PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Installing Solar Becoming Affordable?

AuthorTopic: Installing Solar Becoming Affordable?  (Read 7322 times)

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Installing Solar Becoming Affordable?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »
We have been grid tied for 3 yrs now so I thought I would chime in. We don't have and weren't required to have a $4500 switch. We installed 12 210 watt panels that run our house and usually the utility company owes us money. We spent a $13,400 then we got a 30% tax credit leaving us paying $9000 something. By installing the panels we have a warranty of 25 yrs so we have set our rates for that long. We also used to run an electric car for in town transportation off of the panels but the car was a piece of junk. We now use electric assist bikes. Thanks for reading.

Would love to know more. Very interesting approach!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RickS

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
Hi Surly. After I retired off of the Mississippi working on barges I thought I should get my bills really low, I didn't want to read by candle when I'm 80 because I can't afford my utility bills. We also have solar hot water, foam insulated house, a wood cookstove that heats the house, cooks our food and we are installing a water jackets so it will tie in with the solar hot water on the roof. We also grow part of our food. We live in the middle of a pretty big city so we don't have to travel far to get places. I've been reading some great posts on this site, love it!

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
Great to have you here, rick. Lots of interest here on sustainable living and energy issues, to be sure.
Welcome!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline CodeyellowPillMonkeyagain

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »
Had a quick visit to Ontario, Canada  last month where I learned about the solar arrays folks are buying there.  They are spending about 62,000 as an investment and sell back to Ontario Hydro.  Thought I was impressed with all the wind mills on their side of Lake Eerie, but these panels are amazing to see too. They are getting about 1500 a month back from their power company. 

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 11:05:35 PM »
Codeyellowpillmonkeyagain,
I read this at Grist which shows why we still pay too much for panels. In another article at Smartplanet I read the solar panels (up till now about 20 to 25% efficient) have now been tweaked to 33%. That's a huge increase in efficiency and it means less roof space to get a lot more power. It didn't say when the new ones will be out but you can bet the current ones are going to get much cheaper in order to move them before the new ones are on the market.
Here's the Grist cost comparison between the U.S. and Germany;
http://grist.org/solar-power/why-we-pay-double-for-solar-in-america-but-wont-forever/
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline CodeyellowPillMonkeyagain

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 11:14:10 AM »
Thanks AG!  The good ol USA is off the chart there.  Shameful.  I'm taking on-line course with SEI, and found this  comment in regards to conserving energy.  I'm putting it here to show that a lady did win her case in TN. regarding being off the grid.

That makes so much sense.  I don't understand why we don't have them here. Oh, lets see, maybe because we are all about the big companies making a buck. Yes, I feel it was premeditated not to have those. Since people are just now finding out about Phantom appliance's know corporations knew about this but didn't share this knowledge. I had a relative who lived in the mountains of Tennessee and died at the age of 97. Her home never had power. The government tried to condemn her house based on that even though it was structurally sound. She went to court and won, she said her parents survived without power in that house and she had her entire life, why should she have to pay to have power run in and through so she could pay them and make them rich.  I certainly agreed with her. She lived off the land and owed no one anything. She wasn't lining the pockets of others with her hard earned money. I look at our societies and see how the government tries to interfere with those who attempt not to rely on them and I think it is shameful. This simply switch is one of those methods, it removes our options of a switch, so we then have to buy power strips in order to save time of the constantly plugging/unplugging.

This was about how the US doesn't have individual socket switches as the Aussies do, BTW.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »
CodeyellowPillMonkeyAgain,
You are welcome. There is so much backdoor coercion in this country that it can be hard to navigate life without being regularly fleeced by TPTB. It's pretty clear that a lot of this footdragging by our government for renewable energy technology implementation while making a lot of noise about how they are all for it is based on the inability of corporations to meter the sun's power. They absolutely HATE that. That fine and brave lady that was able to maintain her life without a grid connection was hitting back TWO ways. Not only was she giving all of us an example of a low carbon footprint life which harmonizes with the environment, but in addition she was forcing the county or town appraisers to keep her property taxes low because she didn't have "improvements". I've looked at town ordinances and there are many ways they rig things to make people move through the fleecing maze. For example, here in Vermont you can legally build a house with your own two hands without requiring a permit but when you go to dig a well, you have to use an "approved" well driller UNLESS you dig it yourself WITHOUT power tools. That's right; you are allowed to dig your own well as long as you do it with a shovel! And then there's the septic system. Just try to claim you are going to use your gray water for crops and your waste water for composting. They'll say you can do that AFTER you have spent several thousand dollars on an APPROVED septic system by an APPROVED septic system builder so that your "other" system doesn't  "contaminate the watershed".  They say you can wire your own house BUT you need to pass an APPROVED electrician's inspection before you can tie into the grid. And just try to get a building loan if you don't have one AC socket every 12 feet or so according to "code". It's not going to happen. All these hoops are there to milk you for the benefit of some local industry. I'm all for local industry based on quality and good will but I think it's bullshit to coerce people to fit in some fleece-a-minute straight jacket. Buckminster Fuller ran into all that crap and was supremely frustrated by it. Even the type of building construction we are used to is outdated as far as energy efficiency by a century or so. If houses were mostly round and dome shaped, half the damage that now occurs in severe weather would never have occurred, not to mention how cheap they are to cool and heat. But tell that to the building code Nazis.
A lot of people in the mini-mafias in town councils all over this country are going slowly insane. Here in Colchester, with wages flat or falling since 2008, what does the Town do? They jack up the property taxes 40%! NUTS! If they had a lick of sense they would change the property tax formula to make taxes directly proprotional to carbon footprint. Of course TPTB will fight to the end, not just to prevent that, but to even allow a national discussion on the issue. 
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.