM likely as Mods.  JD likely to show.  This leaves roughly 2 spots open, and if you want to, nobody has more Seniority than you do so you would be included.

If you do not join, the Party will go up for viewing as soon as I close the Vidcast, and be up for viewing on You Tube.

Hangouts only allows for 10 people, so there has to be prioritization here.  Those who contribute to the diner most get priority.  You are one of those people, despite the fact your contributions are mainly Negative Waves.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 05:42:01 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

I should have been more specific, yes I did realize mods like myself had status in the situation.

My concern went out to our members who are not major contributors by volume or are regulars hanging out at the diner, but are valued by us a well for there valuable but infrequent support. Many are busy with their own situations and make valuable contributions when they are able.

May I name a few prominent in that group of our regular membership to illustrate my point.

Buzzard, Snowleopard, Bot Blogger, Publius whose quote of the month appears on our heading is another. Personally I feel they should be included as well as any of our members who wish to participate. Ugo Bardi has posted very little but should certainly be extended an invitation as well.

My thought was a representation from all three groups would be fairer, Admins, Mods, General membership. Hopefully the top notch postings the mentioned members have made will illustrate my concern at leaving that group out.

Perhaps a slot system, should it be needed, could address my concern. 3 Admin slots, 4 Mod slots, and 3 General membership slots as merely a suggestion. or 2 admin, 4 Mods, 4 General, to more fairly represent their numbers, there are all sorts of ways to accomplish this. Even  a simple everyone throwing in their name by a certain date and have a draw of 10 names.

Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate the brief recognition. I am trying my utmost to be Casper The Friendly Ghost

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »

RE

I will BRIEFLY un-SHUN you to respond to this Post from the Ghost.

You actually have very High Priority as a Mod with MUCHO Posting, so you would be the first to go in after the Admins.  There are 7 Admins, Me, Surly, Haniel, WHD, Monsta, Eddie & Peter. Peter is unlikely to show. LD/GM likely as Mods.  JD likely to show.  This leaves roughly 2 spots open, and if you want to, nobody has more Seniority than you do so you would be included.

If you do not join, the Party will go up for viewing as soon as I close the Vidcast, and be up for viewing on You Tube.

Hangouts only allows for 10 people, so there has to be prioritization here.  Those who contribute to the diner most get priority.  You are one of those people, despite the fact your contributions are mainly Negative Waves.

RE

I appreciate what GO was trying to do, but chances are the people with the greatest give-a-shit quotient will be the ones who show up anyhow. Sounds great. I want to play.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »
GM and I will be there...and at 1900 hrs est standard time Zen and Tribann will likely be there as well.   :emthup:

Adult time is usually around 2000 hrs for us. 

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 06:49:31 PM »
The Diner 2nd Anniversary is coming up February 17th.

I will be holding an Anniversary Party on Google Hangouts on Sunday February 16th (17th already in Oz on Monday) to Celebrate this Occasion.
:multiplespotting:   :partytime2:

If your Laptop currently will not handle Google+ and the Hangouts, you have nearly a full month to figure out why and get yourself up to Tech Speed here.  If there is a hardware issue and you need some equipment, let me know.  If you are Poor I will send you a mic or webcam.

NO EXCUSES!  BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

We will discuss the Evolution of the Diner over the last 2 years, and the Future Plans for SUN  :icon_sunny: and PEN.

BYOB.

RE

10 seats @ Google Hangouts? Sounds like a clusterfuck to me. I would be a part of it, but my $1100 System 76 Ubuntu Linux computer does not have a camera. Hey tech geeks - what would it cost to purchase one that was worth it?

WHD

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »
10 seats @ Google Hangouts? Sounds like a clusterfuck to me. I would be a part of it, but my $1100 System 76 Ubuntu Linux computer does not have a camera. Hey tech geeks - what would it cost to purchase one that was worth it?
For a Linux system, for web chat, $22... this is probably the one I'd get.... HD video.... built-in noise-cancelling microphone....

Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 07:10:20 PM »
For a Linux system, for web chat, $22... this is probably the one I'd get.... HD video.... built-in noise-cancelling microphone....

HTF do they build such a thing to sell for a 20 spot?  :icon_scratch:

WHD

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 10:04:19 PM »

Even you can afford this.  LOL.  Get over to Best Buy and pick one up.

NO EXCUSES!

RE

WHD
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 05:20:20 AM »

WHD

Hell William, I was thinkin' about this the other day.  They have a 10 dollar wireless mouse at Best Buy.  I was like, htf myself???  Cause I mean 10 bucks gets that thing made with all it's materials, shipped from China or wherever the fuck, put on the shelf, and then sold.  Seems like it would take at least 10 bucks worth of shit to build one wireless mouse.  I don't know shit about wireless mouse tech, but damn...do they use fuckin' pixie dust or some shit?  And got a pixie slave factory?  Are they loosing money? 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
REMINDER: Diner 2nd Anniversary Party
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 11:48:28 PM »
A little over 2 weeks between now and the PAHHTY!

Get your $20 WEBCAM now and test it out!

I think I will book a local Hotel Room to run the party from instead of the Cafe so I can do some Dancing.  :icon_mrgreen:

I think doing some Poetry Reading might be fun.  Pick out a Favorite Poem to read.  Or we can do a Karaoke Contest!   :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN