AuthorTopic: Gold & Silver News  (Read 453585 times)

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Gold & Silver News
« Reply #2430 on: September 11, 2018, 07:21:55 AM »
Do you think the families who were rich in Japan in 1892 are poor now, just because of the destruction of the Yen?

I don't think that's true, although real intergenerational wealth in Japan is a newer phenomenon than in the US. There are reasons that go beyond inflation, in explaining that.

More so probably because of the way earthquakes have destroyed the value of Japanese real estate periodically. Not to mention WWII.

Nothing is ever simple. Nothing. Not when money is involved, and taxation, and politics.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: September 11, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »
Nothing is ever simple. Nothing. Not when money is involved, and taxation, and politics.

If you have late stage Alzheimers and are obsessed with Gold, everything is simple.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: September 11, 2018, 07:57:41 AM »

If you have late stage Alzheimers and are obsessed with Gold, everything is simple.

RE

Adam Smith did not have late stage Alzheimers nor was he obsessed with gold.

Like fiat versus gold, his statement was simple and the genius explained it well.

Adam Smith & Economics
'Wealth of Nations'

After toiling for nine years, in 1776 Smith published An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations (usually shortened to The Wealth of Nations), which is thought of as the first work dedicated to the study of political economy. Economics of the time were dominated by the idea that a country’s wealth was best measured by its store of gold and silver. Smith proposed that a nation’s wealth should be judged not by this metric but by the total of its production and commerce—today known as gross domestic product (GDP). He also explored theories of the division of labor, an idea dating back to Plato, through which specialization would lead to a qualitative increase in productivity.
Adam Smith's Main Beliefs

Smith’s ideas are a reflection on economics in light of the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, and he states that free-market economies (i.e., capitalist ones) are the most productive and beneficial to their societies. He goes on to argue for an economic system based on individual self-interest led by an “invisible hand,” which would achieve the greatest good for all.

In time, The Wealth of Nations won Smith a far-reaching reputation, and the work, considered a foundational work of classical economics, is one of the most influential books ever written.

“The problem with fiat money is that it rewards the minority that can handle money, but fools the generation that has worked and saved money.”

– Adam Smith

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: September 11, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »

RE

If Smith did not have late stage Alzheimer's, he was mentally retarded from birth.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: September 11, 2018, 08:19:23 AM »

RE

If Smith did not have late stage Alzheimer's, he was mentally retarded from birth.

RE

Thank's for your cogent reply and interest in the matter.

As always, your insights are invaluable pearls of knowledge and wisdom that I truly treasure.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: September 11, 2018, 08:20:18 AM »
Adam Smith lived before the income tax. LOL.

And....he believed very strongly in what we now call "trickle down economics" which is pretty questionable thinking, just based on the rising wealth inequality we see today.

I think he was right about it, in his own historic period of time. And it's still somewhat true...but it seems like we have reached a point of diminishing returns now, and it doesn't work WELL anymore.

Poor people in rich countries today live pretty well in historical terms. But "trickle down" works way LESS well than it did for poor people 105 years ago, when they got to keep what they earned.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: September 11, 2018, 08:43:32 AM »

RE

RE

Thank's for your cogent reply and interest in the matter.

As always, your insights are invaluable pearls of knowledge and wisdom that I truly treasure.

Dripping sarcasm is a violation of the CoC.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: September 11, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »
But far preferable to throwing pig shit. (jmho)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: September 11, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »

Not in my book.  It's a provocation, and I will bring Nolan Ryan RE out of the Bullpen to counter it if I feel it necessary.  I don't take shit like that lying down.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: September 11, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »
He's still alive and hawking air conditioners on the radio here. You know he owns the local AAA team, I guess.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2440 on: September 11, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »

Not in my book.  It's a provocation, and I will bring Nolan Ryan RE out of the Bullpen to counter it if I feel it necessary.  I don't take shit like that lying down.

RE

So WTF is he supposed to do? You already have him on a short leash with moderation.

I think you're overreacting. But then what do I know? I'm a refugee.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: September 11, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
He's still alive and hawking air conditioners on the radio here. You know he owns the local AAA team, I guess.

No, did not know he owns a local AAA team in TX.

My  memories of Nolan Ryan come from when he was a Rookie and member of the "Miracle" NY Mets pitching staff of 1969, that included also Tom Seaver and the Bullpen King of the Era, Tug McGraw.  Nolan was wild as all hell then, he was like the "Wild Thing" character in Major League.  But he threw so fucking hard all the time it scared the shit out of everyone, including pretty fearless batters like Pete Rose.  In those years, Nolan didn't even HAVE a curve ball to speak of, just a sorta changeup.  It was only after he developed his curve ball he became so devastating.  But in 1969 from the Bleachers in Shea Stadium, it was fun to watch Nolan pitch.  There was no guessing what was coming down the pipe.  Nolan threw SMOKE on every pitch.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Mi3KNEpbA4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8Mi3KNEpbA4</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: September 11, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »

RE

RE

The cat may have elite bloodline dysfunction. Was last in line at the gravy train for DNA diversity.

Were his eyes to close together like 43's. There's your tell !
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: September 11, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »
Thanks Surly,
                     Good luck and don't forget your not a kid anymore. Double check the Meds, take more than you think you will need just in case. Bring all the cash you can muster in case the plastic system goes down. Double check on any valuables.

Feel for you Surly, This one sounds like a bad scene, keep your fingers crossed and don't dilly dally.   

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Gold & Silver News - 2300 oz. nugget discovered - B@@M
« Reply #2444 on: September 11, 2018, 03:39:10 PM »

AN underground mine in WA's Goldfields has produced what its owner believes are two of the biggest gold specimens in recorded history in what has been described as a "once-in-a-lifetime" discovery.

Since last weekend, RNC Minerals has been tallying the bonanza haul from a single cut of rock blasted about 500m underground at the 45-year-old Beta Hunt gold mine near Kambalda, 600km east of Perth and 50km south of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

The biggest of the stones came in at 90kg and is estimated by the company to contain about 2300 ounces of gold, a total that at current prices would be worth about $3.8 million.

https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/wa-driller-uncovers-behemoth-gold-nugget-possibly-/3517226/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind