AuthorTopic: The New Nature  (Read 44845 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Wicked Winds
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
It will soon be two years since I took Mike's course, and I still have NO functional turbine going of any kind, so I can't say much....but the last time I checked, several months back, there was only one small vertical axis turbine for sale commercially, and it had to be ordered from Europe. Vertical axis turbines have much to recommend them, but also their own set of problems.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
I have one just like it in the garage. Mounting one is the hardest part. Where you are a 20 ft pipe would be adequate.

But in that kind of wind you have to worry about it being blown apart. My friend Mike in AZ has simple tech to deal with high wind. He only uses aluminum blades, which are easy and cheap to replace, and he's rigged these tilt-up mounts that allow the unit to rotate 90 degrees when the gusts hit, depowering them. It works well up to 55 mph. Then you need to be able to get it down and out of the wind.

http://www.mikeswindmillshop.com/product/sp-73-80-high-wind-tilt

If you buy one, I recommend Mike. He builds them by hand, himself, and he's been doing it for a long time. He will provide good support.

According to the promotional ad, the Wind Blue stands up to 100 mph winds.

These are NOT Cheap Thin Aluminum blades. A Hail Storm will not damage them and Winds up to 100 MPH will not Bend them

There are a few people around here who have Wind turbines up, and after the wind storms I haven't seen any damage to them.  They are more the large propeller designs though.

Still blowing up a storm out there today.  No BBQ. :(

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
the last time I checked, several months back, there was only one small vertical axis turbine for sale commercially, and it had to be ordered from Europe. Vertical axis turbines have much to recommend them, but also their own set of problems.
LOL yes, extremely limited commercial availability is one of the major drawbacks of VAWTs... I figured that would not be a problem for a man with his own welder ;)
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2015, 12:49:50 AM »
Wind still incredibly high out there, I just got back inside from a Smoking trip into the elements.  LOL.

Now 4 solid days of this shit, and it's really starting to feel like "the end of the world".  I mean really, if you can't even go outside and peacefully smoke a Cancerette, things are pretty bad.   ::)

According to the graphs on Weather Underground, we're supposed to drop back to normal 7mph wind speeds tomorrow.  I sure hope so, because this is getting really tiresome.  Also supposed to see balmy temps in the 30s for the next week.

WHY this huge pressure differential here this last week though?  No storms were identified that I know of.  What is it that is whipping up the wind here right now?

One interesting effect of the high winds for so many days is the small snow accumulation we had is all GONE.  Without Melting.  Its being Sublimated, turned straight from solid Ice to Water Vapor.  My Ford SUV which I never drive these days was covered in snow a few days ago, now its clear of any snow, even though the temps never went above 15F for the last week.  It didn't just Blow Away, since if it did it would be in a pile somewhere else.  It's just GONE, into the atmosphere.

Glad I didn't waste my energy clearing the snow off of it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The New Nature
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2015, 04:24:11 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qolE0l71fRQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qolE0l71fRQ&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2015, 04:37:54 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qolE0l71fRQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qolE0l71fRQ&fs=1</a>

CRAP!

And I thought the Dead Crickets on my back porch were a Bad Omen!

This is not looking good.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2015, 04:42:28 AM »
All is not well in the merry old land of Oz
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2015, 05:21:15 AM »

I am going to put this one up as the Feature Video on Diner TV on the Homepage.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2015, 11:41:29 AM »

I am going to put this one up as the Feature Video on Diner TV on the Homepage.

RE

Glad to be able to help. It's a doozie !

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The New Nature - Giant plasma tubes floating above Earth
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2015, 10:27:42 AM »
http://www.sciencealert.com/australian-student-confirms-that-giant-plasma-tubes-are-floating-above-earth