AuthorTopic: Only Fools and Newcomers Predict Texas Weather, er, I Mean Politics  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Kinky Friedman is running again for public office in Texas (for Land Commissioner), and this time he just made the cut for a run-off in the Democratic primary.

Of course, neither Friedman, nor his Democrat rival Jim Hogan has a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected, because one of them has to run against the Baby Bush, George Prescott Bush, son of Jeb. He's the Spanish speaking Great Hope of the GOP for the future, and destined to be President someday, unless demographics make the GOP completely obsolete. My guess is that by that time, the GOP will have to look a lot different than it does now, but that's another story.

I think Kinky's campaign is interesting, because it clearly shows what happens when an interested, fair-minded, and fairly bright citizen tries to get involved in the political process in this country.

Although he runs (he's run for Governor once and this makes twice for Land Commissioner) as a  Democrat, the Texas Democratic Party apparatchiks take special care to distance themselves from Kinky, because he isn't part of anybody's political machine. That is to say, if he WERE elected, he MIGHT actually vote in the interest of his constituents instead of the Big Money that owns this state and dictates its politics.

That my friends is an eventuality that absolutely cannot be tolerated, and so the Democrats will act like he is an embarrassment, and Baby Bush will get all the Koch Brother's money and Big Oil money and Big Ag money he needs to run ads that make Kinky look like an over-the-hill Cowboy Hippie who doesn't know the first thing about how to participate in state government, and somebody who will be SURE to cost the state JOBS, don'tcha know. Can't have that.

This is a country that was originally supposed to be run by citizens, doing their civic duty for their state and their country, and then returning home to take care of making their own living. Nowadays, nothing is more alien to our political thinking than that. Instead, we have a permanent political class, made up of photogenic stuffed shirts like Governor Perry, who get rich from the crumbs off their owners' table. Always willing to ask "how high" and "which direction" when their puppet masters say "jump". Rick Perry has actually never held a real job in his life. Not bad work if you can get it, and if all your shady backroom dealing can stay swept under the rug. (And if you can stay on-script and not try to make up your own sentences.)

Kinky has made a living for the last twenty years or more as a novelist and a kind of Jewish Will Rogers humorist. He might not be a rocket scientist, but he's no dummy.

Will I vote for Kinky if he wins the run-off? You're damn right I will. I don't expect him to make the general election, but who knows, his rival might get sick and have to drop out or something.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:45:49 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Only Fools and Newcomers Predict Texas Weather, er, I Mean Politics
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:56:08 AM »
Kinky Friedman is running again for public office in Texas (for Land Commissioner), and this time he just made the cut for a run-off in the Democratic primary.

Of course, neither Friedman, nor his Democrat rival Jim Hogan has a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected, because one of them has to run against the Baby Bush, George Prescott Bush, son of Jeb. He's the Spanish speaking Great Hope of the GOP for the future, and destined to be President someday, unless demographics make the GOP completely obsolete. My guess is that by that time, the GOP will have to look a lot different than it does now, but that's another story.

I think Kinky's campaign is interesting, because it clearly shows what happens when an interested, fair-minded, and fairly bright citizen tries to get involved in the political process in this country.

Although he runs (he's run for Governor once and this make twice for Land Commissioner) as a  Democrat, the Texas Democratic Party apparatchiks take special care to distance themselves from Kinky, because he isn't part of anybody's political machine. That is to say, if he WERE elected, he MIGHT actually vote in the interest of his constituents instead of the Big Money that owns this state and dictates its politics.

That my friends is an eventuality that absolutely cannot be tolerated, and so the Democrats will act like he is an embarrassment, and Baby Bush will get all the Koch Brother's money and Big Oil money and Big Ag money he needs to run ads that make Kinky look like an over-the-hill Cowboy Hippie who doesn't know the first thing about how to participate in state government, and somebody who will be SURE to cost the state JOBS, don'tcha know. Can't have that.

This is a country that was originally supposed to be run by citizens, doing their civic duty for their state and their country, and then returning home to take care of making their own living. Nowadays, nothing is more alien to our political thinking than that. Instead, we have a permanent political class, made up of photogenic stuffed shirts like Governor Perry, who get rich from the crumbs of their owners' table. Always willing to ask "how high" and "which direction" when their puppet masters say "jump". Rick Perry has actually never held a real job in his life. Not bad work if you can get it, and if all your shady backroom dealing can stay swept under the rug. (And if you can stay on-script and not try to make up your own sentences.)

Kinky has made a living for the last twenty years or more as a novelist and a kind of Jewish Will Rogers humorist. He might not be a rocket scientist, but he's no dummy.

Will I vote for Kinky if he wins the run-off? You're damn right I will. I don't expect him to make the general election, but who knows, his rival might get sick and have to drop out or something.

good post, good luck kinky.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME