AuthorTopic: Bodega Storage Locker  (Read 2930 times)

Offline ross

• Global Moderator
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Bodega Storage Locker
« on: May 03, 2012, 03:33:33 PM »
If the drug stores and grocery stores were stripped bare of dry goods, what would you want to have as barter?

This pertains maintaining a storage locker with dried foods and whatever else you want to sink storage cost into... You can probably spend as little as $50 for the smallest space which is a 5x5.

I'm hoping to narrow down a list of 10 small items of strategic value and I think they're mostly mundane. All these have to be portable because you'll remove them from the locker, ultimately it probably isn't safe.

This would specifically pertain to a situation where fuel was disrupted and just in time availability crashed or was severely rationed for weeks to months.

None of this includes "preps" that you keep. Some will overlap, of course. People will need to "prep" after the fact. All this is for cash, barter, bullion.

Here's a rough start. Emphasis on non-perishable, small, related to life support, OR personal vanity.

Nail clippers
Razor blades
Fire starters
Water purifiers
Fuel siphons
Rechargeable and non- battery, mostly AA
Tampons and sanitary pads
Bars of soup
Toilet paper - although it is bulkier than I like.

A short list to kick off a brainstorm.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Bodega Storage Locker
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
If the drug stores and grocery stores were stripped bare of dry goods, what would you want to have as barter?

This pertains maintaining a storage locker with dried foods and whatever else you want to sink storage cost into... You can probably spend as little as $50 for the smallest space which is a 5x5.

I'm hoping to narrow down a list of 10 small items of strategic value and I think they're mostly mundane. All these have to be portable because you'll remove them from the locker, ultimately it probably isn't safe.

This would specifically pertain to a situation where fuel was disrupted and just in time availability crashed or was severely rationed for weeks to months.

None of this includes "preps" that you keep. Some will overlap, of course. People will need to "prep" after the fact. All this is for cash, barter, bullion.

Here's a rough start. Emphasis on non-perishable, small, related to life support, OR personal vanity.

Nail clippers
Razor blades
Fire starters
Water purifiers
Fuel siphons
Rechargeable and non- battery, mostly AA
Tampons and sanitary pads
Bars of soup
Toilet paper - although it is bulkier than I like.

A short list to kick off a brainstorm.

Where's the Pint Bottles of Vodka?

Other  possibilities

OTC Pharmaceuticals (Ibuprofin, Aspirin, Antihistamines etc)
Antibiotics (Go down to Mexico to buy them in Los Algodones)
Tents & other Camping Gear

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »
the earthy, and now collapse, alternative to conventional menstruation products is the menstrual cup.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
the earthy, and now collapse, alternative to conventional menstruation products is the menstrual cup.

I learned something today. Wow.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
Ross,

Here's what I stock: things that we use regularly, have no shelf life issues (or long term) and offer personal comfort. Such as:

Liqour
Soap
Shampoo
TP
Tampons / Pads
Qtips
Cotton balls
Razor blades (or disposable razors for barter)
Shaving soap (maybe a brush for barter, but these are expensive)
Canning jars, lids, pectin
Leather garden gloves
Matches (I have a fire starter for myself)
Candles
Toothpaste
Coffee filters
Deodorant
Burt's Bees Lip Balm
Kitchen sponges
Hand sanitizer (small pocket sized bottles great for barter)
Laundry detergent
Bleach
Dish soap

CVS has a successful business model for good reason.

Jb

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
An excellent list.

I like the add of pint bottles of vodka as well.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline ross

• Global Moderator
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 05:18:06 PM »
Awesome, JB.

Lot of good ideas there. Really good. Thanks.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »
Any speculation on Intial Trade Values here for these items?

1 Pint Vodka= 3 MREs?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 07:17:57 AM »
There's no way to predict what the value of something will be. It depends on individual needs, their level of desperation, and the availability of certain items wherever you are.

If you live near a military base and the local black market is flooded with MREs, they won't be worth much. Fresh fish is cheap if you live near the shore; same with apples up in the mountains.

Perhaps there will be micro-export opportunities like I see now where people take a refrigerated truck down to the Chesapeake Bay, load up on fresh seafood, drive it up to Charlottesville to sell at a premium. I've thought about using my hybrid this way: take a couple of bushels of apples down to the bay, fill up a couple of coolers of ice with steamed crab and head home.....low margin though. I might be better selling or bartering off my gasoline ration for something else.

