AuthorTopic: Ukraine Civil War  (Read 93596 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Ukraine Civil War
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 04:30:08 AM »

He's a "smart young guy." Why does he have to be funded by the Kremlin?

A 20-something guy pops outta nowhere with a well funded website and gets interviewed regularly by Russia Today as an Expert in Geopolitics.  He also appears to be able to fly around the world at will and gets interviews with the top tier of politicians, if not the heads of state.

So he is either independently wealthy or he is getting funding from somewhere.  Given the political spin of his website, its not coming from the Heritage Foundation or the Koch Brothers.  Where do you think it is coming from?

RE

What "I think" matters for less to me than what I can learn. So I cast around for info about the author which is surprisingly scanty, which in itself says something.

He apparently is a Boiling Frogs Post alum, which is a plus. He apparently for into some sort of dustup with Larouche nutter Webster Tarpley. He wrote this article last year, which contains some insights, but nothing as to funding.

But as you know, you don't have to be funded by George Soros to stand up a website.

Boiling Frogs Post’s Eric Draitser in Response to Webster Tarpley…
ERIC DRAITSER | APRIL 29, 2013 37 COMMENTS
It is sad that, despite all the news about Boston and Central Asia, the continued collapse of the US economy, the further mobilization of the police state apparatus, and so much more, that I have to write something in response to Webster Tarpley.  However, that is precisely the situation I find myself in, having to respond to spurious charges and baseless demonization by someone who should spend more time in self-examination and less time attacking people out of pitiful jealousy.  Let me first explain the connection I have had with Tarpley and the likely reasons for this attack…

I first met Tarpley back in 2011 at an event here in New York City in commemoration of the 1oth anniversary of 9-11.  Though I had been following his work for a few years, this was the first time I had ever met him.  He was impressed by my knowledge of a number of critical issues beyond simply 9-11 and false flag terror, so much so, that I spent the rest of the event and the evening with him and another colleague of mine, having dinner and discussing political issues.  At the time, this was a thrill for me as I had read Tarpley’s books, in particular his book 9-11 Synthetic Terror.  For me, I felt like I was forming a relationship with someone who I had only known through appearances on Infowars and his own radio show.  However, due to circumstances, our working relationship took on an additional dimension within weeks as, no more than a few days after meeting Tarpley, Zuccotti Park was occupied by a bunch of kids, and the phenomenon of Occupy began in earnest.

The historical significance of this moment was immediately apparent to me, and I rushed down to the park within days of the occupation.  It was my first-hand knowledge with, and experience in, Occupy that prompted Tarpley to put me on his radio show – my first actual radio appearance.  I was on his program a number of times in the weeks to come, providing detailed accounts of Occupy, the sabotage of the movement, and the continued efforts to push it in a positive direction (I realize now the fundamental flaw in such a strategy).  These weekly appearances on Tarpley’s program, along with my teach-ins at Occupy and working relationship with other independent media, encouraged me to consider beginning my own show and website.  Hence, StopImperialism.com and the Stop Imperialism podcast were born.  It would be dishonest to say that my connection with Tarpley wasn’t at least part of my motivation.

As weeks became months, and I began to develop my own unique style and voice, Stop Imperialism took shape.  It allowed me to explore issues that I felt no one was sufficiently covering, not the least of which being the true alternative media.  In so doing, I began to realize just how much the likes of Tarpley refused to address, including issues of the environment, big agribusiness, pharmaceutical companies, and countless other issues (more on that later). I felt myself drifting further and further from the quasi-Larouchian polemics of Tarpley and toward a more nuanced understanding of critical issues.  However, it was in attempting to work with Tarpley that his true colors were revealed and, simultaneously, my connection to him was permanently and inexorably severed.

The kernel of the idea to develop an anti-austerity organization came from Dan A. (a mutual friend of mine and Webster’s) however, for a number of reasons, Dan could not actually be part of building such an organization.  So, the responsibility passed on to me, and I began to run with it.  I thought (and still do think) it was a great idea and one whose time had come.  In the midst of a farcical presidential election, with both parties preparing to ravage the sick, the elderly, minorities, and countless others who depend on vital social programs, I thought an anti-austerity coalition would be essential to building an effective resistance movement in the US.  Frankly, it seems less of an idea and more of a mandate, as if history had left me no choice.  Naturally, because the idea had originated in a conversation that included Webster, he was the first person I approached about this idea.

I had only about 6 weeks between having the idea to put on an anti-austerity event in NYC and the event itself.  In that time, I managed to secure a number of notable speakers/guests, secure the space in which to hold the event, and organize the efforts of a handful of others to accomplish all the small tasks that had to be done in order to pull off the event.  In the meantime, Webster was busy preparing his plans for what I thought would be an anti-austerity movement but which turned out to be little more than a Webster Tarpley movement – one that sought not to work with others and build a coalition (as I had planned), but that instead promoted little more than Tarpley’s political and economic program.  In other words, a movement that I had never regarded as “mine”, was now most certainly becoming “his”.  Though the event went off without a hitch and was undoubtedly a success, I immediately withdrew membership in the organization I had created.  There were a number of reasons for this, the most important being that I had no interest in being the grand marshal of the Tarpley parade.  A few people asked me why I didn’t try to just reclaim control of the group.  The only answer I can give is that, when it comes to people like Tarpley, the less adversarial contact, the better.  He, and people like him, thrive on that sort of thing and, frankly speaking, I was too busy trying to build my own site and show to tie myself to that sinking ship.

So, I have not had any direct contact with Tarpley since the event last fall, nor do I plan on it in the near future.  Now, I would here like to say that I do not write this article because I want to engage in a tit-for-tat about the issue with Tarpley or anyone else.  Nor do I think Sibel or James needs me to defend them as they can fight their own battles.  I write this to explain what is undoubtedly one of the main motivating factors for Tarpley to attack Boiling Frogs – it’s his way of “getting back at me” for abandoning my own organization which, in his egomaniacal mind, is an abandonment of him.  The writers that BFP has “bought off” is a reference to me…pity is all I feel when I read such nonsense.

Now, since I’ve gone this far, I might as well lay it all out there.  There are a number of topics about which I learned a great deal from Tarpley’s analysis over the years: the nature of false flag terror and how it’s carried out, speculation, derivatives and their impact on the global economy, as well as a handful of other key issues.  However, his analysis is always partial at best as he refuses to address any issues pertaining to the environment which he regards as “anti-progress” Malthusianism.  He never discusses the criminality of Monsanto and big Agribusiness or the pharmaceutical industry for fear of being labeled “anti-science”.  He devotes his undying love and affection for nuclear power and, in the wake of Fukushima, his only analysis was that the world needs more nuclear power.  These are just a few of the countless examples that could be provided to illustrate his severely limited understanding of the real world.

Of course, no critical analysis of Tarpley would be complete without a very real questioning of his past.  Tarpley spent more than 30 years in the movement of Lyndon Larouche.  Anyone who knows anything about that organization should know that they are a proto-fascist, political personality cult that did little more than intimidate, attack, and otherwise subvert organizations and movements on the “Left” since at least the early 1970s.  It should be said that, to his credit, Tarpley claims to have left that organization in the late 1990s.  However, an analysis of his political views as mentioned above demonstrates quite clearly that,  though he may have left that organization in name, he certainly has not in spirit.

