AuthorTopic: Fuel To Byrne Chris Nelder's Latest  (Read 1293 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Fuel To Byrne Chris Nelder's Latest
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »
The mainstream press never seems to tire of re-writing the new “energy independence” story, despite my repeated debunkings (here, here, and here) of recent Pollyannish articles projecting massive growth this decade from marginal unconventional oil resources.

An April 10 article in the New York Times (”Fuel to Burn, Now What?“) raised the bar on American oil optimism once again, going so far as to suggest that the U.S. might become “a top energy exporter, rivaling some members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries.” This was a remarkable claim, considering that we are still the world’s top oil importer by far, at a net 8.4 million barrels per day (mbpd) according to the Energy Information Administration.

One statement in particular that just begged for debunking was the claim that the U.S. produced 9 mbpd of oil in 2011.
When oil is not oil

To come up with 9 mbpd, one needs to include several categories of liquids that are not actually oil. It is these additional categories that have posted the greatest growth in recent years, and without them, there wouldn’t be much of an optimistic oil story to tell.www.smartplanet.com/blog/energy-futurist/fuel-to-byrne/480              :-\

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Fuel To Byrne Chris Nelder's Latest
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
The mainstream press never seems to tire of re-writing the new “energy independence” story, despite my repeated debunkings (here, here, and here) of recent Pollyannish articles projecting massive growth this decade from marginal unconventional oil resources.

An April 10 article in the New York Times (”Fuel to Burn, Now What?“) raised the bar on American oil optimism once again, going so far as to suggest that the U.S. might become “a top energy exporter, rivaling some members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries.” This was a remarkable claim, considering that we are still the world’s top oil importer by far, at a net 8.4 million barrels per day (mbpd) according to the Energy Information Administration.

One statement in particular that just begged for debunking was the claim that the U.S. produced 9 mbpd of oil in 2011.
When oil is not oil

To come up with 9 mbpd, one needs to include several categories of liquids that are not actually oil. It is these additional categories that have posted the greatest growth in recent years, and without them, there wouldn’t be much of an optimistic oil story to tell.www.smartplanet.com/blog/energy-futurist/fuel-to-byrne/480              :-\

My life became much easier when I realized that if I heard it on TV or read it in a mainstream sheet, it was propaganda, and thus a lie manufactured of whole cloth. All part of the "manufacturing consent" industry, which requires that every corporation maintain a staff of paid liars (called PR professionals) to spin every factoid and to pervert the truth.

"Spawn of Satan" is probably too kind.

Such stories are just part of ExxonMobil's strategy for insuring profits by moving the needle of popular perceptions. None of which could happen if we still had journalism in this country...

...need to back away from the keyboard, feel a rant coming on...

I once read that the word "Pravda" means truth in Russian, whereas "Izvestiya" means news . . . hence the old saw, "There is no truth in News, and there is no news in Truth."
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

nobody

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:28:47 AM »
"When the truth is found to be lies, you know the joy within you dies..."

Poor Jeff turns on the local news every morning to get the weather and traffic he needs for his job.  But sometimes, I just can't take one second more of the winking, smirking, cheerleading, admonishing, sometimes histrionic avalanche of rehypothecated vomit -and I beg him to turn it off.

Rant on, anytime Surly, it's never lost on me.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 07:51:02 AM »
When oil is not oil

This remains a good link and explanation, with some caveats. People seem to want to pretend that things that don't meet some specific and subjective definition of "oil" cannot therefore be "oil".

This is derived in part from a fundamental misunderstanding of basic chemical engineering and a confusion no different than how electricity works when a person flicks a switch.

People do not DEMAND oil. People DEMAND gasoline, diesel and jet fuel. These are all manufactured items, and can be manufactured from all sorts of things, and are. Coal, natural gas, methane hydrates, oily dirt, oil derived from under the oceans, or deep within low permeability source rock, oil so heavy it doesn't even flow as well as molasses.

Perhaps it is better to explain the difference between oil that peak oilers "like", as compared to oil they don't "like", by grouping them not by arbitrary bins of viscosity or density, but by either the mechanisms by which they are retrieved, or perhaps the amount (measured in $$ or energy?) required to change them from their original form to the form that consumers demand?

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »
People do not DEMAND oil. People DEMAND gasoline, diesel and jet fuel. These are all manufactured items, and can be manufactured from all sorts of things, and are. Coal, natural gas, methane hydrates, oily dirt,
Wood... http://coolplanet.com/
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....