In fact, if all of the above items on my list are still readily available, you won't get much for them but at least you can use them at home. Just like your food planning: buy and store what you eat.

Jb

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »
Any speculation on Intial Trade Values here for these items?

1 Pint Vodka= 3 MREs?

RE

in a utopian collapse it would depend on one's tolerance.

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »
This post tells me storage facilities will be great places to look for supplies!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Storage Cache Paradigm
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »
This post tells me storage facilities will be great places to look for supplies!

The Storage Locker Paradigm is only good up until the day BEFORE TSHTF.  You have to get all your preps TFO of the Storage Locker and into the Trailer of your Bugout Machine and make the Final Bugout before the roving gangs of Zombies are ransacking Storage Units.

The only really SAFE "Storage Units" would be along the lines of the Bunker that dude had who recently went Postal and killed himself and wife and daughter.  This is the "Storage Cache" paradigm.

In the SC paradigm, you modularize your preps into 55 Gallon Drums or PVC Containers and bury them in wilderness areas which only you know the geographical coordinates for. 
You should be able to navigate back to the location without the aid of a GPS by triangulating off of visible markers like distant mountains, lakes, roads etc and then hone down the location with Trees, large Rocks etc by pacing off distances and making an  X Marks the Spot Pirate buried Treasure map.  Better is just to commit this to memory and dispense with the hard copies if your memory is good enough for this.  I am very good with this type of thing, I can hold a lot of memorized data in my head so I haven't written down any of the parameters for my storage caches, of which I have 4 sprinkled around the Matsu Valley.

[Note:  This is a practiced skill which comes from travelling around a lot and memorizing directions and locations.  Its one any Trucker has, I am sure Jeff (Nobody's Significant Other) also has.  Taxi Drivers also have this skill built in.  After you do it for a year or two, memorizing directions and landmarks to hundreds of locations is not too difficult.]

Each cache should be its own self-contained and redundant set of preps, with Food, Tools, Tents, Winter Gear and some CASH FRNs and Gold if you have some.  If you are hoping to set up a Bodega later on, a second container with Barter Items would be buried nearby.

If you do manage to time it JUST right and GTFO of Dodge with your whole Storage Unit full of Preps, you probably have a good week or so to drive around your Final Bugout location area and bury the preps in their Modules.  Then you camouflage and hide the Bugout Machine, taking off the wheels and distributor cap etc and draining the gas tank and bury all those in separate locations away from the Bugout Machine.

Finally, with just what you can carry with you perhaps with BMX Bike and Trailer, you head out for as remote a location as you can get to and stay very small.  No campfires for a while at least, a few weeks.  Do any hunting by trapping, or utilizing Bow and Arrow or Atlatl.  Go for small game you can eat in one sitting, raw obviously until you feel safe enough to make fires.  You can use Propane for runninng camp stoves during this period also.

Move around your area regularly to get to know the lay of the land and build a variety of Primitive Shelters in good locations, disguising them as much as possible.  Overhanging rocks are good, areas with dense trees and underbrush also good.  Cover your tracks anytime you leave such a location.  You don't have to go nuts with this, neither Zombies or the Gestapo really have good Wilderness tracking skills as of yet, but don't leave OBVIOUS tracks like big footprints  and waste bones around.

Also don't forget to take your best dog with you.  Dogs are great Alarm Systems for anybody else trekking around your neighborhood.  They'll also help you hunt down enough game to feed both you and them, they'll drive the game your way and you just sit in a blind and wait for the game to run through the Kill Zone.  May take some time training the Dog if its life to date was as a House Pet, but frankly even a Cocker Spaniel can be a help with this and its natural for them to do it so they will learn fast enough.  Still a larger Dog is probably better, and up here you gotta stick with the beefy ones like Huskies.  If things get real bad also, you can always eat your Dog as well, though this is real End-of-the-Line stuff, its pretty much like eating one of your kids when the relationship is that close with your Dog.

Note: I do not have my own Dogs.  My current lifestyle precludes it, they take too much time.  However, I do have friends who run the Iditarod, and I sure will not be heading out into the Wilderness without those friends except to give myself up to the Bear.  I wouldn't last more than 6 months I think on my own.

RE
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:05:32 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can