AuthorTopic: Garden Update  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Garden Update
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:17:57 AM »
Well, my cheap little hoop garden survived the mild winter. I had a few surprises though. The lettuce planted in the ground inside the hoop that I also covered in plastic jugs, died. I caught a few slugs hiding in there, but I don't think that's what killed them. The collards look like they are going to bloom.

The carrots and the lettuce I had planted in containers and one Bibb planted directly in the soil did just fine. They were pretty much dormant, but they look great.

The onions and garlic I planted last fall also look great. I didn't even put straw over them. Anyone else have plants winter over? Starting seeds? I'm trying peanuts this year as an experiment.

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Garden Update
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:00:35 PM »
Today I planted some chitted potatoes from last year's garden into some planting bags. Pretty narly looking! I had these in a metal trash can under a desk in my basement office.

As I was taking out the old soil, I came across some potatoes that survived the winter buried under 6" of soil just fine. This year, I'll only bring in what I need and leave the rest outside.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »
Please keep us posted. Since I think vegetables come in plastic bags, I have a lot to learn.
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline ross

• Global Moderator
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I have a bunch of greens going inside and have started some tomato seeds from last year that were left over.

I need to get busy amending and adding some compost to last years beds. Not quite ready to plant yet. I'll probably shoot to have some cool crops like kale and chard and maybe some fava beans in by April 1st.

Offline ross

• Global Moderator
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »
Also, a neat tool I've come across which is just launching in a beta test.

smartgardener.com

It is a front-end for planning the layout and timing of your garden.

JB, I thought you might find it useful.

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 07:23:47 AM »
Thanks for the link, Ross.

I buy all my seeds from a local supplier: http://www.southernexposure.com/

Right now I have snow peas, brocolli, spinach, two types of lettuce, peanuts, peppers and some tomato seeds planted. The collards are blooming and there are some nice looking buds on the blueberries.

Sunday I planted the potatoes and worked on one of my raised beds. Last fall I scored some wide plank flooring from a posting in the 'FREE' section on the local Craig's List. I used some of it to build up the height of the bed. Unfortunately, my compost pile is about depleted; will have to buy some garden soil this weekend.