I have never had less fun writing an article than I have this one.  I find it an utterly odious task to write something solely for the purposes of attacking someone else.  However, in these circumstances, I think it is unavoidable as I cannot sit idly by while someone verbally attacks people like Sibel and James who I love and have tremendous respect for.  I make no secret about my own views and, particularly in terms of economic issues; I know that I stand in direct opposition to the “free market” ideology espoused by some of the contributors and subscribers to Boiling Frogs.  Frankly, I am happy that this is the case because, just as I said when forming the anti-austerity group, the only way to win in this fight is to work together, build our alliances and mutual understanding, develop a common language and key principles, and fight the transnational imperial-corporate system.  I am proud to stand with people like Sibel and James.  I am sorry that Tarpley has chosen irrelevance. But, so be it. The struggle is only just starting…
# # # #
- See more at: http://www.boilingfrogspost.com/2013/04/29/boiling-frogs-posts-eric-draitser-in-response-to-webster-tarpley/#sthash.99EkCE4p.dpuf
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 05:20:11 PM »
Just about at Full On World War now.

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/85WBb9xA9AI?feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/85WBb9xA9AI?feature=player_embedded</a>

This Is How Ukrainian Protesters Attack An Armored Personnel Carrier

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 02/18/2014 16:13 -0500

Watch as sparks fly between a Ukrainian military APC, possibly the same one we revealed earlier, as it gets into some blazingly close encounters with the Kiev protesters. It is unclear who won however it is quite clear that at this point the proxy war in Ukraine between Russia/Gazprom and the European Union/US State Dept/Saudi/Qatar can be upgraded to "hot."

And the death and injury toll, which is rising by the hour:

6 policemen dead
    6 protestors dead
    Police HQ in Ternopli on fire
    Police HQ in Lviv occupied
    More than 150 injuries

Finally this:

KLITSCHKO ARRIVES AT YANUKOVYCH’S OFFICE FOR TALKS: REUTERS

In short: things have spiraled out of control, and the only possible outcome is another new all time high in the Spoos overnight.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 12:31:49 AM »
This whole biz is summarized by the descriptor below the Headline.  Rock & Hard Place for the Ruskies as well as the Ukrainians.  Ukraine going belly up will do a lot of damage to the banking infrastructure.  It's a big enough problem to start the whole House of Cards coming down.

RE

Financial crisis threatens Russia as Ukraine spins out of control

Russia faces the choice of large losses from a default or the ever rising costs of propping up Ukraine's economy

An anti-government protester waves the national flag from the top of a statue during clashes with riot police in the Independence Square in Kiev

German foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier called Ukraine a 'powder keg' as the death toll rose to 70

Photo: Reuters
By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard

8:11PM GMT 20 Feb 2014

The dramatic escalation of Ukraine’s civil conflict and fears of Russian military intervention have sent financial tremors across Eastern Europe, turning the region into the new fulcrum of the emerging market crisis.

“This has suddenly gone from a domestic Ukrainian story into a geopolitical clash,” said Lars Christensen, from Danske Bank.

The Russian ruble has fallen to a record low against the euro, with contagion reaching Poland, Hungary and Romania in recent days. “The moves in Russia are very like the events during the war in Georgia in 2008. Markets are pricing in the risk of Russian intervention,” he said.

Any deployment of Russian troops to stiffen the Ukrainian governmment - even if invited by President Viktor Yanukovich - could spiral out of control, leading to an East-West stand-off not seen since the Cold War. It might even been seen as replay of Russian intervention in Hungary in 1956 to prevent the country slipping out of the Soviet sphere.

German foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier called Ukraine a “powder keg” as the death toll rose to 70, while Poland’s premier Donald Tusk warned of civil war.

Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov called the demonstrators fascists bent on a 1930-style “Brown Revolution”. Moscow has accused the EU of instigating a coup d’etat by mob violence.

Regis Chatellier, from Societe Generale, said there is a “high risk” that Ukraine will be pushed into default on its €60bn sovereign debt, triggering a credit shock for Russian banks. Sberbank and VTB are both large holders of Ukrainian bonds. Global emerging market bond funds hold 3pc of their portfolio in Ukrainian debt. “The spillover effect of a Ukrainian default would be significant, but not systemic,” he said.

The decision by the Ukrainian nationalist stronghold of Lvov this week to declare “independence” from Kiev has upped the ante, creating a volatile climate in which the Ukrainian army may be forced to intervene to head off civil war.

“Ukraine is on the verge of splitting into two countries. We’re looking at events that we have not seen in Europe since the break-up of Yugoslavia,” said one City economist with links to Lvov. “When you have this level of hatred and mistrust, anything can happen.”

Ukraine’s foreign reserves are down to survival levels. Russia has so far kept the country afloat with a $3bn loan, the first tranche of a $15bn bailout, but further payments are in doubt.

Russia faces the choice of large losses from a default or the ever rising costs of propping up Ukraine's economy. Military intervention to subjugate the rebels in the Catholic strongholds of Western Ukraine orbit could lead to a quagmire.

Russia is already near recession itself. Industrial output has contracted over the past year and fixed investment has fallen by 7pc. “We think Russia is the most exposed. The current account surplus has fallen very sharply,” said Liza Ermolenko, from Capital Economics.

Russia has nearly $500bn of foreign reserves - the world’s third largest - but this cannot easily be deployed in an economic slump. The country learned the hard way in 2008-2009 that such action has a side-effect of monetary tightening. The central bank burned through $200bn propping up the ruble, but in the process destroyed part of the Russian banking system.

The central bank has been intervening gingerly in the exchange markets over recent weeks, but may feel tempted to go further if the ruble buckles. “We think such a defence could become very costly for the Russian economy,” said Danske Bank.

Russia largely escaped the first wave of the emerging market crisis - mostly directed against those, like Turkey, South Africa and Brazil, with large current account deficits - but is now at the epicentre as worries switch to geopolitics. The ruble has fallen 10pc against the dollar this year.

Russia has never fully recovered from the post-Lehman crash in 2008-2009. It is a textbook case of the “Dutch Disease”, over-reliant on oil and gas at the expense of manufacturing. It requires crude prices above $110 to balance the budget, leaving it acutely vulnerable if a flood of oil from Iran, Iraq and Libya this year leads to a sharp fall in prices.

The Ukrainian crisis is happening against a backdrop of stress for emerging markets as the US Federal Reserve and China’s central bank tighten monetary policy. This is forcing a string of countries to tighten in lock-step to shore up their currencies, even if their own economies are slowing.

The International Monetary Fund said in a report for the G20 summit this weekend that emerging market woes are the key risk for global recovery, warning that a trifecta of “capital outflows, higher interest rates and sharp currency depreciation” could set off a corporate debt crisis.

Societe Generale said in a new report that emerging markets have risen from 18pc of world output to 40pc over the past 20 years, implying that a broad upheaval in these countries today would have “much greater ramifications for the global economy”.

The bank’s China strategist, Wei Yao, said the Chinese authorities appear determined to halt their country’s credit bubble regardless of the pain. “There is no other ending to China’s massive credit misallocation than a painful burst,” he said.

Societe Generale said this would have crushing consequences for commodity exporters and advised clients to brace for a slump in emerging market equities of 30pc or more this year.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ukraine Civil War: IT'S GOING DOWN
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 04:45:10 AM »
It is going down now in Ukraine, Doomfans.  Duck & Cover.

RE

Pro-Russian Gunmen Seize Ukraine Crimean Parliament; Russia Puts Jets On High Alert; Hryvnia In Record Plunge

Tyler Durden's picture

All those clips we showed in the past few days of Russian forces amassing in the Crimean (such as this one)? Well, turns out they were all predictive of what has just happened in the Crimean region parliament at Simferopol, where around 120 pro-Russian Gunmen occupied the parliament building and raised the Russian flag. The scene was the site of Wednesday’s scuffles between Tatar groups and pro-Russian supporters. As Euronews reports, local Tatar leader Refat Chubarov posted that the buildings have been occupied by men in uniforms bearing “no recognisable insignia.” Kyiv says it would regard any movements by Russian military in Crimea outside Moscow’s Black Sea Base in Sevastopol as an act of aggression. Following the fall of President Viktor Yanukovych divisions in Ukraine have come to the fore. All this happens as Russian troops in the area are building up and at the same time as Russia put fighter jets on combat alert, according to Interfax.

