AuthorTopic: The Daily Meme  (Read 346822 times)

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Daily Meme
« Reply #2595 on: July 03, 2020, 02:08:17 PM »
Naming hurricanes after people, such as Katrina, has been a bit off-putting for me, too.

I realize calling hurricanes N-49-6 isn't all that exciting, though.  But--luckily--Covid-19 wasn't called Joseph or Samantha.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
White Women Demand ‘Karen’ Be Labeled a Racial Slur
« Reply #2596 on: July 03, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »
White Women Demand ‘Karen’ Be Labeled a Racial Slur

As white women throwing public temper tantrums to leverage their privilege over others have come to be commonly known as “Karens,” a group of middle aged white women is asking prominent civil rights groups to join them in labeling the nickname, which they refer to as “the K-word,” as a racial slur.

“I cannot think of a single non-white woman who has ever been called a ‘Karen’,” said Karen Riley, founder of the group Karens Against Really Enraging Nicknames, or KAREN. “So it’s clearly racist. If I ever hear anyone use that word around me, you can bet I’ll be calling their manager!”

According to KAREN, only white women are allowed to call each other “Karen” as part of an attempt to reclaim the word.

“Anyone else really needs to refrain from using ‘Karen’ at all,” said Riley. “Even if you’re just singing along with popular song lyrics, or if you claim that you’re using it in a ‘friendly’ way, like saying ‘Kara’ without the hard N at the end, we can always tell your real intentions.”

Of course, not everyone agrees that “Karen” is a racially insensitive term that is used to silence white women. Many argue that it is a fair way to call out the weaponization of white privilege against people of color, such as calling the police on innocent people who are just living their lives.

“Inventing oppression when, in reality, there is nothing happening to us is our natural defense mechanism,” said Becky Taylor, a noted Karen. “If I feel the need to have an innocent black man arrested for parking his car in the street directly in front of my house, I shouldn’t be subjected to reverse racism for it.”

When asked how she would feel if the roles were reversed, Taylor quickly said she had much respect for Aunt Jemima and then immediately called the cops.

From the Tacoma Torch
 :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: July 03, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »

Please be nice to women named Karen! Stop abusing their names!

https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2020/07/readers-respond-in-defense-of-karens.html

"Karen" was already in the zeitgeist as the tag for the middle aged white woman with swollen and enlarged entitlements,  prone to call 9-1-1 because someone was walking/grilling/picnicking/building a deck/breathing while black.

How the name 'Karen' became a stand-in for problematic white women and a hugely popular meme
https://www.insider.com/karen-meme-origin-the-history-of-calling-women-karen-white-2020-5

It didn't start here, and it sure as hell won't end here.

Oh, gosh, I was fully aware that it didn't start here in the Diner, and that few people are reading the Diner forum!

So why get all bent out of shape if somebody uses the term?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: July 03, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »
You may have been a child prodigy, Boy Genius, but your superior intellect has obviously slid very far down from its high perch.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2599 on: July 03, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »
Naming hurricanes after people, such as Katrina, has been a bit off-putting for me, too.

I realize calling hurricanes N-49-6 isn't all that exciting, though.  But--luckily--Covid-19 wasn't called Joseph or Samantha.

You might enjoy this:
Why Hurricanes and Tropical Storms Were Only Named After Women
Personal vendettas played out in the names of hurricanes.

https://www.history.com/news/why-hurricanes-and-tropical-storms-were-only-named-after-women

An excerpt:

For at least 150 years, storm names were “fraught with racism and sexism, personal preferences and vendettas,” reports Atlas Obscura. “[T]heir names have also been borrowed from places and saints, wives and girlfriends, and disliked public figures.”

Although there was plenty of precedent for naming storms after both women and men, the U.S. decided in the early 1950s to settle on a system that only used female names. It’s not entirely clear why, but the maritime tradition of referring to the ocean as a woman may have played a factor.

Once these storms took on female names, weathermen began talking about them as if they were women. They used sexist clichés to describe their behavior—saying that this one was “temperamental,” or that another was “teasing” or “flirting” with a coastline.

Understandably, female meteorologists and feminists activists weren’t impressed.

Roxcy Bolton, Florida's leading women's rights activist, with Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1956. (Credit: State Archives of Florida)

Roxcy Bolton, Florida’s leading women’s rights activist, with Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1956. (Credit: State Archives of Florida)

One of these dissenters was a Roxcy Bolton, the Florida feminist “credited with founding the nation’s first rape treatment center and who helped persuade national weather forecasters not to name tropical storms after only women,” according to her New York Times obituary (Bolton died earlier in May 2017). “Women, Ms. Bolton said at the time, ‘deeply resent being arbitrarily associated with disaster.’”

