PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Diner Convocation Photo Contest

AuthorTopic: Diner Convocation Photo Contest  (Read 4398 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Diner Convocation Photo Contest
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
Diner Convocation Photo Contest

Presented by GM & RE.  Guess who shot what:

WHD Trib
WHD Trib

Pump1
Pump1

LD Eddie
LD Eddie

Tree Eddi
Tree Eddi

Eddie Tree
Eddie Tree

WHD Zen
WHD Zen

Eddie Computer
Eddie Computer

Water
Water

GM & RE
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:08:38 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Diner Convocation Photo Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »
GM: WHD Trib, Tree Eddi, WHD Zen, Water
RE: Pump1, LD Eddie, Eddie Tree, Eddie Computer
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 04:17:57 AM »
GM: WHD Trib, Tree Eddi, WHD Zen, Water
RE: Pump1, LD Eddie, Eddie Tree, Eddie Computer

My choices identical to JD's.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 05:02:30 AM »
In terms of who shot what I would agree with Surly/jdwheeler however in terms of which photos are the best I would rate them from best to worst in this order:

1 - WHD Trib (GM)
2 - Water (GM)
3 - LD Eddie (RE)
4 - WHD Zen (GM)
5 - Pump (RE)
6 - Tree Eddi (GM)
7 - Eddie Tree (RE)
8 - Eddie Computer (RE)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 05:48:18 AM »
Too EZ.  We'll make the next one harder.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:34:45 AM »
How 'bout a picture of LD and RE standing back to back?  :icon_mrgreen:
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »

RE

I didnt really look at who picked what, but its predictable. Im betting everyone picked pictures of LD and kids as GM's and pictures taken of objects up too close for farsighted people as yours. I thought you would have seen this coming long ago and gone out of your way to take shirtless or shower fotos of LD LOL,

Also that as your photography improved you would have made the association with that you were zooming out more.  but GM also knows exactly when and how to zoom right in and show details normally missed by the naked eye.

You didnt foresee those factors as making it easy. You are then probably also not smart enough to know that we will look at the  light vs dark of the two fotos and colour brightness, contrast etc to see which camera works which way in the same day. To make it harder you need to change all the settings you can to throw us off or wait for a cloud to go over or suns going down if the fotos are coming all at the end of a day.

The problem then is that you dont take the best foto you can, and the viewers soon catch on the dark fotos are yours the next day, so you gotta get ahead by some other mix. People will work from the title as much as the picture, so try and girl it up if you want to make it harder to pick.

eg I thought the guy in the red sweater was haniel, anyway before I checked the result just then when I first saw the foto I noticed the guy was not on the computer and the computer was quite missable, really yet the person was framed to the side so the uninteresting and unrelated to eddie in interesting bright red and not in a prepared moment, but laptop was central.

At family functions the person always taking video of everyone unprepared is always a man, women being appearance conscious and considerate so dead giveaway, all serious face shots will be yours because you are not a considerate woman. And you love computers, so the otherwise incidental computer was worthy of mention in the title. I want titles from you like Love Live Life, and GM needs to say Creek or River instead of Water if its going to be harder because the names are giveaways.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:43:11 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:23:14 PM »
Good luck with that.... maybe I'll hold back giving my answers  ;)

Now, if you really want to make things interesting, try having RE take some on GM's equipment and vice versa.  I'll bet I will have no clue which camera is which.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 10:48:41 PM »

Now, if you really want to make things interesting, try having RE take some on GM's equipment and vice versa.  I'll bet I will have no clue which camera is which.

It's pretty EZ because our ISO settings were different, so you can tell the difference.  Once you can identify one, you got them all.  The next plan was to go out together and shoot similar scenes with the same settings.  Then we were going to pull the Camera Switch idea.

However, I am off to Monolithic tomorrow, and GM won't be there.  So we might get one more chance after the course next weekend.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 07:18:42 AM »
A rainy April weekend in the Texas Hill country is a delightful time and place to just enjoy being outside.

I think WHD took over 300 photos himself, and many of them are superb. Looking at the 'stead through the eyes of others as I viewed the pics last night reminded me that I am really lucky to have the stewardship of a truly sacred place. It means a lot to me when someone who has never been there before walks the creek and just gets it, understands immediately why I love the place so much. WHD gets it. LD and GM get it.

Thanks for getting it, you all.

To Surly, Monsta, UB and others who couldn't make it: You were there in our hearts and our conversations.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:50:39 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
eg I thought the guy in the red sweater was haniel, anyway before I checked the result just then when I first saw the foto I noticed the guy was not on the computer and the computer was quite missable, really yet the person was framed to the side so the uninteresting and unrelated to eddie in interesting bright red and not in a prepared moment, but laptop was central.

That's RE's laptop center frame, it lacked anti-virus and was loaded with bloatware from the manufacturer.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »

It's pretty EZ because our ISO settings were different, so you can tell the difference.  Once you can identify one, you got them all.  The next plan was to go out together and shoot similar scenes with the same settings.  Then we were going to pull the Camera Switch idea.

However, I am off to Monolithic tomorrow, and GM won't be there.  So we might get one more chance after the course next weekend.

RE
Sure the blur was iso, not from the same shaking evident in the boomerang vid? Just kidding  ;D the alaska ones were stable. I think it wont matter if you swap cameras if you dont do the signature things such as setting up the scene, like move a sticking up stalk out from the front of the subject before you shoot. I recall a bipolar lady showed me her album and she made weddings look so fairytale perfect that the average looks of the bride and groom were out of place, otoh I had a real estate photographer come and even though he was over 6 foot he used a low tripod and resulted he took half the useless foreground instead of the valley view. Your X chromosome is a distinct disadvantage, no pressure....
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 03:37:06 AM »
A rainy April weekend in the Texas Hill country is a delightful time and place to just enjoy being outside.

I think WHD took over 300 photos himself, and many of them are superb. Looking at the 'stead through the eyes of others as I viewed the pics last night reminded me that I am really lucky to have the stewardship of a truly sacred place. It means a lot to me when someone who has never been there before walks the creek and just gets it, understands immediately why I love the place so much. WHD gets it. LD and GM get it.

Thanks for getting it, you all.

To Surly, Monsta, UB and others who couldn't make it: You were there in our hearts and our conversations.

Thank you.

Reading this after reading MKing's latest attempt to ratchet KK up into another bilefest was quite welcome and much appreciated.

As you noted in another post, the words of those others who wish to quite literally piss on or mock the efforts of others speak for themselves.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Right Stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
I finally got my  Right Stuff video after the Diners completed their first Mission Hanging Rebar and Blowing Foam.  :icon_mrgreen:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zx3LMBhxjBY?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Zx3LMBhxjBY?feature=player_detailpage</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XbJH7Id_p0o?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XbJH7Id_p0o?feature=player_detailpage</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can