AuthorTopic: Diner 2nd Anniversary Party  (Read 19347 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Diner 2nd Anniversary Party
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »
Going to hit the hay an listen to it on my I pad.

Good night diners, another snow storm in Beantown last night has me worn out. What a miserable winter, can't wait for spring. Hang in there Snowleopard, better days are coming, I hope.  :laugh:

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Diner 2nd Anniversary Party: RE Reads Meditation XVII by John Donne
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2014, 11:43:12 PM »
NOBODY has seen this before, since I recorded it while nobody else was signed into the Cafe.

It's where the "For Whom the Bell Tolls" metaphor comes.  Not a perfect reading, I can improve on it, but not too bad either for a 1st shot at this.  :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXwO0YJAeVo?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EXwO0YJAeVo?feature=player_detailpage</a>

RE
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:45:09 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2014, 02:26:52 AM »
I couldn't watch most of it, the links keep sending me to Apple Apps store and I did not know what to do. I put my tablet down got out of bed and came downstairs to my desktop computer and was able to see Roamer WHD Surly Haniel and RE perfectly, nice clear images and sound.

I came into the party not expecting too much and within seconds upon arriving was absolutely thrilled at the medium. What a wonderful experience to meet some of our Diners. To meet them personally, hear them talk, watch their mannerisms and facial expressions, it was just wonderful. Surly, you have the face of wisdom, Roamer and WHD it was just great to see you guys and hear about your plans in person, Haniel what a pleasure to meet you and hear that fabulous accent in your speech, I will always hear it now when I read your postings. Nice going RE, it was a pleasure to meet everyone. My only bitch is not being able to get the other stuff only that specific interview. It's tough not being a computer geek like you younger guys. Dunces like me need a link to click on where it just appears like the interview did.

I have the face of a meatcutter, but thanks anyhow, GO. Fully agree that the Google Hangouts bit of tech is great fun. And there is something about meeting and talking face to face with some of your correspondents that is really joyful.

By all means, get a grandchild to hook you up. I'm halfway tech-aware for an old guy, but I can hand my phone to my daughter and be amazed at what that "digital native" can get it to do.

Let's not wait another two years.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2014, 04:26:48 AM »
I have the face of a meatcutter, but thanks anyhow, GO. Fully agree that the Google Hangouts bit of tech is great fun. And there is something about meeting and talking face to face with some of your correspondents that is really joyful.

The always humble Surly. Will always remember at the start of an interview last year how he said " I Want To Make it Clear I Know Nothing. "

One of the most respected of Diners for good reason.    :emthup: :icon_sunny:

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2014, 04:44:04 AM »
I actually tried the link, but the google software seemed to not want to install. I gave up and went to dinner. Thanks for posting the video. It will be watched.
yeah, GM and I will watch it to.  We both thought it was today for some reason? 

Life has been hectic for us lately.
I made the same mistake.  Not that it really mattered, Sunday was my busiest day of the year, over 6 hours of back-to-back clients in the tax office, I couldn't really afford to stay up late.  And my work schedule was set before RE made the first announcement.  More importantly, by the time I got on and realized my mistake, I had already taken my daily migraine medication, after which I can not stay awake for love nor money.  Yes, coffee would keep me awake, and then promptly give me a migraine.  Still, I would have shown up for an hour or two at least had I realized my error earlier.

To that end, shall we plan on doing the same thing next year?  The second weekend of February is Saturday the 14th and Sunday the 15th.  I'm assuming the answer is yes, so I already have it in my Google calendar to schedule my time at Block around it next year.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2014, 05:03:36 AM »
To that end, shall we plan on doing the same thing next year?  The second weekend of February is Saturday the 14th and Sunday the 15th.  I'm assuming the answer is yes, so I already have it in my Google calendar to schedule my time at Block around it next year.

Pencil it in, but NEXT YEAR is pretty far down the Pipe here.  Long as the Net is still UP; long as the Boys in the Black Cadillac Escalades have not come to ship me off to GITMO; long as I am not yet pushing up Daisies,  I'll run an Anniversary PAHHTY on the Diner.

We'll have another opportunity here to Celebrate as Diners when the Convocation takes off.  Even the Techno-Challenged like Eddie will be there then, since both Haniel and myself will be there with the right Toys to make it work.

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.  Weekend of April 5, 2014.  Pencil it in.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2014, 05:15:08 AM »
Pencil it in, but NEXT YEAR is pretty far down the Pipe here.  Long as the Net is still UP; long as the Boys in the Black Cadillac Escalades have not come to ship me off to GITMO; long as I am not yet pushing up Daisies,  I'll run an Anniversary PAHHTY on the Diner.

We'll have another opportunity here to Celebrate as Diners when the Convocation takes off.  Even the Techno-Challenged like Eddie will be there then, since both Haniel and myself will be there with the right Toys to make it work.

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.  Weekend of April 5, 2014.  Pencil it in.
LOL naturally all the standard Doom disclaimers apply when talking a year out... but if I don't put it in my calendar now, I will have forgotten it by the beginning of next January when I really need it.

And thank you for the reminder about the weekend of April 5th... I knew that that was coming up, but wasn't thinking that I would be able to participate virtually, even though you had said about having a wi-fi connection.  Luckily, that weekend I'm working Saturday and not Sunday, so while I may be a little late and frazzled, I should be able to sleep in the next day.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »
I want to try gotomeeting for a session. We won't be able to record it, but if the quality is much better, then the software to record it is around $ 100.

We had a gotomeeting subscription for our sales managers, we dropped it last October to give Hangouts a try - we reinstated the gotomeeting after a few weeks because the quality was so much lower.

Pick a data and time on a weekend (it may be in use during normal office hours) , I'll set up the meeting and post the invite here.  People will need a gotomeeting client on their device, so I'll bring up the bridge about ten minutes before the start time.  Once all are in, I can hand control over to whoever wants to "present".

The level of collaborative interaction is far higher on gotomeeting, we can review powerpoint, watch videos together, record all except the video conferencing streams for individuals, which is an after-market product. 

Limit is 25 people at a time.

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »
Hey RE, after you mentioned the thread on NBL, I went over there and changed the labels.  "Newbie" is now "Just got here" and "Hero" is "I need to get a life"

"Administrator" is now "folks who fix things"

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »
I want to try gotomeeting for a session. We won't be able to record it, but if the quality is much better, then the software to record it is around $ 100.

We had a gotomeeting subscription for our sales managers, we dropped it last October to give Hangouts a try - we reinstated the gotomeeting after a few weeks because the quality was so much lower.

Pick a data and time on a weekend (it may be in use during normal office hours) , I'll set up the meeting and post the invite here.  People will need a gotomeeting client on their device, so I'll bring up the bridge about ten minutes before the start time.  Once all are in, I can hand control over to whoever wants to "present".

The level of collaborative interaction is far higher on gotomeeting, we can review powerpoint, watch videos together, record all except the video conferencing streams for individuals, which is an after-market product. 

I'll be happy to try the GTM alternative, though if everyone needs client software installed on their computer it seems like this would only be useful internally for the Diners.  Say I invite Albert Bates to join a meeting, will he need to download software for this?

You actually can review powerpoints and so forth on Hangouts through the Screenshare tool.  In the end I think the problems are all about Bandwidth.  When Monsta and I were chatting yesterday, we had a fabulous connection and it worked great.  Unfortunately only JD showed up and nobody was drinking so we didn't record.  LOL.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »
Hey RE, after you mentioned the thread on NBL, I went over there and changed the labels.  "Newbie" is now "Just got here" and "Hero" is "I need to get a life"

"Administrator" is now "folks who fix things"

I thought about doing something like that, but figured no matter what I changed the labels to Nobody would find a way to complain about it.

Also I would have been tempted to add titles like "Walking Dead", "Existential Quitter", "Happily Depressed" and "Joining the Dinosaurs".  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »

I'll be happy to try the GTM alternative, though if everyone needs client software installed on their computer it seems like this would only be useful internally for the Diners.  Say I invite Albert Bates to join a meeting, will he need to download software for this?

You actually can review powerpoints and so forth on Hangouts through the Screenshare tool.  In the end I think the problems are all about Bandwidth.  When Monsta and I were chatting yesterday, we had a fabulous connection and it worked great.  Unfortunately only JD showed up and nobody was drinking so we didn't record.  LOL.

RE

It's a simple web client.  Set a date and time (this weekend) or an evening (after 6pm PST) and we'll give it a go.  Bandwidth is a factor, but not the only one.  We have a fiber to the building, still found hangouts to be significantly slower and buggy than GTM.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »

RE

It's a simple web client.  Set a date and time (this weekend) or an evening (after 6pm PST) and we'll give it a go.  Bandwidth is a factor, but not the only one.  We have a fiber to the building, still found hangouts to be significantly slower and buggy than GTM.

You should try it. Rock solid. Software loads itself, easy install.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2014, 06:19:54 PM »

Hey, don't forget, Gypsy Mama and LD showed up too... we just had a lot of trouble hearing them.

I have limited experience with GTM, but it is what Northwood Realty uses for technical support.  I found it quite easy to install the client and the software was pretty transparent.  It was almost as good as having the tech guy in the room with me.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:18 AM »

I should be available Fri Night on a Hotel Wi-Fi.  I'm going down to Soldotna.  Say 7PM AK time or so.

RE
Save As Many As You Can