The Russian flag flies atop the parliament building:

Euronews clarifies that the 120 men that seized Crimea parliament "have enough weapons to defend [the buildings] for a month" according an MP quoted by Interfax agency. Former Crimean Prime Minister and UDAR MP Serhiy Kunitsyn said to the agency that he spent all the night in contact with the armed group, "These professionally trained people are armed. They brought weapons - automatic weapons, grenade launchers, and machine guns," he said, while speaking from the Ukraine parliament on Thursday.

According to Bloomberg, the group is allowing deputies to enter the legislature in the city of Simferopol for a possible vote on the status of Crimea, home to Russia’s Black Sea fleet, the Center of Journalist Research said. Ukraine prosecutors began a terrorism probe. .

“Provocateurs are on the march,” Acting Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said on his Facebook Inc. page as police cordoned off the block around parliament. “It’s time for cool heads, the consolidation of healthy forces and precise actions.”

At the same time Ukraine's Foreign Ministry summoned Russia's acting envoy in Kiev for immediate consultations.

"I am appealing to the military leadership of the Russian Black Sea fleet," said Olexander Turchinov, acting president since the removal of Viktor Yanukovich last week. "Any military movements, the more so if they are with weapons, beyond the boundaries of this territory (the base) will be seen by us as military aggression

Reports Reuters:

There were mixed signals from Moscow, which put fighter jets along its western borders on combat alert, but earlier said it would take part in discussions on an International Monetary Fund (IMF) financial package for Ukraine. Ukraine has said it needs $35 billion over the next two years to stave off bankruptcy. The fear of military escalation prompted expressions of concern from the West, with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen urging Russia not to do anything that would "escalate tension or create misunderstanding".

Polish foreign minister Radoslaw Sikorski called the seizure of government buildings in the Crimea a "very dangerous game". "This is a drastic step, and I'm warning those who did this and those who allowed them to do this, because this is how regional conflicts begin," he told a news conference.

It was not immediately known who was occupying the buildings in the regional capital Simferopol and they issued no demands, but witnesses said they spoke Russian and appeared to be ethnic Russian separatists.

Interfax news agency quoted a witness as saying there were about 60 people inside and they had many weapons. It said no one had been hurt when the buildings were seized in the early hours by Russian speakers in uniforms that did not carry identification markings.

"We were building barricades in the night to protect parliament. Then this young Russian guy came up with a pistol ... we all lay down, some more ran up, there was some shooting and around 50 went in through the window," Leonid Khazanov, an ethnic Russian, told Reuters. "They're still there ... Then the police came, they seemed scared. I asked them (the armed men) what they wanted, and they said 'To make our own decisions, not to have Kiev telling us what to do'," said Khazanov.

About 100 police were gathered in front of the parliament building, and a similar number of people carrying Russian flags later marched up to the building chanting "Russia, Russia" and holding a sign calling for a Crimean referendum. One of them, Alexei, 30, said: "We have our own constitution, Crimea is autonomous. The government in Kiev are fascists, and what they're doing is illegal ... We need to show our support for the guys inside (parliament). Power should be ours."a

As a reminder, so far Putin has been silent on his views about the sovereignty of the Crimean region which is host to the critical Russian Sevastopol naval base. Russian President Vladimir Putin has ignored calls by some ethnic Russians in Crimea to reclaim the territory handed to then Soviet Ukraine by Soviet Communist leader Nikita Khrushchev in 1954. The United States says any Russian military action would be a grave mistake. But Russia's foreign ministry said in a statement that Moscow would defend the rights of its compatriots and react without compromise to any violation of those rights.

Russian Lenta, citing the Crimean information agency, reports that the Crimean deputees have begun a referendum on the status of the Crimean autonomy, which is not quite a secession. Yet.

