PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> New feature - DRAFTS

AuthorTopic: New feature - DRAFTS  (Read 4980 times)

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
New feature - DRAFTS
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:29:57 AM »
You'll now notice a new button on the post editor page [Save as Draft] which allows you to keep a post invisible while you work on it across several editing sessions. To later find drafts to continue to work on them, or to post them, click on [Profile] on the main menu and you will see a choice on the left of the screen to access your drafts.  A list of all your drafts also shows just below the post editor window.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:38:27 AM by peter »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: New feature - DRAFTS
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
Thanks again, Peter, and again, and again...
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

nobody

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »
"Draft" button.  Thanks a bunch Peter.  Now I'll have no excuse whatsoever for the strange utterances I sometimes post.

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:50:43 AM »
 :exp-smiley: There is one limitation - 'attachments' won't be saved with drafts. Media included within a post body through using aeva or linking to other hosting sites or urls will be saved.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:22:02 AM »
Lively start to the day for the Breakfast crowd in the Diner.

Drafts is a nice feature.  I'm still pulling for auto-updating of the Newz Page with posting from the Forum.  :coffee:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:46:34 AM »
Lively start to the day for the Breakfast crowd in the Diner.

Drafts is a nice feature.  I'm still pulling for auto-updating of the Newz Page with posting from the Forum.  :coffee:

RE

The two authors of the Aeva images mod were major contributors to the SMF forum development group who had a falling out and went their own way about 2 years ago. Development of Aeva within SMF has been halted because the developers are working on their own fork of SMF which they call Wedge. After 2 years they are close to making available a Beta of Wedge which includes upgrades to Aeva and Blogging capability similar to Wordpress. I will be checking it out as it becomes available.

There is a mod for SMF which automatically creates a news page within SMF from new topics posted everywhere. It would not be able to update the blog. It's on my to do list to check it out.

For me to write the code to link WP and SMF more closely would entail a huge learning curve to learn the syntax of the current languages used for such programming. I can poke around with guess and by golly and make minor changes based on my understanding of programming logic but to do large blocks of code means learning the exact structure of the languages. I don't have the interest to go there.   

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
I'm still pulling for auto-updating of the Newz Page with posting from the Forum.
I could possibly put together an automated sequence that admins can use to take a post in the forum, run it through the BBC>HTML converter and then place it into the blog as a draft for final editing all with one click.

The BBC>HTML converter does not know how to deal with the aeva image BBcodes, in WP these appear as the codes instead of the images. They are easily replaced and images in the aeva gallery can be referenced without uploading them again. The process of inserting the images is quick and easy.

Another way to approach the image problem is to use the html links available in the gallery in forum posts instead of the aeva bbcodes. You would have to manually edit the html code to get the sizing you want in the forum but this is straight forward and quick. THe inserted images would then translate over properly.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:00:53 AM by peter »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »
I'm still pulling for auto-updating of the Newz Page with posting from the Forum.
I could possibly put together an automated sequence that admins can use to take a post in the forum, run it through the BBC>HTML converter and then place it into the blog as a draft for final editing all with one click.

The BBC>HTML converter does not know how to deal with the aeva image BBcodes, in WP these appear as the codes instead of the images. They are easily replaced and images in the aeva gallery can be referenced without uploading them again. The process of inserting the images is quick and easy.

Another way to approach the image problem is to use the html links available in the gallery in forum posts instead of the aeva bbcodes. You would have to manually edit the html code to get the sizing you want in the forum but this is straight forward and quick. THe inserted images would then translate over properly.

The automated sequencing would be fine, and it doesn't need to move the images.  I'm just looking for a way to quickly move text excerpts from the Forum to the Newz Page as I read them.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 11:42:38 AM »
The automated sequencing would be fine, and it doesn't need to move the images.  I'm just looking for a way to quickly move text excerpts from the Forum to the Newz Page as I read them.

RE

One really easy way to do that without any automation is to have enough screen real estate to have a browser window open in WP and another in the forum.  I often have 4 windows open WP - view & edit  Forum - view & edit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »

RE

One really easy way to do that without any automation is to have enough screen real estate to have a browser window open in WP and another in the forum.  I often have 4 windows open WP - view & edit  Forum - view & edit.

That is how I do it now, but its a tedious process.  Besides Copy Pasting the text I also have to do the Title and Bold it/change font size and then also paste in the link to the forum post.  If I could have just one button which would select out the text I highlight and automate the rest to do just one paste into a Table Cell, this would simplify the process quite a bit.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

nobody

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 07:01:33 AM »
I can well imagine RE's set-up in his well-prepped cabin; about 7 computers and a chair on wheels, Conan posters on the walls...
But Peter, living on the edge, one hand extended into that rainbow... and then this first class workstation.  Techno-alchemist?  Where's the raven?  I often wonder what holds you in this world.

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
I can well imagine RE's set-up in his well-prepped cabin; about 7 computers and a chair on wheels, Conan posters on the walls...
But Peter, living on the edge, one hand extended into that rainbow... and then this first class workstation.  Techno-alchemist?  Where's the raven?  I often wonder what holds you in this world.

A raven asked me that once many years ago. My answer was that I still felt I had lessons to learn here. That is still true to the point I wouldn't volunteer to leave, but given an opportunity such as the rainbow today I wouldn't hesitate to see where it leads.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:14:44 AM by peter »