Campaigns by Bolton and other women eventually persuaded the U.S. to start using male names again in 1979, but it didn’t happen without a fight. Some argued that male-named hurricanes wouldn’t be as feared as ones with female names—which is actually the opposite of how people react to hurricane names today, a study last year found.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: July 03, 2020, 03:33:18 PM »
You may have been a child prodigy, Boy Genius, but your superior intellect has obviously slid very far down from its high perch.

Pffffttt.  Play me a game of Chess sometime, Mr. Critical Theory.  See how far that gets you.  I bet you dollars to doughnuts I would squash you in even fewer moves than it took to crush Eddie.

RE
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:35:23 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2601 on: July 04, 2020, 04:52:28 AM »

Oh, gosh, I was fully aware that it didn't start here in the Diner, and that few people are reading the Diner forum!

You might be surprised. I often am.
As I type this at 7:48 AM on a Saturday morning, I am the only registered user logged on. Yet there are 53 Guests, 1 User (that's me),  and 3 Spiders or web crawlers.

The data:
Users active in past 15 minutes:
Surly1, Google (3)
Most Online Today: 81. Most Online Ever: 1294 (January 14, 2020, 10:43:42 AM)

Amazing to think there were nearly 1300 people here are one time this year. They come for the memes, but they stay for the warmth.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2602 on: July 04, 2020, 06:10:45 AM »

The worst outcrop of herd life [is] the military system, which I abhor. That a man can take pleasure in marching in fours to the strains of a band is enough to make me despise him. He has only been given his big brain by mistake; unprotected spinal marrow was all he needed. This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them! How vile and despicable war seems to me! I would rather be hacked in pieces than take part in such an abominable business."---Albert Einstein

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2603 on: July 04, 2020, 08:31:53 AM »

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: July 04, 2020, 08:50:07 AM »
Well, there is leaving your country and leaving your country.

Once upon a time, long ago now, I was an American--having been born in the land which was commonly called The United States of America. I was fed on fairly tales about the USA from when I was knee high to a snake. And then I learned the true history, and the true present, and I haven't been a true American ever since. So it isn't my country -- though the land is in me to the core. I love this land! I am this land.

I'd leave America in a hot minute, and never return, if I could find a decent country which would welcome me. Not for a visit, mind you, a vacation.... No. I'd never return. Not until the people here abandoned ship or were seriously abandoning it. The ship of state, that is. The state being the rapists and murderers, of course.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 04, 2020, 10:10:21 AM »
Unless you revoke your citizenship, legally you're an Ameriikan.  Financially, if you file a Tax Return to the IRS, you're an Amerikan.

Things are no better anywhere else.  Every country on earth is a shithole.  About the best you can do is buy a sailboat and live permanently at Sea, like Philip Nolan.  But then if you revoke your FSoA citizenship and do not have  a Passport from some country, you can never legally make port anywhere, even just to repair the boat.

So like it or not, legally speaking you are likely to be an Amerikan until the day you die.  That's the only Exit Door.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5ZS444ZyGpQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5ZS444ZyGpQ</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2606 on: July 04, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »

I'd leave America in a hot minute, and never return, if I could find a decent country which would welcome me. Not for a visit, mind you, a vacation.... No. I'd never return. Not until the people here abandoned ship or were seriously abandoning it. The ship of state, that is. The state being the rapists and murderers, of course.

Find me a "decent country." I tend to agree with RE. As to the ship of state being the rapists and murderers, they either are the owners or work for them, so that's not happening.

In the short term, Trump is like a man who’s about to lose his house to the bank — so, out of pique and self-loathing, he torches it. On his way out of office, he’s burning our house down.

In the long term, he's just the latest manifestation of the same rotten system, that has for the last four years let looters and grifters run riot without oversight.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2607 on: July 04, 2020, 10:42:54 AM »
Lev Parnas (a parody account)
@lev_parnas
·
12h
If nothing else, Coronavirus isn’t the smallest or most disturbing thing that Kimberly Guilfoyle has had inside of her.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2608 on: July 06, 2020, 04:04:58 AM »

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 06, 2020, 05:43:50 AM »

Translation from Woke to English:

You white people just shut the fuck up.

Because anti-racism.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.