Elsewhere, Ukraine's deposed president, who as we reported first some time ago had fled to Russia, reappeared, as expected in Russia, and claimed legitimacy to his post saying the Ukraine's "mob" actions were illegal . From Reuters:

Ukraine's Viktor Yanukovich said on Thursday he was still the legitimate president of his country and that people in its southeastern and southern regions would never accept the "lawlessness" brought by leaders chosen by a mob. Russian news agencies quoted a statement by Yanukovich as saying he had asked Moscow to guarantee his personal safety.

The statement could not be independently verified and it was not clear where Yanukovich was, although some media groups have suggested he is in Moscow after fleeing Ukraine, where he was toppled by opposition forces at the weekend.

Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman said he had no information and could not comment on the statement.

"I, Viktor Fedorovich Yanukovich appeal to the people of Ukraine. As before I still consider myself to be the lawful head of the Ukrainian state, chosen freely by the will of the Ukrainian people," he was quoted as saying.

"Now it is becoming clear that the people in southeastern Ukraine and in Crimea do not accept the power vacuum and complete lawlessness in the country, when the heads of ministries are appointed by the mob."

"On the streets of many cities of our country there is an orgy of extremism," he said, adding that he and his closest aides had been threatened physically.

"I have to ask the Russian authorities to provide me with personal safety from the actions of extremists."

Russian television showed what it said was a copy of the statement.

Interfax news agency quoted a source in the authorities as saying Moscow would ensure Yanukovich's safety on the Russian territory.

"In connection with the appeal by president Yanukovich for his personal security to be guaranteed, I report that the request has been granted on the territory of the Russian Federation," the source was quoted as saying.

And just to make sure tensions reach a fever pitch, Interfax reported a few hours ago that Russian fighter jets along the Western Border were put on high alert:

The crews of fighter jets deployed in Russia's Western Military Districts have been placed on high alert as part of surprise combat drills ordered by Russian President and Supreme Commander-in-Chief Vladimir Putin on Wednesday, the Defense Ministry said.

"Our fighter jets are constantly patrolling the airspace over border districts," the ministry said in a press release, seen by Interfax-AVN on Thursday. "As soon as they were put on high alert, aviation units of the Western Military District redeployed to their operative air fields," it said.

At the moment, "the district's bombers are tackling combat training tasks targeting an imaginary adversary at aviation training ranges," the ministry said.

Not surprisingly, the Ukraine economy, already in critical condition, is shutting down and the Hryvnia is imploding: Ukraine’s currency weakened 10.3 percent to 11.2 per dollar at 12:21 p.m. in Kiev, the lowest level since it was introduced in 1996, data compiled by Bloomberg show. The central bank imposed capital controls this month to stem its decline.

Finally, the story in pictures as reported by Euronews:

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 07:11:19 AM »
So did Putin just take the Crimea?  :o

WHD

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hitler Invades Sudetanland!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »
Oops, I meant "Putin Invades Crimea".

Ruh Roh.

RE

Ukraine Acting President Says Russia Has Invaded Ukraine, As 2000 Russian Troops, Military Jets Arrive

Tyler Durden's picture

Here we go:

• UKRAINE ACTING PRESIDENT TURCHYNOV STARTS BRIEFING
  • UKRAINE LEADER SAYS RUSSIA STARTS AGGRESSION AGAINST COUNTRY
  • UKRAINE SAYS RUSSIA INVADED UKRAINE UNDER GUISE OF EXERCISE
  • UKRAINE LEADER SAYS RUSSIA TRYING TO PROVOKE CONFLICT
  • UKRAINE LEADER SAYS RUSSIA SEEKING TO ANNEX CRIMEA
  • UKRAINE'S TURCHYNOV SAYS WILL DEFEND ITS INDEPENDENCE
  • UKRAINE ACTING PRESIDENT ACCUSES RUSSIA OF WORKING ON A SCENARIO LIKE BEFORE WAR WITH GEORGIA

From AFP:

Russia has sent "several hundred" troops into Ukraine's Crimea region, US defense officials said Friday, after Kiev called on Moscow to withdraw its forces from the peninsula.

