AuthorTopic: Questions for Stoneleigh/Foss  (Read 7710 times)

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Questions for Stoneleigh/Foss
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »
I'm going to see Nicole Foss present at our local Transition group tonight.

If anyone has specific questions/criticisms they would like me to raise with Nicole, submit them here.  Sorry about the late notice but hopefully we'll get a couple good suggestions.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Stoneleigh/Foss
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:22:10 PM »
Why is she letting TAE Twist in the Wind here and watch the readership base collapse?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:27:53 PM »
Maybe she is creating a parallel between her site and the imminent economic collapse?  :laugh:

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »
But seriously now.  I can quickly think of a few possibilities.

A) she didn't realize/expect what the result would be of turning it over to Ashvin

B) she thinks it's run it's useful course and wants to reach a wider audience, possibly because she's concerned collapse is close

C) related to b, the Internet won't be available for much longer

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:47:58 AM »
Hate to be so cynical but appears to me to be all about the Benjamins. View the tours as mini rock concerts to build up large readership and donations and of course advertising bucks. The concerts were coincidental with the new site launch. Ashvin said it was Ilargi's curse to keep the site profitable and I believe him. Ashvin was put there to keep the lights on and the donation button working. Expect a media blitz and surge in site traffic when they get back, donation and banner increases also. Hey, good luck to  them, only capitalism at work. Just a shame the quality of the content will head south as the amount of banners increase. It always does.  :(

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:27:10 AM »
Well, let's see here. TAE is clearly Monetized, its got a lot of Ads running and a Donations button as well.  Acccording to the Thermometer, I think they raised something like $40K over the last year.

At the same time though, they decided to revamp the site and put up new software, and unless they have somebody like Peter over there who does this kind of thing basically because he finds it fascinating, they have to have paid a decent amount of money for their new platform.  Then of course it also does cost money to Globe Trot, those Plane Tickets to Oz do not come cheap these days.

Then you have the site traffic questions.  If they invested in their own server because site traffic was high, but it starts to drop off, they can be stuck with higher operating costs and lower revenue.

Based on all of that analysis, I'll agree with GO that MONEY may be at the Root of all the Evil going on with TAE at themoment.  However, I do not think Stoneleigh can simply drop back on and bring back what has been lost here over the last few months.  It will take a concerted effort to rebuild at this point.

Thing is, all the Globe Trotting and all the Confereces DEPEND on a functioning TAE.  Its why people would show up for Stoneleigh's lectures and buy her videos.  Its the Poitn of the Spear and Advertising Medium for their perspective.  if TAE is not succeeding, their credibility is impacted and there will be less demand for lectures in Globe Trotting Adventures.

All i can say here is that if this was me, I would NEVER have let it go so far as it has, even if I was up in Nunavut fishing with the Inuit.  I would find SOME Igloo with an Uplink to the Net and Post Up SOMETHING.  LOL.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:31:37 AM »
No matter how it turns out, it will be the root of all evil behind it. They could be planning an internet TV radio type thing like Financial Sense they could launch from TAE, who knows. They are very creative and she is quite the entertainer on stage.  I took a look at those pictures of them Ashvin posted recently and they sure did not appear concerned or worried to me, looked like honey moon pictures. With DD up and running so nicely who cares anyway. Good luck to them, we could all use a few more bucks with the horrid inflation eating at us.  :dontknow:

p01

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:24:18 AM »
Red for finance, green for energy and yellow for community?!  :icon_scratch:

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 06:42:18 AM »
A quick visit over there and I'm DELIGHTED to see that they have stripped out the widget bar at the bottom. That is so much better / faster - whew!

I used to visit TAE alot but after I heard the same steadfast message over and over again, without any other possibilities being discussed, I got bored. Personally, I think Ashvin has done a fine job of spicing it up a bit. I hope they keep it more like a blog with a variety of topics. I might start visiting there more often.

As for donating, forget it. I'm tapped out. Ironic isn't it - that the very sites that predict a deflationary collapse are begging for donations? What are we all going to do?

Jb

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
You are worried for nothing Jb. We can always yell for the Three Musketeers; or is it stooges?

Offline bluebird

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 07:32:38 AM »
I'm curious why they loaded the new site, then left to tour the globe. While I think Ashvin is doing the best he can, I don't think he is the owner of TAE. Why would the owners, Ilargi and Stoneleigh, not take more interest in their new site? 

Perhaps the tour is reaching a wider audience more quickly so more people become aware of the Ponzi bubble we are living in, and trying to alert more people of the impending collapse.

Otoh, if the collapse is coming sooner than expected, they why upload a new site? Why not stay with the old site?

Offline yikes

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:52:35 AM »
ask them if they can go back to the old blogger... it is missed...  :-[

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »
You are worried for nothing Jb. We can always yell for the Three Musketeers; or is it stooges?

That's a relief; thanks Golden Oxen. How silly of me. Meanwhile, in my line of work the news is all bad:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/24/us-usa-housing-rebound-idUSBRE83N0SK20120424

He said suburban areas in particular might endure further price declines as high gas prices increase demand for "walkable cities."

Foss and Kunstler are right. One article I read said builders were stopping construction because they couldn't get financial credit to build spec homes.

Jb

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 10:31:46 PM »
So how did the Meeting go?
:circle:
RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
Sorry about the late reply.  The day following the seminar with Nicole, I went on holiday for a few days.  I stayed at a favourite cottage of ours where there is no mobile phone coverage and I wasn't interested in finding internet access.  I must say it was a treat to see the night sky without light pollution.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  Sadly I didn't get a chance to ask questions, but tomorrow we're having a dinner with Nicole where it will be a more open discussion.  I think the reality of why TAE is being neglected is a combination of all of the thoughts put forward here on DD.  She did mention she believes the internet will very likely be disrupted or unavailable in some locations either through gov't control and/or infrastructure break down.  Similarly, she said some areas will be under gov't control, probably cities and centers of power like DC, but others would be beyond their scope of control (for good or bad we'll see). There weren't any new breakthroughs for me.  I managed to get one of the local mayoral candidates (who came third in the election) to attend.  I watched him during Nicole's presentation and he was riveted, so I suspect some of it was an eye opener for him.  Of course he was there to drum up support so I took it all with a grain of salt.  He asked Nicole what local councils could do, and she bluntly stated government needs to just stay out of the way, let people be self-sufficient, don't create unnecessary red tape to doing so.  She also said gov't will be mostly useless and will be focused on the wow factor projects centered on growth.  Again, nothing new to us, but it was cool to see her give it to him straight.

In the conversations I had with the Transition folks after the seminar, my suspicion that they may not fully appreciate the urgency and potential for chaos was confirmed.  I asked a few people what they think about the sheeple who have their heads in the sand and the attitude was that as things become more apparent, they'll come onboard.  Call me cynical, but I have a feeling there will be a lot of folks who take a different more violent approach than these people either realise or care to entertain.  However, I have only just met the senior members of Transition and haven't had a chance to have this sort of conversation with them.  I'm interested to find out as soon as possible.

I'll report back on anything of interest from the dinner with Nicole.