AuthorTopic: Our Devolving Species  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Our Devolving Species
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »

Worst of all, social media teaches you to make yourself into a product. You begin to self-censor, because you crave the "likes" just as a heroin addict craves a fix.

Excellent insight.
I hadn't thought of it that way.

Pleas press the "LIKE" buttons to the right to like like me. Thanks!  :emthdown: :emthdown: :emthdown:

Because many are on the facebook page continuously, when I ask my son to find out from his friends something like is there going to be a  bus coming or do I need to drive somewhere or what time etc, he always hops on fb rather than ring anyone to ask. I said "so has anyone answered?" and he said "no but 3 people liked it". I really dont know what there is to like about some kid asking if a bus is coming and what time it arrives.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline GypsyMama

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
  • "Dream your happiest dream vividly awake."
    • View Profile
    • The Butterchurn
Re: Our Devolving Species
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 06:10:41 AM »
Another level to the world of Facebook is the politic'in corporate world.  As most of you know, I decided to dump my photography business not too long ago.  Near the end, my new clients would ask if I was on Facebook.  They'd want to be 'friends'.  By accepting their friend request, I was allowing them into my personal life.  I remember having to second guess posts before I posted them because I was concerned about these clients seeing what I really had to say.  I felt as if I had to be professional all the time.

Sure, you can change your settings to make sure only select friends see certain posts-- but that just seemed unauthentic, so I never did that.  I had no filter other than just NOT posting a thought, belief, gripe, etc. to make Face. ( :P)

Because everyone shares everything on Facebook, I saw the competitor 'share' all of the events they attended, the exotic places they'd been, the awards they'd won and the popular people they were hanging out with.  Which caused a sort of, "I'm higher up on the ladder than you are, and here's why, and here's how great my life is" sort of appearance. It caused a "I need to be better and more successful" response on my end. It was depressing... especially when I began seeing potential clients who had decided not to book me, popping up all over the page of another photographer.

BTW, I've liked a few of these posts so that they'll show up on my personal FB page, LOL.  Perhaps doing that will open a few more eyes.  Maybe someone will read our words over there and allow themselves to entertain a different thought than they're used to.  I think I'm the only one on the Diner who ever clicks that little blue button, lurking under each post...perhaps one of the few who is even ON Facebook.

Lots of great writing here, guys.  I'm really learning more about "the beast" and how it operates by letting in some of the things you guys have to say about it...many of which, I didn't see before.