"It looks like they’ve moved several hundred troops there (into Crimea)," a senior defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP.

The comments marked the first confirmation from President Barack Obama's administration that Russia had launched an incursion into Crimea.

The Russians had not given the US government advance notice of the action or explained its intentions since the operation was launched, officials said.

But Pentagon officials stressed Washington was focused on diplomacy, and there was no serious consideration being given to any US military action.

"It is now in the realm of diplomacy," said a second defense official, who asked not to be named.

Officials also said they were not aware of any request from Ukraine for military assistance.

More from Interpretermag.com:

“Under the guise of military exercises, Russia has brought troops into the Autonomous Republic of Crimea. And not only have they seized the parliament of the Crimea, the Council of Ministers of the Crimea, they are trying to take civilian buildings under control, communications, and trying to block places where Ukrainian soldiers are based,” he said in an appeal to the nation.

“They are provoking us to military conflict. According to information from our intelligence, they are working out scenarios that are completely analogous to Abkhazia, when after provoking a conflict, they began annexation of territory,” the acting president emphasized.

At the same time, Ukraine Pravda is reporting that Russian military planes are now landing in the Crimea.

Russian airplanes are landing in Crimea from the direction of Russia, and a column of APCs is heading from the east toward Simferopol.

There are reports of at least 5 large IL-76 planes landing in the district of the military airfield in the town of Gvardeyskoye.

Various sources are reporting that a column of 10 Russian APCs is heading from Sevastopol toward Simfereopol.

Interfax Ukraine reports that all air traffic is halted at the Belbek Airport in Sevastopol due to the seizure of the landing strip by unknown persons.

“There are about 400 people now in the Belbek airport. They have occpuied the landing strip and any movement of planes is stopped,” said a source.

And another video of the Russian APCs: considering the number of journalists standing by, it is as if they are on parade:

Finally. AFP reports:  

• 2,000 RUSSIAN SOLDIERS LAND IN CRIMEA IN ARMED INVASION, KIEV OFFICIAL SAYS -- AFP

And more airplanes:

Some are using makeshift barricades and checkpoints to defend themselves: via Kyiv Post:

Is it starting?

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »
Just a peacekeeping mission. Making the world safe for non-Democracy and ex-KGB.

If Putin annexes the Crimea he still has to send his oil and gas through the rest of Ukraine, the part that wants nothing to do with him already. And Ukraine might kick Russia's ass. He is taking quite a risk.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »
Until today I'd never heard of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, and when Crimea was mentioned in the most recent tv news I saw, I thought it was a part of Ukraine, proper.

I'd hardly given a thought to Ukraine at all until very recently, what with it edging its way into the top of the news.

The world is too complex! How can we keep up with it?!  Now it looks like this little backwater is important.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
Wikipedia says:

"Crimea is now an autonomous parliamentary republic within Ukraine and is governed by the Constitution of Crimea in accordance with the laws of Ukraine."

Well, no wonder I was confused!  It's a country all of its ownsome. And yet.... Hmm?
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »
Even if Putin manages to take over the Ukraine Goobermint, the opposition will be sabotaging the pipelines.

NG is going to be in short supply in Europe pretty soon methinks.

Be interesting to see if the UN drops in with some kind of resolution.

Looks like we are under way here!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Ka

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »
Wikipedia says:

"Crimea is now an autonomous parliamentary republic within Ukraine and is governed by the Constitution of Crimea in accordance with the laws of Ukraine."

Well, no wonder I was confused!  It's a country all of its ownsome. And yet.... Hmm?

