AuthorTopic: The Daily Meme  (Read 259006 times)

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Daily Meme
« Reply #1965 on: July 10, 2018, 12:23:58 PM »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 10, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »
I've been watching some great interviews with the late Shelby Foote. To my mind he is the very embodiment of the best parts of the old South, the part that is gone forever now, for better or worse.

His favorite writer was Marcel Proust. He read "The Remembrance of things Past" nine times in his lifetime, beginning at 17. Every time he felt that he had made a big achievement (like finishing his books on the Civil War, which took him 20 years) he read it again to reward himself.

Will Percy. Walker Percy. Shelby Foote. I wish John Grisham, or somebody of that caliber, would write about those people. Their real life stories would make a fascinating book, I think.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9J8P6WfS7w&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9J8P6WfS7w&fs=1</a>

I watched a utoob that's since been taken down, in which Shelby speaks very frankly to a young black interviewer about racism and Jim Crow. It was heartbreaking for me to watch. You could tell it was very difficult for him to to talk about it.. A very honest and accurate depiction of how things were in the deep south when he was a boy in the 1920's and 30's. I'm sorry I can't find it anymore. I'd like to post it.

Shelby Foote knew more about the Civil War than just about anybody. He made its narrative history his life's work. Yet to  the SJW's of today, he was a racist. (He must have been lying, because he didn't give footnotes. What a crock.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:42:56 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: July 10, 2018, 02:08:08 PM »
Damn if somebody didn't put it back up, so here it is. The part I was talking about starts around minute 11. Apologies to anyone who finds it offensive. I'm not posting it to be offensive. This is the honest truth of the way things really  were in places like Mississippi in the 1920's and 30's. Shelby was born in 1916, which makes him a couple of years older than my late father-in-law. He's gone now too, of course.

Doesn't want to embed. here's the link.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?170042-1/shelby-foote-faulkner

He could be talking about my wife's grandfather, who lived and labored in the same trade as mine (in Natchez), in the days before penicillin. He was a compassionate man, but he had a separate entrance for blacks in his office. My wife can remember that. I don't go back that far with their family. I never knew him, but I knew his son, who was also a dentist. He's dead too, now.

You can tell people from Mississippi. The make it a 3 syllable word. The rest of us make it four.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:38:49 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1968 on: July 10, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »
I've been watching some great interviews with the late Shelby Foote. To my mind he is the very embodiment of the best parts of the old South, the part that is gone forever now, for better or worse.

His favorite writer was Marcel Proust. He read "The Remembrance of things Past" nine times in his lifetime, beginning at 17. Every time he felt that he had made a big achievement (like finishing his books on the Civil War, which took him 20 years) he read it again to reward himself.

Will Percy. Walker Percy. Shelby Foote. I wish John Grisham, or somebody of that caliber, would write about those people. Their real life stories would make a fascinating book, I think.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9J8P6WfS7w&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9J8P6WfS7w&fs=1</a>

I watched a utoob that's since been taken down, in which Shelby speaks very frankly to a young black interviewer about racism and Jim Crow. It was heartbreaking for me to watch. You could tell it was very difficult for him to to talk about it.. A very honest and accurate depiction of how things were in the deep south when he was a boy in the 1920's and 30's. I'm sorry I can't find it anymore. I'd like to post it.

Shelby Foote knew more about the Civil War than just about anybody. He made its narrative history his life's work. Yet to  the SJW's of today, he was a racist. (He must have been lying, because he didn't give footnotes. What a crock.)

I share with you the greatest regard for Foote. I read his Civil War trilogy in my 50s. Spellbinding and magisterial. Have been re-reading the middle volume, about Gettysburg. I consider myself an SJW and agree that Foote was no racist.
He was honest.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1969 on: July 11, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1970 on: July 13, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »

"Incinerate the gloves, James. I am through."

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1971 on: July 14, 2018, 08:09:17 AM »

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1972 on: July 14, 2018, 06:37:37 PM »

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1973 on: July 15, 2018, 02:41:23 PM »

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 15, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »

He DIDN'T bow to Lizzie.....

Must not be a Knight of Malta, nor a 33rd ....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1975 on: July 15, 2018, 04:47:05 PM »

He DIDN'T bow to Lizzie.....

Must not be a Knight of Malta, nor a 33rd ....

He blew past the Queen and got in front of her. Class act.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1976 on: July 16, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1977 on: July 16, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1978 on: July 19, 2018, 05:33:34 AM »

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1979 on: July 22, 2018, 06:50:15 AM »