AuthorTopic: The Daily Meme  (Read 257332 times)

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Daily Meme
« Reply #2070 on: October 22, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2071 on: October 22, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2072 on: October 22, 2018, 12:31:03 PM »

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2073 on: October 22, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: October 22, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »

It's not true. Kashoggi's murder is very important. Apparently it's more important than the murder of a million or so Yemenis...
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: October 22, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »

What I don't get is how when education comes free of charge, and is at least somewhat appropriate, that the people to whom it's offered still often don't want any part of it.

That's real, at least here in the heart of the empire. Elsewhere it seems like people value it a lot more than we do.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2076 on: October 22, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »

It's not true. Kashoggi's murder is very important. Apparently it's more important than the murder of a million or so Yemenis...

Quite true.

And quite beside the point.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2077 on: October 22, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »

What I don't get is how when education comes free of charge, and is at least somewhat appropriate, that the people to whom it's offered still often don't want any part of it.

That's real, at least here in the heart of the empire. Elsewhere it seems like people value it a lot more than we do.

Education is anything but free of charge in the FSoA. If you mean public education, or instutionalization of students so parents can work, (including footbaw), that's "free." If you don't pay property tax. If you mean higher education seeking a credential so you can enter a gate-kept profession, that's quite another.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: October 22, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
I mean education. You can learn almost anything you want to know these days on utoob, or by direct research on the net, as far as that goes.  And it goes pretty far, with Khan U. and sites like that.

And public education in the US, for all its faults (and there are many) is so much better than what people had in the historical past, or have in some other places now. There is SOME content in public education. It's there for those who want it. If nothing else, it puts you in possession of a decent library card, in most schools.

But those who need educating the most, the so-called at risk kids, manage to avoid getting much out if it. I know it ain't fun. I remember hating it. But I also remember facts I learned there....algebra, shit like that. And I was far less than motivated.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: October 22, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »

Quite true.

You're journalist. You'd get the irony better if you were Yemeni.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2080 on: October 22, 2018, 02:01:21 PM »

No kidding. I'd also get starvation, cholera, typhus, and then dead pretty quickly.
I've been posting articles about the immorality of the war in Yemen for months, especially in the DDD. This is the first instance that anyone here gave a shit.
Moreover, out there in meatspace, NOBODY gives a flip about Yemen, even at MSNBComcast.

But in related news, Trump says he has 'no financial interests in Saudi Arabia.' But his businesses have made millions from the Saudi government, and the crown prince gave his New York City hotel a huge boost.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-saudi-arabia-financial-interests-ties-hotel-bookings-sales-2018-10

Trump doesn't invest in Saudi, so when he says "he has no investments" there, it's true. The Saudis invest in him.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: October 22, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
I think you understand that our interests and deference to Saudi Arabia is not something that hinges on His Trumpness.....but yeah, the Saudis are used to smoothing out the rough spots caused by their genocidal tendencies, with stacks of cash. It's always worked before.

When they start using Yuan, then the equation changes. Until then, Saudi princes are fairly untouchable, as far as justice goes.

It looks to me like they (the USMIC) are trying to get Salman Jr. up to speed on mass killing, so he can replace Saddam Hussein as our point man on conquering Iran. He gets the new oil fields to replace his rapidly depleting ones, and we get to buy the oil at a price we like, until it's gone.

How's that for a Faustian bargain?

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2082 on: October 22, 2018, 02:17:37 PM »
I mean education. You can learn almost anything you want to know these days on utoob, or by direct research on the net, as far as that goes.  And it goes pretty far, with Khan U. and sites like that.

And public education in the US, for all its faults (and there are many) is so much better than what people had in the historical past, or have in some other places now. There is SOME content in public education. It's there for those who want it. If nothing else, it puts you in possession of a decent library card, in most schools.

But those who need educating the most, the so-called at risk kids, manage to avoid getting much out if it. I know it ain't fun. I remember hating it. But I also remember facts I learned there....algebra, shit like that. And I was far less than motivated.

That wasn't clear to me. Text lacks nuance. Have you ever gotten under the hood of Khan Academy? It's really amazing.

And ditto on the Utoob. It's a sure cure for a lifetime of enforced slackery. I use for "how-to" all the time.

As for kids in the education system today, I am several generations removed from having any understanding of what's on their mind, their motivations, etc. Time was it would be getting high and getting laid. And as Rabbi Hillel once said in a far different context, "All the rest is commentary." All I know is what I can see. When my daughter was coming up, I tried to tell her that she was coming of age in a much tougher school than I did, and she would have to be aware of her need to learn and fight for the opportunity. Because the system wasn't interested in whether she learned or not, no mayyer how well meaning the teachers;) it was interested in her as an opportunity for reimbursement for funding. That didn't take in high school... but she eventually caught fire.

I can understand how kids could survey the world of adults and get overwhelmed, and say in effect, "whatthefuck?" And then think only of  getting high and getting laid. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2083 on: October 22, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »
I think you understand that our interests and deference to Saudi Arabia is not something that hinges on His Trumpness.....but yeah, the Saudis are used to smoothing out the rough spots caused by their genocidal tendencies, with stacks of cash. It's always worked before.

When they start using Yuan, then the equation changes. Until then, Saudi princes are fairly untouchable, as far as justice goes.

It looks to me like they (the USMIC) are trying to get Salman Jr. up to speed on mass killing, so he can replace Saddam Hussein as our point man on conquering Iran. He gets the new oil fields to replace his rapidly depleting ones, and we get to buy the oil at a price we like, until it's gone.

How's that for a Faustian bargain?

I think you have it pegged. They'll just have to remove all those troublesome Shi'a.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #2084 on: October 22, 2018, 09:10:46 PM »

Quite true.

Who is that planet of the Apes chimphead on top of Colbert?  He looks like Cornelius.

Colbert called him 'reverend'.  If he is a 'reverend', he'd better check his messages.

Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.