"Autonomous" can be a slippery term. Sicily is an "autonomous" province of Italy, which means it has a little more self-rule than other Italian provinces. But it is definitely not a separate country. If you invade Sicily, you are invading Italy, likewise, invading Crimea is invading Ukraine.

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
Even if Putin manages to take over the Ukraine Goobermint, the opposition will be sabotaging the pipelines.

RE

I think I remember seeing a map of the NG pipelines coming out of Russia from a CHS article.  And another from ZH.  Pretty  impressive.  OTOH, Fracking is gaining popularity among the bordering (AND dependent) countries.

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »

RE

Ukraine Acting President Says Russia Has Invaded Ukraine, As 2000 Russian Troops, Military Jets Arrive

embedded video plus more when you follow the link--

Here we go:

UKRAINE ACTING PRESIDENT TURCHYNOV STARTS BRIEFING
UKRAINE LEADER SAYS RUSSIA STARTS AGGRESSION AGAINST COUNTRY
UKRAINE SAYS RUSSIA INVADED UKRAINE UNDER GUISE OF EXERCISE
UKRAINE LEADER SAYS RUSSIA TRYING TO PROVOKE CONFLICT
UKRAINE LEADER SAYS RUSSIA SEEKING TO ANNEX CRIMEA
UKRAINE'S TURCHYNOV SAYS WILL DEFEND ITS INDEPENDENCE
UKRAINE ACTING PRESIDENT ACCUSES RUSSIA OF WORKING ON A SCENARIO LIKE BEFORE WAR WITH GEORGIA
From AFP:

Russia has sent "several hundred" troops into Ukraine's Crimea region, US defense officials said Friday, after Kiev called on Moscow to withdraw its forces from the peninsula.

"It looks like they’ve moved several hundred troops there (into Crimea)," a senior defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP.

The comments marked the first confirmation from President Barack Obama's administration that Russia had launched an incursion into Crimea.

The Russians had not given the US government advance notice of the action or explained its intentions since the operation was launched, officials said.

But Pentagon officials stressed Washington was focused on diplomacy, and there was no serious consideration being given to any US military action.

"It is now in the realm of diplomacy," said a second defense official, who asked not to be named.

Officials also said they were not aware of any request from Ukraine for military assistance.
More from Interpretermag.com:

“Under the guise of military exercises, Russia has brought troops into the Autonomous Republic of Crimea. And not only have they seized the parliament of the Crimea, the Council of Ministers of the Crimea, they are trying to take civilian buildings under control, communications, and trying to block places where Ukrainian soldiers are based,” he said in an appeal to the nation.

“They are provoking us to military conflict. According to information from our intelligence, they are working out scenarios that are completely analogous to Abkhazia, when after provoking a conflict, they began annexation of territory,” the acting president emphasized.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 09:18:47 PM »
Until today I'd never heard of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, and when Crimea was mentioned in the most recent tv news I saw, I thought it was a part of Ukraine, proper.

I'd hardly given a thought to Ukraine at all until very recently, what with it edging its way into the top of the news.

The world is too complex! How can we keep up with it?!  Now it looks like this little backwater is important.

Never heard of the crimean war? Including ukraine the area has been a sometimes battleground for centuries, I noticed when you play the boardgame which name I forget now, where the object is to take over the world crimea gets taken and retaken a lot.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »

I think I remember seeing a map of the NG pipelines coming out of Russia from a CHS article.  And another from ZH.  Pretty  impressive.  OTOH, Fracking is gaining popularity among the bordering (AND dependent) countries.

I don't think fracking could make up for the shortfall if there is interruption of Gazprom NG coming across the pipelines.

Basically the Ruskies are in a similar position as NATO down in MENA, they have to protect the transit routes for the energy inside the countries that have such pipelines running through them, which of course is about all of them.

This amounts to a War over Valves.  He who controls the Valve controls the flow of energy from one place to another.

Thing is, even if Putin controls the valves in Crimea, there are still more valves to the west.  He'll have to roll over the whole of the Ukraine to keep the supply lines intact.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN